Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

Also the parallels between the GameCube to Wii transition and the Wii U to NX transition are pretty striking. The already mentioned Zelda connection, but also the GameCube was out 4 years when slow sales led to the Wii being rumored in 2005 and officially unveiled in 2006. Also there was a Paper Mario game set to be released on the GC (Super Paper Mario) but it was delayed to be released on the Wii, and there's a new Paper Mario game coming out this year for the Wii U.

The only differences this time will be the NX unveil will be sooner than the Wii's was, and it looks like Nintendo is going to keep the Paper Mario game on the Wii U instead of delaying it to the NX.

The funny part is I've been listening to Nintendo fanboys on other sites deny the demise of the Wii U for months now. The rumors for months now have been that Nintendo is going to officially unveil the NX sometime this year (probably at e3) and that Zelda would be a dual release on the Wii U and NX (just like Twilight Princess on the GC and Wii), and that the Wii U would basically be a dead system by the end of the year The N fanboys have passionately denied all this, and seeing it happen actually makes me laugh a bit.

I love Nintendo but their fanboys IMHO are the worse. They are like Vandy fans, the have the smallest fanbase but they can be the most obnoxious and elitist.

It does suck that the Wii U is only going to last really 4 years but it's obvious Nintendo needs to move on. Actually, it's really been more like 3 years if we're talking relevancy and that's being very kind. To be honest the Wii U hasn't been a factor at all this gen.

They don't annoy me as much as PC elitists do but yeah, their denial seems to know no bounds. They also fail to recognize the fact that the Wii was an anomaly and in no way any kind of indicator of the slow downward trajectory that Nintendo has been on since...well...since the SNES. I really hope Nintendo can put it all together with the NX because I do think they're very important to the industry. Sometimes though it seems like they cannot get out of their own way and design a console for success.

They don't annoy me as much as PC elitists do but yeah, their denial seems to know no bounds. They also fail to recognize the fact that the Wii was an anomaly and in no way any kind of indicator of the slow downward trajectory that Nintendo has been on since...well...since the SNES. I really hope Nintendo can put it all together with the NX because I do think they're very important to the industry. Sometimes though it seems like they cannot get out of their own way and design a console for success.

They definitely are their own worst enemy.

Exactly.

Look I personally liked the Wii but it was a fluke sales-wise. Everybody and their brother bought one in 2006-2007 but by 2009 the hype was pretty much over. Don't get me wrong, it had some great games; overall I probably owned about 30 Wii games. But almost every person/family I knew that got a Wii either never played much past Wii Sports, or by 2009 they had gotten rid of it.

And then Nintendo somehow doesn't realize it was a fad or they believe they can make lightning strike twice and go all in on the Wii U. Which again, I like the Wii U and it has some good games but naming it Wii U was just silly.

Exactly.

Look I personally liked the Wii but it was a fluke sales-wise. Everybody and their brother bought one in 2006-2007 but by 2009 the hype was pretty much over. Don't get me wrong, it had some great games; overall I probably owned about 30 Wii games. But almost every person/family I knew that got a Wii either never played much past Wii Sports, or by 2009 they had gotten rid of it.

And then Nintendo somehow doesn't realize it was a fad or they believe they can make lightning strike twice and go all in on the Wii U. Which again, I like the Wii U and it has some good games but naming it Wii U was just silly.

I never owned a Wii. I was pissed at Nintendo for making it so weak and not supporting HD. I had just got a brand new HDTV and a PS3 that was supporting at least 720p. I wasn't about to go back to playing standard 480p definition games again! I'd play my nephews Wii if we got together for holidays but I never felt compelled to buy it. It's the only Nintendo console I never bought.

I do own a Wii U and I like the exclusives that are on it like Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros, Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, etc. However it's just not enough to sustain the console. I'm also not a big fan of the gamepad/tablet. It's a great idea but it's poorly executed because you can't use more than one per console, the screen isn't that high of quality, and for off screen mode you practically have to be in the same room as the console to use it. If Nintendo had thought to increase the signal at least enough for me to play while on the crapper, it would've made a big difference.

I really am pulling for Nintendo to succeed with NX because like I said before, I think they're good for the industry. They make great games that the whole family can enjoy and one thing I'll give them credit for, when Nintendo does release a game, it works like it's supposed to! You never see Nintendo release broken games or games that require several patches to fix. Their quality control is of a standard that other companies should aspire to reach and I do applaud them for that.

