No excuse for a Gators loss in 2018

Since Fla/LSU and Fla/GA are always on, fans have had lots of opportunities to see how "it's done." However, the Gators always carry themselves with a well-earned confidence and swagger against TN that I don't see as much in the other two match-ups. More than just winning, TN needs to erase that ingrained confidence that Fla possesses against the Vols.

We have a coach and staff who has no earthly idea what the Florida fuss is about.

Reactions: 5 people
We have a coach and staff who has no earthly idea what the Florida fuss is about.

Yeah. With the notable exception of 2016, Butch was always very conservative in the 4th quarter vs Florida. He looked nervous and the team followed his lead. If he was still the coach, I would expect us to lose yet another close game this year in unique and creative fashion... but he's not and bringing up the past just doesn't seem as relevant.

Reactions: 1 person
You know you’ve arrived when you start speaking third person. :good!:

Reactions: 4 people
You know you’ve arrived when you start speaking third person. :good!:

You've arrived!

il_340x270.1075026809_t2ip.jpg

I’ve come around. You guys have me convinced. There’s no excuse for a Gators loss in 2018. Let’s look at the evidence.

According to VolNation:

1) We have equal to or greater talent than UF
2) Pruitt is the better coach because the majority here would rather have him over Mullen
3) Obvious home field advantage
4) Gonna get corched up
5) Gonna punch ‘em in the mouff
6) Gonna play outta our minds
7) Cause Tony Burnhard sez so

Now the question is do we win by 2 touchdowns or 3?

Not sure where you've been, but we haven't had a real home field advantage since the late 90s. That was one of my big disappointments with Fulmer in his last 7-8 years as to how we sort of lost our home field advantage and haven't really gotten it back since

Not sure where you've been, but we haven't had a real home field advantage since the late 90s. That was one of my big disappointments with Fulmer in his last 7-8 years as to how we sort of lost our home field advantage and haven't really gotten it back since

In Fulmer's next to last season in 2007, Tennessee went 7-0 at home with a 21 point win over Georgia who finished ranked #3.

I gave you a like cause I'm counting on it, but I've thought that before.

Ok. While you’re at it, add that these guys are accustomed to WINNING against Florida.

In Fulmer's next to last season in 2007, Tennessee went 7-0 at home with a 21 point win over Georgia who finished ranked #3.

OK...in 2001 we got beat at home by Georgia.
IN 2002 we got BLOWN OUT at home by Florida, Alabama and Miami.

In 2003 we got blown out at home by Georgia
In 2004 we got blown out by Auburn at home and beat by a mediocre Notre Dame at hom
In 2005.......no need to rehash those debacles
In 2006 lost at home to Florida and LSU

2007 was an exception.

Sorry

OK...in 2001 we got beat at home by Georgia.
IN 2002 we got BLOWN OUT at home by Florida, Alabama and Miami.

In 2003 we got blown out at home by Georgia
In 2004 we got blown out by Auburn at home and beat by a mediocre Notre Dame at hom
In 2005.......no need to rehash those debacles
In 2006 lost at home to Florida and LSU

2007 was an exception.

Sorry

In 2001, the Georgia game was our only home loss. In 2002, Tennessee simply wasn't very good. In 2003, Georgia was once again our only home loss. In 2004, Auburn went undefeated and Tennessee would have beaten Notre Dame if not for the injury to Erik Ainge just before halftime. In 2005, Tennessee was once again not very good. In 2006, Florida won the National Championship but Tennessee almost pulled the upset at home... LSU won the Sugar Bowl that year and that game was also close.

In the years when Tennessee had good teams under Fulmer, they were also very strong at home (but not perfect - not many teams are)

Yeah. With the notable exception of 2016, Butch was always very conservative in the 4th quarter vs Florida. He looked nervous and the team followed his lead. If he was still the coach, I would expect us to lose yet another close game this year in unique and creative fashion... but he's not and bringing up the past just doesn't seem as relevant.
It's like he put them on a pedestal for being Florida. It's like no matter how good we were the teams that meant the most were the ones we lost.

In 2001, the Georgia game was our only home loss. In 2002, Tennessee simply wasn't very good. In 2003, Georgia was once again our only home loss. In 2004, Auburn went undefeated and Tennessee would have beaten Notre Dame if not for the injury to Erik Ainge just before halftime. In 2005, Tennessee was once again not very good. In 2006, Florida won the National Championship but Tennessee almost pulled the upset at home... LSU won the Sugar Bowl that year and that game was also close.

In the years when Tennessee had good teams under Fulmer, they were also very strong at home (but not perfect - not many teams are)

In the 2000s as I stated in my post, we weren't very good at home.

Sorry

In the 2000s as I stated in my post, we weren't very good at home.

Sorry

And that's not true. There were in fact 4 years (2000, 2001, 2003 and 2007) when Tennessee lost 1 or fewer games at home and 2 other seasons (2004, 2006) when they lost only twice at home. You call anything short of perfection "not very good" when your competition includes teams as good as Auburn in '04 and Florida and LSU in '06?

Reactions: 2 people
And that's not true. There were in fact 4 years (2000, 2001, 2003 and 2007) when Tennessee lost 1 or fewer games at home and 2 other seasons (2004, 2006) when they lost only twice at home. You call anything short of perfection "not very good" when your competition includes teams as good as Auburn in '04 and Florida and LSU in '06?

WE were favored against both Florida and LSU in 2006. We were clearly better than Notre Dame as well. Should have beat them regardless of Ainge's injury. That loss was on our coaches. We got blown out by Georgia in 2003. So you can't make the claim that we had any sort of real home field advantage with our biggest rivals. That 2002 team was chock block full of NFL starters. Beginning of the end for Fulmer

Obviously we have completely different standards. I stand by my post

WE were favored against both Florida and LSU in 2006. We were clearly better than Notre Dame as well. Should have beat them regardless of Ainge's injury. That loss was on our coaches

Obviously we have completely different standards. I stand by my post

I don't remember what the lines were in '06 but I do remember that Florida won the National Championship that year with a defense as good as any I've seen.

I don't remember what the lines were in '06 but I do remember that Florida won the National Championship that year with a defense as good as any I've seen.

Yes, they won a bunch of close games and their defense was stellar. We looked awful in the 4th quarter against them. Ainge had a couple of grounding calls on critical 3rd downs, which weren't too uncharacteristic of him as he had a tendency to melt down under pressure. Probably a result of his opioid addiction

VN Store

Back