NIT Bracketology

heres the thing, for us to have the best shot at making the dance we need the following to happen:

-we have to win out
-we need UK to win out
-we need miss st to win out except tonight vs uk
-we need bama to lose as much as possible
-we need vandy to lose to either uk or florida

if all this happens if my calculations are correct, we would finish 3rd with vandy 4th and miss st, and most likely LSU 6th. bama is the 5th team getting in from the sec, i still think because of how weak the other conferences are this year that the sec MAY get 6 but to play it safe we'll go off them only getting 5.

at this point UK, Florida, Vandy and Miss St are all pretty safely in the tournament(miss st barring a flace plant), that currently leaves bama, ole miss and lsu fighting for that 5th spot. we need all 3 of those teams to really face plant and lose a few going forward.

No, it's not. The Big East is a paper tiger with three good teams and a bunch of mediocre ones. One of those three good teams (Marquette) got thrashed by Vanderbilt at home and lost to LSU. The Big East will get the most teams into the tournament, like usual, but don't forget that's because it has the most teams.

The ACC is weak. UNC and Duke are still pretty good, but neither of them are any where near Kentucky. Florida State is pretty good, but they're way more erratic than either Florida or Vanderbilt. Virginia is a similar team to Alabama in that they don't score too well but they play tight defense. But, where the SEC is better than the ACC is at the bottom... This will put it in perspective: South Carolina beat Clemson at Clemson.

UNC would like to debate that with their 1 point loss at rupp.:unsure:

And that's with Connecticut at 24th in the RPI and Seton Hall at 36th... Neither are anywhere close to being that good right now. Again, the Big East is a paper tiger.

And, Mississippi State has been face planting lately. They're no longer safe... But they could regain that safety tonight.

And that's with Connecticut at 24th in the RPI and Seton Hall at 36th... Neither are anywhere close to being that good right now. Again, the Big East is a paper tiger.

i would take seton hall and uconn vs the sec 9 and 10, sorry.

you can do the mix and match game all day where this team beat that team, i mean Pitt who is a bottom dweller in the big east this year beat the #4 team in the sec. the big east bottom dweller in providence beat the sec bottom dweller in SC, so i mean it works both ways.

clearly they are a better conference though top to bottom, i really dont think its even an arguement.

Last edited:
How about that 33 point loss to Florida State?

im not debating they had their bad showings, but to say that neither team is close to UK is a bit out of line i think. especially when you consider how well UNC played UK AT RUPP, we all know how hard it is to play at that place, you as a gator fan should definitely know this.

Oh, yeah, but I meant that they were inflating the conferences RPIs. Those teams aren't bad, but they're not the 24th and 36th best teams in the country.

no but do you feel SMU is the #11 team in the country? UNLV #14? Wichita St #15? Gonzaga #20? St. Louis #22? Colorado St #30?

the RPI isnt a reflection of the rankings, do you feel bama is #30? i sure dont.

and on the flip side murray st is a top 15 team yet their rpi is #35.

how would you rank the conferences without taking the rpi into considertaion? you'd put the sec above the big east?

Last edited:
im not debating they had their bad showings, but to say that neither team is close to UK is a bit out of line i think. especially when you consider how well UNC played UK AT RUPP, we all know how hard it is to play at that place, you as a gator fan should definitely know this.
That game was also in December. Of course it means something, but Kentucky's improved a lot over the course of the season, imo, and UNC hasn't. UNC has the potential to beat UK, but UNC is erratic, and UK is not. That's why I think UK is a league above UNC right now, and UK is a league above everyone, except for maybe Syracuse.

:sick: I'm defending Kentucky. :sick:

That game was also in December. Of course it means something, but Kentucky's improved a lot over the course of the season, imo, and UNC hasn't. UNC has the potential to beat UK, but UNC is erratic, and UK is not. That's why I think UK is a league above UNC right now, and UK is a league above everyone, except for maybe Syracuse.

:sick: I'm defending Kentucky. :sick:

im still in the minority that i almost think UK has peaked too soon. i could be completely incorrect on that, and if they make this run all the way to a championship, imo it will be one of the most impressive basketball seasons in recent memory.

i feel an experienced team though, THAT HAS A LOT OF TALENT, will be able to give them problems on a neutral court. JMO

no but do you feel SMU is the #11 team in the country? UNLV #14? Wichita St #15? Gonzaga #20? St. Louis #22? Colorado St #30?

the RPI isnt a reflection of the rankings, do you feel bama is #30? i sure dont.

and on the flip side murray st is a top 15 team yet their rpi is #35.
Those are outliers, though (even though Wichita State is that good).There's a pattern in this year's Big East that a lot of teams are ranked higher in the RPI than they would be in a human poll. As for Murray State, they're only ranked that high in the human poll because they've only lost one game. They haven't done much, though, so that 35th may be more accurate than we know.

EDIT: And, with Green, I think Alabama is a Top 25 team, so... Yeah.

