NFL 2017 Postseason Thread

But do you really see them losing in Foxborough against this competition? I don't.

No I don't. I'm not even saying they are bad. Regardless of opponents, they are probably the best team in the AFC anyways. I just thought it was interesting how they ended up getting such an easy road.

Last edited:
Unless you put pressure on Brady, you can't beat them. He can afford to play conservative and win the field position battle all day with that D. If you can't push him backwards on a good portion of their drives, they win.

Unless you put pressure on Brady, you can't beat them. He can afford to play conservative and win the field position battle all day with that D. If you can't push him backwards on a good portion of their drives, they win.

Which is why I think they will make it to the Super Bowl. If any of the elite quarterbacks have time, it's almost impossible to stop them.

Which is why I think they will make it to the Super Bowl. If any of the elite quarterbacks have time, it's almost impossible to stop them.

But the difference between Tom Brady, Broncos Peyton and guys like Brees, Ryan, and Colts Peyton is they are forced to score a lot and can't afford to just play the field position game. When they have to go for it that much, they eventually make mistakes. Brady is in a position where he doesn't have to take a lot of risks (and he's still great when he as to take risks).

Peyton Manning's Colts won 10-14 games for 9 straight years despite a lot of bad defense, which is just amazing...I don't care how many offensive weapons he had. I appreciate it now more in hindsight.

Are you really bragging about wins against...

Dolphins 2x
Texans
Big Benless Steelers

?

In comparison to the Falcons who won @ Oakland and at home against Green Bay. Yeah we lost to the Chiefs, and got absolutely screwed at Seattle by the refs, but are you really comparing the Dolphins, Texans, and BigBenless steelers to the Raiders, Packers, and Chiefs?

There is not a single team that the Patriots beat that has a legit shot at the super bowl (don't tell me the Steelers would contend with Landry Jones).

You can argue every team that the Falcons faced that is in the playoffs has a legitimate shot at the super bowl. Obviously the Raiders and Seahawks currently have injury problems, but when we played them they were completely healthy and were superbowl contenders.

Lets take a look at common opponents.

Falcons vs Cardinals 38-19
Patriots @ Cardinals 23-21

Falcons @ Seahawks 24-26
Patriots vs Seahawks 24-31

Falcons vs 49ers 41-13
Patriots @ 49ers 30-17

Falcons @ Broncos 23-16
Patriots @ Broncos 16-3

Falcons @ Rams 42-14
Patriots vs Rams 26-10

Total Point Differential of Common Opponents

Falcons: +79
Patriots: +37

Lets take a look at the Patriots schedule in comparison to the Falcons...

Overall Record of Schedule for each team...
Falcons: 124-126-2 (15th in the League in SOS)
Patriots: 111-139-2 (Worst in the League in SOS)

I wouldn't consider this "marginally different"

Wow, the comprehension skills here are pretty abysmal.

No, I'm not bragging about the Patriots, I don't have too. You're the one genuflecting all over the board about an 11-5 team that lost 3 games they should have won. And I never said the Pats didn't have a favorable schedule, my point is that the Falcon's schedule was only slightly more difficult.

Case in point, both the Pats and Falcons played 7 teams with losing records. The Pats went 4-1 against playoff teams, Atlanta went 2-2. Two of those Pats wins are credited to 2 different backup QBs, or maybe you forgot Brady was laying on a beach in Okka Bokka Boo until Week 5.

Falcon's opponents won 46% of their games against the rest of the league, Pats opponents check in at 42%. Now tell me again just how "easy" the Pats schedule was in comparison?

Your silly argument might hold some water if the Pats were ranked 9-10 in the Power Rankings, but they're not. NFL.com and PFF have them #1 by a solid margin with the #2 offense and #5 defense. Try being the Patriots every Sunday and tell me how easy it is to get through the season with 2 losses when virtually every game is like the friggin Super Bowl to your opponents.

Your opponents won 46% of their games, big deal! Now my point one more time is that you can't even say the Pats had it easy without acknowledging the same damn thing about the Falcons who lost 2 games to teams with losing records!

I can't wait to hear the response.

I've said this before, but in DVOA, which takes into account the quality of opponent, the Pats' defense is ranked 16th. There's a reason for that.

Wow, the comprehension skills here are pretty abysmal.

Fantastic start to an argument.

No, I'm not bragging about the Patriots, I don't have too. You're the one genuflecting all over the board about an 11-5 team that lost 3 games they should have won. And I never said the Pats didn't have a favorable schedule, my point is that the Falcon's schedule was only slightly more difficult.

When did I say that the Falcons are this amazing team that is better than the Patriots? Do I believe Matt Ryan is the MVP? Yes. Do I believe the Falcons offense is incredible? Yes. Do I think that the Falcons are going to the superbowl? There is a real chance. But I am not avidly saying that the Falcons are the team to beat by any stretch of the imagination. I genuinely think the Patriots are a better team than the Patriots due to a much more reliable defense. I wouldn't say 15th hardest schedule vs 32nd hardest schedule is considered "slightly more difficult". The AFC West was significantly better than the AFC North. Especially when Big Ben wasn't playing for the Steelers. I do not know how else to word it.

