Neyland Renovation Survey

I got the survey and laughed at the question as to whether I would agree to pay a one-time fee of $800k plus annual fees of $150k-$200k for a new suite idea. I love UT football, but that kind of money is out of the question unless they were to let me move into the stadium with a few other families.
:lolabove:

I would help cut the grass!

Any money spent would be better used to add additional bleacher seats around and above the skyboxes. Pack them in just as tight as everywhere else in the stadium.

These sideline-view seats would boast a good viewing angle as well as a view of the jumbotron.

The social impact of having the largest stadium in the SEC or Nation or World is worth it alone.

The project would pay for itself. Then it would pay for these proposed additions for the economic elite.

If you want to add luxury do it after and on top of a Neyland Stadium third tier.

Any proposal that includes a reduction in seating capacity is a demonstration of ignorance.

The capacity could stand to be adjusted a little in exchange for wider concourses and different seating options. It's a great environment, but frankly a very dated stadium that's fallen behind.

The reality is that the days of adding capacity for capacity's sake are over.

What bothered me about the survey was the lack of any options about improving the seating for everyone. The trend seems to be a diminished general product with islands of amenities available at much greater costs.

That has the effect, over time, of decreasing the attendee base as the gameday experience for the peons continues to suffer compared to alternatives.

I would rather see improved seating for everyone, even at the expense of some seating capacity. They can still offer premium seating, but the focus on only improvements through 'club' like environments sucks up all the renovation dollars and the regular joe has to settle for a few upgraded troughs in the john.

Reactions: 3 people
How all encompassing are these new renovations and this new plan? Is the entire stadium going to be modernized top to bottom or only certain parts?

Either lower capacity, make fat people buy two seats or put everyone on a diet.

Last trip I show up and 3 lards put the whole row askew to the point that I can't even see my seat numner.

Ridiculous

Reactions: 2 people
If UT is going to get a percentage every time a ticket is sold on StubHub (assuming they re-establish the relationship) on the secondary market, then they could end up making more $$$ by selling fewer tickets in the primary market and getting a lot more revenue as the price is driven up due to the smaller supply in the secondary market.

^^^ probably the longest sentence I've ever written on VN.

Losing seats won't hurt the AD's financials. However fewer butts means fewer hot dogs and bottles of water get sold.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you think UT can sell 110000 tickets for Western Carolina? UT Martin?

Wouldn't the cost of those extra seats you want have to be borne largely by the people who already have seats?

Or are you planning on charging several hundred dollars a game for the extra nosebleed seats for the two or three games a year they might be occupied?

1. Possibly. Doesn't matter
2. No
3. No. The price will be the same as, or comparable to, other seats with similar demand.

1. Possibly. Doesn't matter
2. No
3. No. The price will be the same as, or comparable to, other seats with similar demand.

You think UT can actually fund construction of 5000 new nose bleed seats and the supporting infrastructure with only the money they would receive from ticket sales of those (likely not always sold out) nose bleed seats?

The capacity could stand to be adjusted a little in exchange for wider concourses and different seating options. It's a great environment, but frankly a very dated stadium that's fallen behind.

This is partially wrong. The North and West sections of the stadium were renovated and widened. Not only do they look nice and function a lot better but I don't think they had to sacrifice any seats to make those changes. What is very dated and lacking are the South and East sides of the stadium. Widening and improving the South and East sides of the stadium are the number 1 priority with this latest proposal. The survey they sent out for these possible amenities is merely a feeler. Also I think bricking the south and east sides of the stadium is also part of the plan.

lets go ahead and destroy what neyland was about seating capacity and rowdy crowds. destroy our history of the stadium and make it politically correct for the intellectuals and the rich. i think i can speak for the majority of vol fans that we don't want this done to our stadium but it looks like it is what is going to happen to it.
:thud::realmad::angry::jpshakehead::no:

updating the bathrooms and concourse can be done without reducing capacity.

