NFL considering proposal to get rid of extra points

Get rid of the xtra point, IMO. Or for extra spice make the team's coach kick the xp.

I think TDs should be worth more than 2 FGs, though. 6 with a chance at 2 and call it good. No kick. I'd be all for that.

Not much good to be had here.

It isn't like football is losing fans due to the xp play.

At some point people tinker with things too much.

Reactions: 2 people
I think they should at least move the attempt back to the 15 yard line. NFL kickers will still make that 90% of the time but the greater chance for failure makes it more interesting.

I'd like to see this too. I actually like the XP, but mostly in college because there's still an element of hope that the other team will miss it (and they sometimes do).

But it can't be completely automatic like it is in the NFL.

They are pretty much a waste of time, they won't be missed after the initial knee jerk outrage.

My initial reaction when I read the thread title was "That's stupid". Then I read the explanation and it made sense.

During PATs I usually go to the bathroom, grab a snack, text a friend, or check volnation. I definitely take them for granted in the NFL.

College is different. There are a lot of bad kickers out there missing PATs. Lord knows TN has missed more than their fair share the past few years.

Kick offs will be eliminated next to reduce hits. If a team scores TD opponent gets ball on 20 yd line. If they kick a FG opponent gets ball on the 40yd line. Force teams to go for TD's more. My theory and I wouldn't put anything past Goodell..

It's an old holdover from rugby, and I agree that it's a pointless play. The rugby version of the similar play is much tougher to pull off. I would be cool with moving it back, but even then most kickers in the NFL are virtually automatic from short range.

I think it would speed up the game, and effectively wouldn't change the strategy if they opted to go for two.

It would make PATs very interesting if they did like rugby and awarded a free kick from a point on the field corresponding to where the actual touchdown occurred. Those TDs at the pylon would make for brutal angles.

It would make PATs very interesting if they did like rugby and awarded a free kick from a point on the field corresponding to where the actual touchdown occurred. Those TDs at the pylon would make for brutal angles.

I actually like that idea

Would it speed up the game or would it just lead to a longer commercial period / more time for commercials?

(…because I can totally see them doing something for that reason)

sounds to me like another way to reduce injuries as well. Sure, they dont happen often on XP, but if you eliminate XP, you eliminate that small chance.

sounds to me like another way to reduce injuries as well. Sure, they dont happen often on XP, but if you eliminate XP, you eliminate that small chance.

Goes both ways though.

Another chance for a guy like Mike Iupati to break his ankle.

I think the pat should be a choice between a 50 yard fg attempt or a play from the 10 yard line to get in the endzone. No going for 2. Two point conversions would be obsolete because of the rate at which these extra points would be missed. Would add a lot of excitement too.

I think they should at least move the attempt back to the 15 yard line. NFL kickers will still make that 90% of the time but the greater chance for failure makes it more interesting.

Much simpler solution IMO. Make them elect to go for two from the two or three yard line, or, try to kick it from the 15. Scalpel rather than meat cleaver, Roger.

EDIT: If they are all about safety by changing the way the game is played, they will kill the game as we know it. Instead, improve the helmets as they are working on now, cut out the headhunting with bigger penalties/fines/suspensions, make them wear more padding on the legs and hips, etc. There are simpler, more effective ways of enforcing safety than eliminating important phases of the game.

Last edited:
I'm in favor of moving the ball back further, making it a bigger challenge for the kicker. Other than that, don't mess with it!

so one proposal was to make a TD worth 7 with the option of trying to add a point (1 point conversion similar to current 2 point conversion) with the caveat that if you miss the 1-point conversion play you lose a point (TD is worth 6).

Somehow you need to keep the 7 vs 6 option alive (odd score vs even score) to keep a TD worth more than 2 FGs. IOW, you should maintain a system that keeps teams up by 4 vs up by 3 where an FG could tie.

An article on deadspin floated the idea that the guy who scores the td has to kick the extra point. This is the best option IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
An article on deadspin floated the idea that the guy who scores the td has to kick the extra point. This is the best option IMO.

That would be funny but what if the guy gets hurt while scoring? Who has to kick after TD passes, the WR or the QB?

make the uprights narrower and make the PAT a 40yd kick.

FGs are too easy and PAT are literal gimmes.kickers can get cut for what would've got them to the pro bowl 30 or 40 years ago.

the PAT is supposed to be an opportunity for an extra point not an automatic point and FGs shouldn't "well,we only made it to the 23,lets get our free 3pts".

Stupid idea. This is the NFL, not middle school football. Leave it alone.

That's exactly why this is being considered. It's not middle school football, it's the NFL. Professional kickers shouldn't have a 99.1% success rate, it's below their skill level.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back