Case in point, both the Pats and Falcons played 7 teams with losing records. The Pats went 4-1 against playoff teams, Atlanta went 2-2. Two of those Pats wins are credited to 2 different backup QBs, or maybe you forgot Brady was laying on a beach in Okka Bokka Boo until Week 5.

Like I said earlier, beating the Dolphins 2x, Texans, and Pittsburgh without Ben and losing at home to the Seahawks is not considered significantly better than beating the Packers and Oakland, and losing to the Chiefs and getting screwed on the road in Seattle by the refs. This 4-1 vs 2-2 playoff argument is nonsensical.

Falcon's opponents won 46% of their games against the rest of the league, Pats opponents check in at 42%. Now tell me again just how "easy" the Pats schedule was in comparison?

First of all, the falcons opponents have won 48% of their games. 48% vs 42% doesn't look like a big difference until you take into account that the SOS translates to 15th in the league for the Falcons, and 32nd for the Patriots. What a very misguided point. In reality, the Falcons are closer to having the strongest schedule in the league than having the easiest (the patriots). Now in reality their SOS is as middle of the pack as it goes, but it certainly is not as easy as the Patriots. And when people discuss the Falcons facing a tough schedule, they are primarily talking about the strength of pass defenses they played throughout the year (2nd overall) when making a case for Ryan for MVP. Which is incredible considering his numbers. But that has nothing to do with the overall schedule of the teams.

Your silly argument might hold some water if the Pats were ranked 9-10 in the Power Rankings, but they're not. NFL.com and PFF have them #1 by a solid margin with the #2 offense and #5 defense. Try being the Patriots every Sunday and tell me how easy it is to get through the season with 2 losses when virtually every game is like the friggin Super Bowl to your opponents.

Were using Power Rankings as criteria? Again, I never said the Patriots are a bad team. If they played the hardest schedule in the league, they would still be 11-5 at worst. I just wanted to point out that they had an easy schedule, I did not mean that they aren't a good team.

Your opponents won 46% of their games, big deal! Now my point one more time is that you can't even say the Pats had it easy without acknowledging the same damn thing about the Falcons who lost 2 games to teams with losing records!

Again, it was 48%. I admit the Falcons lost a game to the Chargers where they should not have lost. The eagles had a fantastic game plan and did handle us pretty well. We are not a perfect team. Our defense couldn't get off the field against Philadelphia. Nor could it make a stop against Philip Rivers. I am not saying the Falcons are better than the Patriots so relax.

15895895_1360823497297668_6179173923657219343_o.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Fantastic start to an argument.

When did I say that the Falcons are this amazing team that is better than the Patriots? Do I believe Matt Ryan is the MVP? Yes. Do I believe the Falcons offense is incredible? Yes. Do I think that the Falcons are going to the superbowl? There is a real chance. But I am not avidly saying that the Falcons are the team to beat by any stretch of the imagination. I genuinely think the Patriots are a better team than the Patriots due to a much more reliable defense. I wouldn't say 15th hardest schedule vs 32nd hardest schedule is considered "slightly more difficult". The AFC West was significantly better than the AFC North. Especially when Big Ben wasn't playing for the Steelers. I do not know how else to word it.

Like I said earlier, beating the Dolphins 2x, Texans, and Pittsburgh without Ben and losing at home to the Seahawks is not considered significantly better than beating the Packers and Oakland, and losing to the Chiefs and getting screwed on the road in Seattle by the refs. This 4-1 vs 2-2 playoff argument is nonsensical.

First of all, the falcons opponents have won 48% of their games. 48% vs 42% doesn't look like a big difference until you take into account that the SOS translates to 15th in the league for the Falcons, and 32nd for the Patriots. What a very misguided point. In reality, the Falcons are closer to having the strongest schedule in the league than having the easiest (the patriots). Now in reality their SOS is as middle of the pack as it goes, but it certainly is not as easy as the Patriots. And when people discuss the Falcons facing a tough schedule, they are primarily talking about the strength of pass defenses they played throughout the year (2nd overall) when making a case for Ryan for MVP. Which is incredible considering his numbers. But that has nothing to do with the overall schedule of the teams.

Were using Power Rankings as criteria? Again, I never said the Patriots are a bad team. If they played the hardest schedule in the league, they would still be 11-5 at worst. I just wanted to point out that they had an easy schedule, I did not mean that they aren't a good team.

Again, it was 48%. I admit the Falcons lost a game to the Chargers where they should not have lost. The eagles had a fantastic game plan and did handle us pretty well. We are not a perfect team. Our defense couldn't get off the field against Philadelphia. Nor could it make a stop against Philip Rivers. I am not saying the Falcons are better than the Patriots so relax.

I said 46% against the rest of the league. I discounted the wins against your crap team.

Not going argue about this anymore, I made my point, and so did you fanboy.

I've said this before, but in DVOA, which takes into account the quality of opponent, the Pats' defense is ranked 16th. There's a reason for that.

DVOA? Pretty obscure dont you think.

PFF has the defense ranked #5, without going into more laborious detail thats quite a spread from 16.

DVOA? Pretty obscure dont you think.

PFF has the defense ranked #5, without going into more laborious detail thats quite a spread from 16.

Far from obscure. ESPN's lead NFL writer refers to it in pretty much every article.

Good God that hit. Dude straight up hit him in the jaw with the crown of the helmet.

VN Store

Back