Last edited:
Hey All,
Apologies if you see a similar message but I just attempted to post this and failed,,,or maybe a moderator is reading and approving my last message - newb here...

Sooo, I'm a Huge Vols fan as well as fan of this site and I plan on being attendance for the UF game on Sept 24...driving up from Atlanta and curious what's the best place to park for someone without any special pass who doesn't mind paying 20ish bucks...

And if I pickup a buddy in Chattanooga at 11:00, would it be feasible to expect to be in my seat by kickoff..

Also, how's security when it comes to bringing my friend Jim beam into the game with me? I like to do my gametime drinking during, not before the game...

Go Vols! and thanks in advance for these answers and any other tips/tricks you can give someone who hasn't been to a game in about 20 years..

We don't know when kickoff will be yet. Probably not a nooner but it could be the 3:30 game. If it is I'd pick up your buddy a little earlier than 11:00 if you still have to come all the way from Chattanooga

I think I read somewhere that they are actually going to add seats on the upper level behind one of the endzones. So capacity should go up some.

While we are on the topic of improvements, The city of Knoxville needs to add more parking. The parking situation around downtown is a nightmare on any given day, don't even get me started on game days. You have to walk atleast a mile or more to get to the stadium on game days, and a lot of that walking is up hills. Knoxville could also use a better public transit system. Adding more parking and improving the public transit system would go a long way to making the game day experience less of a headache.

I'm with the fix what is broke; better sound, better in, out, Jumbotron, and restrooms.

Whatever they do with the refresh of Neyland Stadium, it is imparative that the seating capacity NOT fall below 100k! In fact, I would prefer that they find a way to expand the stadium!

Reactions: 3 people
Reading some of these replies...it's fairly apparent many people haven't set foot in the stadium (or downtown Knoxville) in years.

Even if they have to keep the bleachers, most of those could be updated. I've still got a little scar on the back of my leg from one of the corner joints that was missing its cover. Damn thing flexed and pinched a chunk of skin out.

I'd at least like to see the numbers on making the vast majority of the stadium chair back. I would exclude the student section, visitor seating, and maybe some of the South upper end zone cheap seats. I'd gladly pay more to not be rooted out of my seats by the family of bigguns that shows up.

Last edited:
While we are on the topic of improvements, The city of Knoxville needs to add more parking. The parking situation around downtown is a nightmare on any given day, don't even get me started on game days. You have to walk atleast a mile or more to get to the stadium on game days, and a lot of that walking is up hills. Knoxville could also use a better public transit system. Adding more parking and improving the public transit system would go a long way to making the game day experience less of a headache.
Between the Ag campus parking and the Market Square trolley, they've already got some pretty stress free alternatives.

Reading some of these replies...it's fairly apparent many people haven't set foot in the stadium (or downtown Knoxville) in years.
Wrong. I live just outside Knoxville and I am in town regularly. Just recently,me and my brother tried to go to an event downtown and we drove around for over an hour and couldn't find a parking spot anywhere. There is not enough parking, period.

Even if they have to keep the bleachers, most of those could be updated. I've still got a little scar on the back of my leg from one of the corner joints that was missing its cover. Damn thing flexed and pinched a chunk of skin out.

I'd at least like to see the numbers on making the vast majority of the stadium chair back. I would exclude the student section, visitor seating, and maybe some of the South upper end zone cheap seats. I'd gladly pay more to not be rooted out of my seats by the family of bigguns that shows up.

I'd be interested in seeing that, as well. I don't see how they could do it without widening the rows. They are so narrow now. If you wear over a size 8 shoe it is a pain to get out/around people

I believe DP said that UT has looked into it before and if the entire stadium had chairbacks it would seat around 79-80K.

Wrong. I live just outside Knoxville and I am in town regularly. Just recently,me and my brother tried to go to an event downtown and we drove around for over an hour and couldn't find a parking spot anywhere. There is not enough parking, period.

I guess we've had different experiences. I've never had any trouble parking in one of the city garages on a Friday or Saturday, day or night.

VN Store

Back