Nike Adidas and Under Armour Tell Lavar Ball To Pound Sand

The next time you hear the name LaVar Ball it will be preceded with:
"Next week on Shark Tank"

The first thing he's got to hope for is that his son is a global superstar.

Odds are slim. There are a lot of great players.

There are all star NBA players that don't move merchandise. That is reserved for about 5 players. As an example, a list I saw had the Greek Freak and Carmelo Anthony 14th and 15th in jersey sales. As good as those dudes are, they aren't strong enough to build a brand.

So, it's beyond an exclusive club.

Again, I'll place my money on him not being one of the 10 best players in the NBA five years from now.

There are all star NBA players that don't move merchandise. That is reserved for about 5 players. As an example, a list I saw had the Greek Freak and Carmelo Anthony 14th and 15th in jersey sales. As good as those dudes are, they aren't strong enough to build a brand.

Again, I'll place my money on him not being one of the 10 best players in the NBA five years from now.

This. Though I'd say five active players that can move merchandise if branded in their name is a subjective list and depends greatly on year to year performance.

I mean, even Westbrook wears Jordans for crying out loud. His name on the brand, but they are still Jordan Westbrook branded shoes. I'd consider him a top 5 player in the NBA right now.

Yes, I agree Lonzo Ball has a lot to prove before any company worth their salt puts his name on merchandise.

This guy is a train wreck. LA Gear or Fila might be willing to co-brand with Lavar. He might even want to pitch his idea to Starbury.

I'd like to see some big baller sketchers on the shelves

Wouldn't touch them, but I would get a laugh out of it

Would be fitting to bring these back -- red Ball jets
il_340x270.1176881903_kdim.jpg

Remember this is the guy that disappeared in the dance and was outplayed by all those "white guys" that caused them to lose. Your money is safe!

Showing your age buddy! Can't lie I used to rock the Lotto's.

:)

I worked at Champs Sports in Gainesville way back in the day.

British Knights and Lottos were popular with the kids. If you could afford Filas back then, you were a baller.

You old enough to remember the fashion revolution known as Le Coq Sportif?

:)

I worked at Champs Sports in Gainesville way back in the day.

British Knights and Lottos were popular with the kids. If you could afford Filas back then, you were a baller.

You old enough to remember the fashion revolution known as Le Coq Sportif?

I'm old enough to remember when LA Lights when out of style when a guy on Cops was chased at night by a helicopter using only the lights from his shoes.

I'm old enough to remember when LA Lights when out of style when a guy on Cops was chased at night by a helicopter using only the lights from his shoes.

That was the early 90s...you're not old enough.

Bonus question:
How many Vuarnet t-shirts did you own back in the day?

The more I think about it, there are guys who sold stuff, but there is only one dude I can think of that literally built a brand and that's Michael Jordan.

Tiger Woods built Nike Golf, but didn't build Nike.

Other than that, I can't think of an athlete who helped build a brand from nothing.

Willing to hear names.

So, Lavar is even crazier than I first thought.

Reactions: 1 person
The more I think about it, there are guys who sold stuff, but there is only one dude I can think of that literally built a brand and that's Michael Jordan.

Other than that, I can't think of an athlete who helped build a brand from nothing.

Willing to hear names.

I don't know about "building" a brand, but Dominque Wilkins helped forestall Reebok's demise with him being the spokesman for the Pump. It pretty much fell off a cliff after that fad went out of favor.

Maybe Andre Agassi with Nike Tennis as Woods did with golf.

Usain Bolt helped Puma get a resurgence in the US.

Although it's hard to say Jordan "built" Nike since they (according to Wiki) already had a 50% share of the athletic shoe market by 1980. However, Jordan certainly pushed them into the forefront and the company to beat in the 90s. Every kid playing basketball in the late 80s and into the 90s wanted Jordans.

Willing to hear names.

Stan Smith's Adidas tennis shoe in the 1970s is the only example I can think of pre-Air Jordan where an athlete's name was associated with the product, but there was no spin-off brand like Jordan/Jumpman.

Willing to hear names.

Nike didn't just have Jordan, they had Bo Jackson as well. Bo was a huge part of their image back then too.

VN Store

Back