I really am pulling for Nintendo to succeed with NX because like I said before, I think they're good for the industry. They make great games that the whole family can enjoy and one thing I'll give them credit for, when Nintendo does release a game, it works like it's supposed to! You never see Nintendo release broken games or games that require several patches to fix. Their quality control is of a standard that other companies should aspire to reach and I do applaud them for that.

Interesting....you want their console to succeed because you like their games. Yet, that's exactly why I'd like to see this next gadget they have fail. They need to quite making consoles and focus on games.

Their new mobile phone app looked dumb as hell to me but it's racking up interest, installs, and people are wasting a lot of time with it. They are good at software. They are not so good at longer term consoles.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting....you want their console to succeed because you like their games. Yet, that's exactly why I'd like to see this next gadget they have fail. They need to quite making consoles and focus on games.

Their new mobile phone app looked dumb as hell to me but it's racking up interest, installs, and people are wasting a lot of time with it. They are good at software. They are not so good at longer term consoles.

They're not getting out of the hardware business. They want that level of control over their content. It's a minor miracle that they're venturing into the mobile phone market but I think even they recognize that it's just too big a pie not to grab a piece of.

I think Nintendo is still capable of producing a great console. They just need to listen to their audience a little more and not conduct business with such a "bunker" mentality.

If they can successfully pull off the NX as being an all in one home console and hand held solution, it can potentially be huge. While the Wii U was a failure, don't forget the 3DS has sold north of 50 million units. The hand held aspect of this alone would all but guarantee success.

I agree. Follow SEGA's lead and focus solely on games. They've become to gimmicky and people don't want to drop lots of money on something based on gimmicks as opposed to good games. They'd probably make a lot more money at this point if released Zelda and Mario on PS4 and XBOX1.

One thing Nintendo needs to do (well really all of them) if they are going with the NX is they need to incorporate cross-buying. I'm not about to re-buy any of the Virtual Console or eShop games I bought on the Wii or Wii U. They just now are starting to honor games bought on the 3DS on the Wii U, so out of the gate they better let you download games you already bought.

Nintendo has had plenty of time to capitalize in the console market, but have failed miserably. I love my Wii U, but it is definitely the secondary console to my XB1, because the content, usability, playability, etc. just isn't there. Also, their online interface and online experience, frankly, sucks out loud.

They're going to have to release a revolutionary console that changes the industry in some way, IMO, if they are to remain relevant in the hardware market. If this console doesn't go their way, they should focus on the software side of things, as others have stated.

So with the Wii U, there is/were 3 games left that have been announced that I'm interested in: Zelda Wii U, Paper Mario Color Splash, and Star Fox Zero. With all the NX talk, I'm assuming at the very least Zelda will be ported to the NX so if I get an NX I'll likely get Zelda for it over the Wii U version. PM Color Splash I'm getting mostly because I've been a fan of the Paper Mario/ Mario & Luigi games since the original Super Mario RPG came out, even though the PM series has gone downhill a bit.

So that leaves Star Fox Zero that comes out in about 3 weeks and the initial pre-reviews are starting to come out and apparently the game itself is pretty short; as in you can beat the campaign in 2 hours. That doesn't sound great.

Old gif but still funny

giphy.gif

Another thing that has disappointed me with the Wii U (and the Wii as well) is the Virtual Console. I know it's not all Nintendo's fault because they can't control what 3rd parties do with their old games, but the lack of NES, SNES, and Nintendo 64 games has really disappointed me.

The Wii VC started out pretty good, and they were supporting it very well at the beginning. But after about 2 years, the offerings began to slow down a lot, and it seemed like the last 2 years of the Wii's lifetime there was hardly anything released.

The Wii U VC has been even worse, because they haven't even gotten around to making every game that was available on the Wii VC available on the Wii U VC. The addition of GBA and DS games is cool but again, not a whole lot to choose from.

With NX about to be announced, and the talk of the Wii U production shutting down, I'm going to assume the VC for the Wii U is pretty much dead. That means they'll likely start it up yet again for the NX which means we'll probably go through the same cycle.

Another thing that has disappointed me with the Wii U (and the Wii as well) is the Virtual Console. I know it's not all Nintendo's fault because they can't control what 3rd parties do with their old games, but the lack of NES, SNES, and Nintendo 64 games has really disappointed me.

The Wii VC started out pretty good, and they were supporting it very well at the beginning. But after about 2 years, the offerings began to slow down a lot, and it seemed like the last 2 years of the Wii's lifetime there was hardly anything released.

