NFL Scouts Are Skeptical About Derek Barnett

VolsnRavens

After watching him manhandle the Nebraska lineman, who is supposed to be one of the top OL guys in college football. I don't agree with this. But, opinions are like a**h@les, everybody has one and most of them stink. Guess time will tell.

NFL Scouts Are Skeptical About Derek Barnett | Rocky Top Insider

According to a report by Lance Zierlein of NFL.com, some scouts doubt former Vol defensive end Derek Barnett’s ability as a pro.

Barnett, who broke Reggie White’s all-time sack record at Tennessee with his 33rd career sack in the Music City Bowl against Nebraska, has consistently received first round grades and has routinely been placed in the top 15 picks of the upcoming 2017 NFL Draft by draft analysts. But according to Zierlein, an unnamed AFC North area scout has questions about Barnett’s ability at the next level.

According to the scout, Barnett is “physical and he’s got great production,” but goes on to add that some scouts doubt his ability to produce at a high level in the NFL because “he’s not very explosive off the ball. He won’t overpower NFL tackles like he did in college.”

There's other NFL analysts that say anyone who doesn't have Barnett as a 1st round pick has never watched him play a down of football.

Reactions: 17 people
NFL scouts sometimes put too much stock in the measurables. Whereas those numbers are critical, it doesn't bring into account just how relentless Barnett is and the fact that he brings it every down. He is extremely good with a super high motor and I think he will be an all pro one day. The assessment on his measurables may be right though. It would be a mistake not to take him early if you have a need at DE though.

Reactions: 3 people
This is probably the same scout that felt Jamarcus Russell was going to one day be in the Hall of Fame, Mark Sanchez was a no brainer top 10 pick and Christian Ponder was a future franchise QB.

Reactions: 8 people
You guys are taking this way too seriously.

These scouts put out false information for teams all the time hoping to get guys to drop in the draft.

I think Barnett will be a fine pro and have a good career along the lines of a Robert Ayers, I don't expect him to put up record setting numbers like he did at TN though.

Reactions: 5 people
scouts throw out a bunch of phony stuff to send false signals to other teams---happens every year before the draft---it's a game theory thing

well, the best D lineman in the SEC got no love from the SEC either, so, but his stats didn't lie...take him over Garrett any day...:)

GO VOLS!

After watching him manhandle the Nebraska lineman, who is supposed to be one of the top OL guys in college football. I don't agree with this. But, opinions are like a**h@les, everybody has one and most of them stink. Guess time will tell.

nfl-scouts[/B]-skeptical-derek-barnett/]NFL Scouts Are Skeptical About Derek Barnett | Rocky Top Insider

According to a report by Lance Zierlein of NFL.com, some scouts doubt former Vol defensive end Derek Barnett’s ability as a pro.

Barnett, who broke Reggie White’s all-time sack record at Tennessee with his 33rd career sack in the Music City Bowl against Nebraska, has consistently received first round grades and has routinely been placed in the top 15 picks of the upcoming 2017 NFL Draft by draft analysts. But according to Zierlein, an unnamed AFC North area scout has questions about Barnett’s ability at the next level.

According to the scout, Barnett is “physical and he’s got great production,” but goes on to add that some scouts doubt his ability to produce at a high level in the NFL because “he’s not very explosive off the ball. He won’t overpower NFL tackles like he did in college.”

This may be a case of very poor writing by RTI. From the Zierlein article it appears there was only one NFL scout questioning Barnett's abilities at the next level.

The scoop: "(Derek) Barnett generates a lot of discussion out on the road. He's physical and he's got great production, but some scouts just don't think he'll be able to translate those numbers to the pros because he's not very explosive off the ball. He won't overpower NFL tackles like he did in college." -- AFC North area scout on the Tennessee DE.

I'm surprised we have heard anything from his agent about these remarks

Scouts also do this in an attempt to get guys to fall so their teams have a better shot at selecting them.

Reactions: 2 people
LOL. Okay. These kinds of quotes annoy me because if this guy is wrong, they'll never come forth and admit it.

He can slide down a few rounds and my Seahawks will snatch him up and turn into a Pro bowler.

I got no problem with that. :good!:

In other words he will be drafted by one of these teams: browns(1,12), bengals (9), ravens(16), or steelers (30).

This could be the typical talking a kid down trying to scare some so you hope to pick him up in the draft later in the first round. This is much ado about nothing IMO.

VN Store

Back