NIT, CBI, CIT, Vegas 16

Let me ask you this GTO? Do you think we have to beat UGA to get into the NIT? Is it a must win for us to make it there? I think so but I've seen others say it's not a must win.

The NIT will not take teams under or at .500 at all now. As a matter of fact, they like teams to be 2-3 games above .500 in recent years. Thanks.

IMO, beat GA and they're in. Lose and they'll need a lot of help... mainly with those 1-bid conference champs taking their tournaments as well.

A winning record isn't an NIT "requirement", but they almost always have had At-Large teams with winning records... possibly always. It's not a qualifying rule though.

The CBI routinely takes majors with losing records, but would TN accept a bid and pay their way to play in that one? The best thing about the CBI is that the final two teams play a best 2 out of 3 series.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO, beat GA and they're in. Lose and they'll need a lot of help... mainly with those 1-bid conference champs taking their tournaments as well.

A winning record isn't an NIT "requirement", but they almost always have had At-Large teams with winning records... possibly always. It's not a qualifying rule though.

The CBI routinely takes majors with losing records, but would TN accept a bid and pay their way to play in that one? The best thing about the CBI is that the final two teams play a best 2 out of 3 series.

I know that I've never known the NIT to take a team that wasn't at least 1 game over .500 & I don't remember any being at .500 either. Thanks!

I know that I've never known the NIT to take a team that wasn't at least 1 game over .500 & I don't remember any being at .500 either. Thanks!

This year was very strange with the log jam on the NCAAT bubble a week or two ago. How that translates and trickles down to the NIT At Large bids I really have no clue. To be safe, TN needs that win over GA and very few 1-bid conference tourney upsets taking place.

Reactions: 1 person
This year was very strange with the log jam on the NCAAT bubble a week or two ago. How that translates and trickles down to the NIT At Large bids I really have no clue. To be safe, TN needs that win over GA and very few 1-bid conference tourney upsets taking place.

I agree with ya!

backing into the NIT.....what does that mean we cracked the TOP 90 and this team gets to practice another week or two. Blah Blah Blah, sorry to seem so negative.....Go Big Orange

backing into the NIT.....what does that mean we cracked the TOP 90 and this team gets to practice another week or two. Blah Blah Blah, sorry to seem so negative.....Go Big Orange

And if we didn't make the NIT, I'm guessing you'd complain that "we can't even make the NIT".

Beat UGA and I think we get into the NIT. Lose, and I think we're on the bubble

I think we should accept any post season bid, even if it's CBI. University might lose money, but I consider it an investment in the future. More experience can only help, I would think

No

I saw this year as the NIT being the best this team could hope for. If they make it they achieved full Potenial. If not they came dang close.

I thought the same thing at the beginning of the year, but that changed when this team had the chance to make the tourney.

Not that long ago the NIT was worst case scenario with tourney being best case. If they don't make the NIT it would be a failed season. If they had beat LSU they would almost certainly be guaranteed a spot in the NIT. Losing to LSU was unacceptable.

Expectations can change over the course of the season.

wouldn't you

Yes, but not for the same reason you would. I'd complain because the NIT was a real goal while the NCAAT at one point was doable but it's not exactly any shock we didn't make it.

You're complaining that we're even talking about the NIT. Yeah it's not the best but it's better to make it than to not.

I thought the same thing at the beginning of the year, but that changed when this team had the chance to make the tourney.

Not that long ago the NIT was worst case scenario with tourney being best case. If they don't make the NIT it would be a failed season. If they had beat LSU they would almost certainly be guaranteed a spot in the NIT. Losing to LSU was unacceptable.

Expectations can change over the course of the season.
There was never Much of a gap at all with the team regarding the NCAA and NIT. A few games over 500 were dancing worth so the difference was Minumal

Yes, but not for the same reason you would. I'd complain because the NIT was a real goal while the NCAAT at one point was doable but it's not exactly any shock we didn't make it.

You're complaining that we're even talking about the NIT. Yeah it's not the best but it's better to make it than to not.

There was only one time I was mad at the way UT got into a tourney. CCM's last year.

With the talent he had they should have comfortably sealed a spot. No reason we should have been sweating it out on selection day.