The Wii U VC has been even worse, because they haven't even gotten around to making every game that was available on the Wii VC available on the Wii U VC. The addition of GBA and DS games is cool but again, not a whole lot to choose from.

With NX about to be announced, and the talk of the Wii U production shutting down, I'm going to assume the VC for the Wii U is pretty much dead. That means they'll likely start it up yet again for the NX which means we'll probably go through the same cycle.

And probably repay for the games again.

Maybe it's just me but I've never been one to go back and play old games like that. When it comes to gaming I'm just not one for nostalgia. Once a new generation gets going I don't look back. At this point in my life, I barely have time to play all the new stuff that I want. I can't imagine having to make time for old stuff too.

Maybe it's just me but I've never been one to go back and play old games like that. When it comes to gaming I'm just not one for nostalgia. Once a new generation gets going I don't look back. At this point in my life, I barely have time to play all the new stuff that I want. I can't imagine having to make time for old stuff too.

I only got the Wii to play NES and SNES games. The cartridges for some of those old games are rare, expensive, or don't work well. I didn't own one Wii game. Most of my nostalgia has to do with gaming, though, and I don't have any kids or anything, so plenty of time.

I mainly wanted it to play older games I either really, really liked, or games I never got to play. For example, I never had a Genesis, so the ability to play them was a big draw.

Of course, take with a huge grain of salt but more rumors...

Ok, this is my first time posting any kind of rumor, leak, or insider information, whatever you want to call it. While I believe the info to be true, things can always change at the last minute and then I look like an ******* who lied. I have more than one source and this post will basically contain things I've heard, conversations I've had with people in the know (other insiders, devs, writers, etc). To make this easier, I think I'll do a tiered rumor ranking, where a T1 (Tier 1) means one source told me this, T2 means two, T3 means three, and T4 means at least four sources or more told me or others the same thing. So T4 rumors have multiple sources and are likely more credible than a T1, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a T1 is false. The bolded parts will be the rumor, the text after it will be additional info mixed with some of my opinion, and the sources thoughts.

Also, while I was writing this short essay I asked my new sources about the May 9th NX reveal date, they said they'd look into it.

Remember, I'm no journalist or english major

T4 Rumors
The NX will be more powerful than the PS4. "By a noticeable amount". From the CPU, to GPU, to RAM. Sources don't know the clock speeds, or memory type or amount of memory. But if the CPU is 15-30% stronger than PS4 as alluded to by LCGeek, than the GPU would need to match that bump in order to not bottleneck (Nintendo hates their bottlenecks).

The Wii U Remasters. 100% confirmed Smash Bros 4 will come to NX, no word on if you can play with Wii U players.

Zelda is 100% confirmed and not really big news :p

Now here is where things get interesting. One source said 100% for sure Mario Maker was coming to NX. Another source said 50%. Why 50%? Well, they can confirm it's in development, Nintendo is struggling to transfer over player data and doesn't want all courses to be lost. Hell, courses are being mysteriously deleted on Wii U already lol.

The fourth remaster is Splatoon. This one was given 50% chance from two sources and 99% from one source lol. The reasons again are, Nintendo is struggling to transfer all player data and make it cross-compatible with Wii U players as well. It is in development though. They should have all he DLC included.

So, Zelda and Smash for sure, Mario Maker and Splatoon maybe. If Nintendo can't get it working they may scrap it.

Smash is rumored for launch along with Zelda (day or window wasn’t specified). Not sure on Mario Maker or Splatoon.

What's interesting about this is Splatoon and Mario Maker heavily use touch controls and motion controls. While I certainly expect the NX controller to use gyroscope and accelerometers (since even the DS4, Wii U gamepad, Wii remotes and 3DS use it) this may indicate that there will be a screen in the NX controller. None of my sources indicated troubled development of splatoon and mario maker were controls related, so either it has a screen controller or the second screen support hinted at by the reddit leaker in the OP was right and there will be some kind of optional screen controller or smartglass like features.

T2 Rumors
NDA's are tight as hell. This one is obvious. But I just wanted to add to it. While fellow posters like Rosti have indicated how heavy they are, my own sources and people I don't even know have warned me privately to watch what I post here (this was all within the last couple of hours lol). One source said they know more Nintendo hardware people than software people, yet the only leaks they've been able to get is on the software side. Not a peep from the hardware guys.

I even had people asking what the contents of my post were going to be, if names, job positions, marketing budgets (lol) were going to be posted. A lot of people got very worried, including my sources, the fear of Nintendo is real. They are cracking down. The fake leaks aren't helping either.

