Next 3 games on Vols basketball schedule

I understand it's not in his coaching philosophy to go zone. But it's ok to change your philosophy for the betterment of the team. Not saying you, but seem people act like teaching a team how to play zone is like solving the mystery of the Sphinx. A basic zone isn't that difficult to learn or to teach.

This is something that's always puzzled me about Martin.
He recruits guys that are long , lean and have long arms, but are a step slow laterally.
would seem he'd prefer zone.

This is something that's always puzzled me about Martin.
He recruits guys that are long , lean and have long arms, but are a step slow laterally.
would seem he'd prefer zone.

Dude I said something similar the other day. He wants to play a certain style, and he recruits a certain type of player, but the 2 don't really fit together. IMO

I understand it's not in his coaching philosophy to go zone. But it's ok to change your philosophy for the betterment of the team. Not saying you, but seem people act like teaching a team how to play zone is like solving the mystery of the Sphinx. A basic zone isn't that difficult to learn or to teach.

they've taught our team a basic zone, it was ran last year and this year, for some reason people seem to ignore this fact.

Yes clearly he's the thick one

Really? If I'm the thick one, then why were there so many empty seats in TBA last night. If this continues Martin will suffer the same fait as Buzz Peterson which was being fired because he couldn't put enough butts in the seats at TBA. If you deny that then your clearly the thick one!

Really? If I'm the thick one, then why were there so many empty seats in TBA last night. If this continues Martin will suffer the same fait as Buzz Peterson which was being fired because he couldn't put enough butts in the seats at TBA. If you deny that then your clearly the thick one!

You're an idiot if you think the attendance last night wasn't similar to certain games under Pearl. If you need me to I'll give you plenty of examples of similar attendance numbers to last night during Pearl's tenure.

Brining in 15k+ for a game against a no name OOC opponent on a football bye weekend is A ok with the AD.

You're an idiot if you think the attendance last night wasn't similar to certain games under Pearl. If you need me to I'll give you plenty of examples of similar attendance numbers to last night during Pearl's tenure.

Brining in 15k+ for a game against a no name OOC opponent on a football bye weekend is A ok with the AD.

My son has pneumonia or there would have been about four more added to that number.

Dude it's really not that serious. I'm pretty sure he's trying to get you all Mach 4 crazy, it's best to just walk away sometimes.

they've taught our team a basic zone, it was ran last year and this year, for some reason people seem to ignore this fact.

I don't ignore the fact that we have, just addressing the "its not his philosophy" people. People act like it's rocket surgery.

I don't ignore the fact that we have, just addressing the "its not his philosophy" people. People act like it's rocket surgery.

I do think it's harder to teach an effective high major zone than many people feel. The few times we have run it opposing teams have had great success against it, it hasn't been effective at all for us.

I do think it's harder to teach an effective high major zone than many people feel. The few times we have run it opposing teams have had great success against it, it hasn't been effective at all for us.

You should be able to run it pretty effectively in 2 years. IMO Granted you couldn't run as much with freshmen, and we don't know how much they actually work on it. Not working on it with the personnel that we have is a bad decision. Again IMO

You should be able to run it pretty effectively in 2 years. IMO Granted you couldn't run as much with freshmen, and we don't know how much they actually work on it. Not working on it with the personnel that we have is a bad decision. Again IMO

You gotta have someone that can teach it well, like I said clearly we've practice it because we've played it, but it's not effective. I don't know if that's not enough time spent on it, not having coaches with enough knowledge teach it, or players not understanding it....no way to know.

I don't remember Pearl ever running zone, did he?

I honestly thought we should be better this year but we are clearly not. We should have never been down by 13 at one point. Unacceptable. This will be a long, ugly, disappointing season... Again. Too much talent out there that is not being coached up. And don't give the "it's only one game" junk. We had the talent to beat Xavier and we simply couldn't shoot the ball. Year 3 = not impressive Martin.

I do not understand why this coach's teams start out the season so badly. However, I am willing to hold off judgment until the season is much farther along. As long as we have a decent record, and build momentum later - and make the big tourney - they will have a chance to show off when it really counts.

This slow start is troubling, but there is still plenty of time to put all the pieces together. If not, then coach may be looking for another job. However, this is true for most coaches. If I had to bet, I would guess this team will put it together sooner this year than in the last two years.

We are athletic enough to play tight man to man defense.....Zo just needs to work to get it fixed.....if he doesn't believe in zone defenses or feel comfortable coaching it.....chances are that it would be a huge failure.

Seconded

I'd settle for getting guys to swich more in their man to man. It looked like they were switching more in the second half of the Upstate game, and I think that helped stop Green from having another record night for a visiting player.

But especially with Thompson on the floor, we need to be switching on screens instead of trying to fight through them.

I wish we would use zone. Our players lack the initial quickness to play really good man-to-man. Seems like we still are getting beat on the screens, and can't make it up due to a lack of speed.

Our length is ideal in zone, right?

Agree but not ideal against the two teams we've played. Xavier is sophisticated with cutting and screens (even though we didn't see much) and have decent shooters (on paper that is because they almost shot as bad as we did) and the white kid in game two would have tore us up if he seen zone.

I'd like to see a zone similar to John Chaney's when he coached at Temple.

VN Store

Back