NFL Scouts Are Skeptical About Derek Barnett

This could be the typical talking a kid down trying to scare some so you hope to pick him up in the draft later in the first round. This is much ado about nothing IMO.

If I had a late first round pick, I would talk him down too so he may slide to my pick.

Remember that time when Barnett played better man to man coverage on a WR 25 yards down the field than our actual DB's did? Or that time that he tackled a RB from behind 20 yards down the field? Yea, this scout doesn't either.

Reactions: 1 person
You guys are taking this way too seriously.

These scouts put out false information for teams all the time hoping to get guys to drop in the draft.

I think Barnett will be a fine pro and have a good career along the lines of a Robert Ayers, I don't expect him to put up record setting numbers like he did at TN though.

He's put up the same type numbers pretty much ever since he's played defense. Ever...

He should continue the trend.

These scouts put out false information for teams all the time hoping to get guys to drop in the draft.

I think Barnett will be a fine pro and have a good career along the lines of a Robert Ayers, I don't expect him to put up record setting numbers like he did at TN though.
exactly right. You have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt right now.

Uh huh, and some scouts thought Ryan Leaf would be a better NFL QB than Peyton Manning...sitchyo' ass down!

indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-super-bowl.jpg

Peyton-Manning-retires-6.jpg

manningnflaward.jpg

3545251500000578-3641112-image-a-86_1465919198566.jpg

leaf-mug2-web.jpg

ryan_leaf_sentenced_06192012.jpg

KRTVLeafCourt.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
This time of the year, a lot of smokescreen or bull**** columns are written to purposely try and create doubt about a player. Some teams will pay guys to "smear" a potential draft pick in the hopes they'll fall to their pick.
It happens all the time in the NFL. This is a game of chess.
Anyone who questions Barnett's "explosion" is either being paid, high or borderline retarded.

Reactions: 2 people
This could be the typical talking a kid down trying to scare some so you hope to pick him up in the draft later in the first round. This is much ado about nothing IMO.

Well if you're listening to what your enemies say, when it comes to upgrading your team, your doing it wrong anyways

" Not very explosive off the ball" . Wow ! what in the world have they been watching ?

Lol. Leonard little, John Henderson, Robert Ayers, Reggie White, Al Wilson, Parys Haralson, Todd Kelly Sr, Justin harrel, etc... To name a few could not do what Mr. Barnett did at Tennessee. The greatest pass rusher in UT history says otherwise, so sorry "unnamed scout" stats don't lie.

This is just how the game is played...All scouts like to talk down players they really like get it

This is a classic move in the draft. Talk a player down so his stock can drop and you pick him up late in the draft.:crazy::blink::no::whistling:

Exactly...lots of doublespeak going on right now...when a team wants a specific player, they will point out his flaws and cast doubt on his viability as a pro...and silently hope others pass on him so they can get him with their pick....

The only analyst whose name they mentioned was high on Barnett, raving about him. So, that's the only legit take on it from that report.

I saw a very similar smearticle (smear article) here:
https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/scouts-derek-barnett-wont-translate

But check it out -- they didn't even get the number of sacks correct.

They said he only had 32, when we all know he had 33 to break the record.

The inaccuracy just reflects on the lack of credibility the "skeptical" report has.

They don't know what they're talking about.

... According to the scout, Barnett is “physical and he’s got great production,” but goes on to add that some scouts doubt his ability to produce at a high level in the NFL because “he’s not very explosive off the ball. He won’t overpower NFL tackles like he did in college

Somehow the tackles he overpowered in college are now going to be better in the NFL; but he isn't. :thud:
I'm sure there may be a slight adjustment to be made when he arrives, but; arrive he will!:rock:

I'm not sure what else he has to do at this point. He dominated arguably the best conference in college football. A confrence that I might add has arguably the best athletes. Any teams that passes on him will be regretting that decision for a long, long time. GBO

I know exactly which scout it is and I'll give you a hint. It's the same one several years ago who said that Bruce Smith would never make it in the NFL.

I don't think he will be near as successful at the next level. This year he gave the edge up numerous times trying to get the sack. I think he will have successful NFL career. I just don't see him being the branded player that some may.

Zierlein went on to add that Barnett “has deft hand work that can gain him a quick win.” He states that pass rushing in the NFL isn’t all about speed and having good bend around the edges, something Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett is often praised for. Instead, it also takes strength and good hand skills as well, which Zierlein believes Barnett has.

“Barnett takes efficient routes to the quarterback and his ability to stand up as a run defender should not be underestimated,” Zierlein added. “The production he posted over three years in the SEC wasn’t an accident. He’ll be a good pro starter.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back