NFL considering proposal to get rid of extra points

It would make PATs very interesting if they did like rugby and awarded a free kick from a point on the field corresponding to where the actual touchdown occurred. Those TDs at the pylon would make for brutal angles.

Done and dusted. VN, solving the worlds problems one placekick at a time.

I think they should at least move the attempt back to the 15 yard line. NFL kickers will still make that 90% of the time but the greater chance for failure makes it more interesting.

But where do you go for 2 from? What if you wanted to fake it (which I realize nobody does)

The 2 point conversion was adopted by the nfl in 1994. So it's not as though these sort of things have been set in stone since day 1.

The 2 point conversion was adopted by the nfl in 1994. So it's not as though these sort of things have been set in stone since day 1.

More so than any other sport the rules of football have ALWAYS been fluid.

No one tries to block these kicks because the NFL has not adopted the return for 2 points like college football.

The answer is to back the kick up and adopt this rule. You would see plenty of effort on these tries.

Not sure how far to back up the kicker though. NFL kickers are money from 30 or less.

Nothing was passed at the meetings changing the action of the extra point try (the Patriots had proposed moving the ball back to the 25 yard line, essentially making it a 42 yard field goal attempt).

However, during the first and second games of the upcoming preseason, the league is going to experiment with the point after try being snapped from the 20 yard line (making it the same as a 37 yard field goal).

Nothing was passed at the meetings changing the action of the extra point try (the Patriots had proposed moving the ball back to the 25 yard line, essentially making it a 42 yard field goal attempt).

However, during the first and second games of the upcoming preseason, the league is going to experiment with the point after try being snapped from the 20 yard line (making it the same as a 37 yard field goal).
I hate this. Your team makes a two minute drill just lose from a extra point.... turrible

Get a better kicker then. Your argument proves that the XP us redundant, as it's pretty much a guaranteed point. As it is it's just an extra play.

I agree. I like the idea of moving it back much more than eliminating it. It really does make sense to add excitement to the game.

VN Store

Back