Last edited:
Those are outliers, though (even though Wichita State is that good).There's a pattern in this year's Big East that a lot of teams are ranked higher in the RPI than they would be in a human poll. As for Murray State, they're only ranked that high in the human poll because they've only lost one game. They haven't done much, though, so that 35th may be more accurate than we know.

seeing as how they just beat the tar out of a top 20 team in st marys i think they are more than deserving of that top 20 ranking.

but the rpi works both ways in the big east. USF is a good team whose rpi is crap compared to what other big east teams with their record are. their record is the same as UCONN, but with a better conference record and yet their rpi is about 30 spots higher than UCONN. Cincy has a rpi around 80, do you feel they are the 80th team in the country? i dont, they are pretty good.

there is just no way you can look at the top 12 of the big east and say they arent better than the 12 of the sec.

Edit: they havent been top 25 since the first week of december, WAYYY before they lost any of their guys. what makes them top 25 now?

Last edited:
South Florida's RPI is 50, which is good for what they've done this year. I don't give a crap as to what their Big East record is, since the only decent teams they've beaten are Seton Hall and Cleveland State. They got pounded by Auburn back in December.

Cincinnati is pretty much the one Big East team that isn't overestimated by the RPI, imo. They're an exception.

seeing as how they just beat the tar out of a top 20 team in st marys i think they are more than deserving of that top 20 ranking.

but the rpi works both ways in the big east. USF is a good team whose rpi is crap compared to what other big east teams with their record are. their record is the same as UCONN, but with a better conference record and yet their rpi is about 30 spots higher than UCONN. Cincy has a rpi around 80, do you feel they are the 80th team in the country? i dont, they are pretty good.

there is just no way you can look at the top 12 of the big east and say they arent better than the 12 of the sec.
Because the Big East is a 16-team conference, that's completely unfair. It's like taking the best four teams out of the Big East and comparing the worst 12 to the SEC. You have to compare them as a whole (no matter how hard that is). The Big East and SEC are on about the same level this year. Whether or not it's better than the SEC (I don't think it is, but I'm fine with others thinking it is), it's not the juggernaut that it usually is.

South Florida's RPI is 50, which is good for what they've done this year. I don't give a crap as to what their Big East record is, since the only decent teams they've beaten are Seton Hall and Cleveland State. They got pounded by Auburn back in December.

Cincinnati is pretty much the one Big East team that isn't overestimated by the RPI, imo. They're an exception.

cuse - kentucky
marquette Wflorida
notre dame Wvandy
georgetownW miss st
s floridaW bama
louisvilleW lsu
cincyW tennessee
wvW arky
seton hall Wole miss
uconnW auburn
st johnsW georgia
rutgersW s carolina

thats big east 8-3-1 i have the cuse uk game as neutral, i dont think its fair to pick that either way. do you see those 12 playing out much different?

cuse - kentucky
marquette Wflorida
notre dame Wvandy
georgetownW miss st
s floridaW bama
louisvilleW lsu
cincyW tennessee
wvW arky
seton hall Wole miss
uconnW auburn
st johnsW georgia
rutgersW s carolina

thats big east 8-3-1 i have the cuse uk game as neutral, i dont think its fair to pick that either way. do you see those 12 playing out much different?
You're going into hypotheticals now... The season series between the SEC and Big East is 10-10. That's real; that's concrete.

Because the Big East is a 16-team conference, that's completely unfair. It's like taking the best four teams out of the Big East and comparing the worst 12 to the SEC. You have to compare them as a whole (no matter how hard that is). The Big East and SEC are on about the same level this year. Whether or not it's better than the SEC (I don't think it is, but I'm fine with others thinking it is), it's not the juggernaut that it usually is.

oh its definitely not the juggernaut it usually is that is for sure but to say its not better than the sec top to bottom isnt true.

just simply use a percentage of teams from each conference that make the tournament, thats fair.

9/16 from the big east
5/12 from the sec

the big east gets a much higher % of their teams in than the sec does, pretty simple.

And, if you want to say that South Florida is a good team, then here are the teams they've beaten in Big East play:

Seton Hall
Pitt (x2)
Villanova (x2)
St John's
Rutgers
Providence (x2)
DePaul

That's weak. They haven't beaten a solid tournament team in Big East play yet.

But, I've derailed this thread, so I'll shut up now. :p

oh its definitely not the juggernaut it usually is that is for sure but to say its not better than the sec top to bottom isnt true.

just simply use a percentage of teams from each conference that make the tournament, thats fair.

9/16 from the big east
5/12 from the sec

the big east gets a much higher % of their teams in than the sec does, pretty simple.
One more post: I think one of Cincinnati/Seton Hall misses the tournament, and I think LSU sneaks in. I think the Big East gets 8 out of 16, and the SEC will get 6 out of 12. They're pretty much equal, imo. With my bias, I say the SEC is better.

You're going into hypotheticals now... The season series between the SEC and Big East is 10-10. That's real; that's concrete.

you are correct in that, but UK also played 2 big east teams not just 1 so the big east was forced to play our best team twice.

i absolutely agree that the big east is down, but to say the sec is better i just dont get.

what do you base it on? i get the big east has more teams, so you're not saying top to bottom sec is better. how is it you see the sec better than the big east?

VN Store

Back