There was never Much of a gap at all with the team regarding the NCAA and NIT. A few games over 500 were dancing worth so the difference was Minumal

The difference was tourney bubble, safely in NIT as a back up, and now NIT bubble.

Again, losing to LSU was unacceptable, win that and NIT is locked up. If that game is the reason they miss the NIT then that would make this season a failure.

Gives an idea of how hard it is to get in NIT.
St. Bonaventure Bracket
Seed School Conference Record Berth type
1 St. Bonaventure Atlantic 10 22–8 At-Large
2 BYU West Coast 23–10 At-Large
3 Virginia Tech ACC 19–14 At-Large
4 Creighton Big East 18–14 At-Large
5 Alabama SEC 18–14 At-Large
6 Princeton Ivy 22–6 At-Large
7 UAB C-USA 26–6 Automatic
8 Wagner Northeast 22–10 Automatic

South Carolina Bracket
1 South Carolina SEC 24–8 At-Large
2 San Diego State Mountain West 25–9 Automatic
3 Washington Pac-12 18–14 At-Large
4 Georgia Tech ACC 19–14 At-Large
5 Houston American 22–9 At-Large
6 Long Beach State Big West 20–14 At-Large
7 IPFW Summit 24–9 Automatic
8 High Point Big South 21–10 Automatic

Valparaiso Bracket
1 Valparaiso Horizon 26–6 Automatic
2 Saint Mary's West Coast 27–5 Automatic
3 Georgia SEC 19–13 At-Large
4 Florida State ACC 19–13 At-Large
5 Davidson Atlantic 10 20–12 At-Large
6 Belmont Ohio Valley 20–11 Automatic
7 New Mexico State WAC 23–10 Automatic
8 Texas Southern SWAC 18–14 Automatic

Monmouth Bracket
1 Monmouth MAAC 27–7 Automatic
2 Florida SEC 19–14 At-Large
3 Ohio State Big Ten 20–13 At-Large
4 George Washington Atlantic 10 23–10 At-Large
5 Hofstra Colonial 24–9 Automatic
6 Akron MAC 26–8 Automatic
7 North Florida Atlantic Sun 22–11 Automatic
8 Bucknell Patriot 17–13 Automatic

Gives an idea of how hard it is to get in NIT.
St. Bonaventure Bracket
1 St. Bonaventure Atlantic 10 22–8 At-Large
2 BYU West Coast 23–10 At-Large
3 Virginia Tech ACC 19–14 At-Large
4 Creighton Big East 18–14 At-Large
5 Alabama SEC 18–14 At-Large
6 Princeton Ivy 22–6 At-Large
7 UAB C-USA 26–6 Automatic
8 Wagner Northeast 22–10 Automatic

South Carolina Bracket
1 South Carolina SEC 24–8 At-Large
2 San Diego State Mountain West 25–9 Automatic
3 Washington Pac-12 18–14 At-Large
4 Georgia Tech ACC 19–14 At-Large
5 Houston American 22–9 At-Large
6 Long Beach State Big West 20–14 At-Large
7 IPFW Summit 24–9 Automatic
8 High Point Big South 21–10 Automatic

Valparaiso Bracket
1 Valparaiso Horizon 26–6 Automatic
2 Saint Mary's West Coast 27–5 Automatic
3 Georgia SEC 19–13 At-Large
4 Florida State ACC 19–13 At-Large
5 Davidson Atlantic 10 20–12 At-Large
6 Belmont Ohio Valley 20–11 Automatic
7 New Mexico State WAC 23–10 Automatic
8 Texas Southern SWAC 18–14 Automatic

Monmouth Bracket
1 Monmouth MAAC 27–7 Automatic
2 Florida SEC 19–14 At-Large
3 Ohio State Big Ten 20–13 At-Large
4 George Washington Atlantic 10 23–10 At-Large
5 Hofstra Colonial 24–9 Automatic
6 Akron MAC 26–8 Automatic
7 North Florida Atlantic Sun 22–11 Automatic
8 Bucknell Patriot 17–13 Automatic

You might want to credit or at least explain what you've copied and pasted. Is that a previous year? Is that somebody's bracketology? Is that just a random list?

2016 bracket. Title on desktop. George Washington won. South Dakota State, a team the Bucs beat earlier in the year, was a semi-finalist and won the Summit League tourney yesterday.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back