As someone who just started snooping for NX info and asking questions out of general curiosity for being a fan, I wasn't expecting this much info over the last two weeks or so. But, now that I am, I want to gain my sources respect and so I didn't want divulge their identity or even reveal their gender. I hope this post has gained their trust, and know that their ID's are safe and sound with me.

T1 Rumors
NX SDK's are out there right now and my sources can confirm dev's have them, so don't worry too much about when you hear stuff like nobody has a dev kit yet.
The NX is easy to port too. This is big because Nintendo consoles have usually been hard to develop or and only mastered by Nintendo's internal teams. Apparently, some dev's are having no trouble porting current gen games over. It's a quick process and dev's seem to be happy about it.

The NX architecture is under NDA but is highly speculated to be x86. I disagreed with them on this but they made some excellent points about how porting from ARM to x86 (handheld to console) and x86 to x86 (current PS4 and XB1 games to NX) is very easy, while it's a bit more tricky to go from x86 to ARM (console to handheld). It certainly matches what the reddit leaker posted.
Based off my high school programming skills and some research, it seems like x86 to ARM does require more work, x86 is 64-bit and ARM is 32-bit. But any decent compiler supports 64-bit math on ARM. The dev's mainly recompile the code into ARM, and then the integer values get changed, and fix any errors that come up, recompile again, see if it works, rinse and repeat. It's not as important or inefficient as people think, especially for larger devs. Besides, ARM is heavily supported and the more worked on architecture. So don't get too focused on if it's x86 or ARM. In the end, as long as it's not ****ty PowerPC (Nintendo, please, no) it'll be fine. It won't be the reason Nintendo won't get third party ports, if anything, NX sales will.

One thing that contradicts x86, and this is an indirect source, but a coder who works specifically for Nintendo laughed off GAF's focus on x86 and how we know nothing. Please don’t go looking for them, DetectiveGAF, let them keep their job. So, that, combined with ARM likely being in the handheld, makes me believe the NX will use ARM. But like I said, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

Nobody knows anything about the handheld. At least, not any of my sources or their sources. Not even sure if NX refers to the handheld as well or if that has a different codename. It's speculated that it will still get some exclusive games, but won't get many console games downported (referring to the shared games library) while the console could theoretically play them all (maybe lending support to x86 and ARM inside the NX, having the handheld guts inside, but that sounds very expensive and I doubt it). The console seems to be the main focus of Nintendo right now and the New 3DS, along with the 2016 lineup of 3DS, has afforded them that luxury.

I hope you enjoy this post and it provides lots of healthy discussion. I told you it wasn't major news, but you got hyped anyways. It's my first time doing this and it was fun, and sorry if it took awhile but verification and clarity were important to me.

Remember, grain of salt.

Come at me, Nintendo.

Awesome. A new console to play the same games you have. That'll be a win!

I have mixed feelings on this, because pretty much all of them have been doing this so far this gen. On the one hand, it's cool for people who didn't get to play it the previous gen, or for someone who had the game and would like to play it again. But at the same time, I feel like it's become overkill this gen with all the previous gen games being released.

And Nintendo is the king of the rehash/re-release. They've been doing this stuff forever. I've never seen a company get away with repackaging the same games over and over and their core fanbase eats it up. I mean how many times have they released Ocarina of Time now? 2 of the Wii U's biggest titles are HD remasters of previous Zelda games.

I have mixed feelings on this, because pretty much all of them have been doing this so far this gen. On the one hand, it's cool for people who didn't get to play it the previous gen, or for someone who had the game and would like to play it again. But at the same time, I feel like it's become overkill this gen with all the previous gen games being released.

And Nintendo is the king of the rehash/re-release. They've been doing this stuff forever. I've never seen a company get away with repackaging the same games over and over and their core fanbase eats it up. I mean how many times have they released Ocarina of Time now? 2 of the Wii U's biggest titles are HD remasters of previous Zelda games.

And considering how poorly the Wii U has sold, that would relatively be everybody!

I can understand it at launch when a company is trying to establish a game library. They're only talking about 4 Wii U games being ported, one of them being Zelda which isn't even out yet.

And considering how poorly the Wii U has sold, that would relatively be everybody!

I can understand it at launch when a company is trying to establish a game library. They're only talking about 4 Wii U games being ported, one of them being Zelda which isn't even out yet.

You act like there's more than 6 or 7 games on the Wii U. We are talking about half the software library this thing will ever see. :)

Nintendo Ouya FTW.

VN Store

Back