Next 3 games on Vols basketball schedule

I honestly thought we should be better this year but we are clearly not. We should have never been down by 13 at one point. Unacceptable. This will be a long, ugly, disappointing season... Again. Too much talent out there that is not being coached up. And don't give the "it's only one game" junk. We had the talent to beat Xavier and we simply couldn't shoot the ball. Year 3 = not impressive Martin.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't recall UT ever going to zone, but I kept thinking that zone would have been effective. USC upchuck made those boys work too hard.

I wish we would use zone. Our players lack the initial quickness to play really good man-to-man. Seems like we still are getting beat on the screens, and can't make it up due to a lack of speed.

Our length is ideal in zone, right?

We are athletic enough to play tight man to man defense.....Zo just needs to work to get it fixed.....if he doesn't believe in zone defenses or feel comfortable coaching it.....chances are that it would be a huge failure.

I expected a lot more out of our team this yr. Hopefully they will pick it up. If they don't its going to be another long season.

I wish we would use zone. Our players lack the initial quickness to play really good man-to-man. Seems like we still are getting beat on the screens, and can't make it up due to a lack of speed.

Our length is ideal in zone, right?

A lot of us have been screaming for a zone just to throw the other team into some off pace when they keep taking lay ups time after time. But we have been wanting this since Martin got here and it is not in our game plan.

Don't recall UT ever going to zone, but I kept thinking that zone would have been effective. USC upchuck made those boys work too hard.

First, you won't see us play zone much at all. Martin just doesn't teach or use it. Second, there is a time and place for a zone. From what I saw in the first 10 minutes, this wasn't one if them. Xavier was a game to use it because they had no outside shooters and big guys that were killing us in the post. Back in my day, I was a spot-up shooter and not a slasher. I was giddy when a team played a zone.

A lot of us have been screaming for a zone just to throw the other team into some off pace when they keep taking lay ups time after time. But we have been wanting this since Martin got here and it is not in our game plan.

You've not been paying attention then

These next 3 games should be winnable and then the Battle For the Atlantis tournament will give this team some good experience heading into conference play.

What you mean? We've seen at least 30 seconds of zone since Martin's been here.
Don't think keady taught it, so we probably won't see much of it.

What you mean? We've seen at least 30 seconds of zone since Martin's been here.
Don't think keady taught it, so we probably won't see much of it.

I understand it's not in his coaching philosophy to go zone. But it's ok to change your philosophy for the betterment of the team. Not saying you, but seem people act like teaching a team how to play zone is like solving the mystery of the Sphinx. A basic zone isn't that difficult to learn or to teach.

The next 3 teams on the schedule are:
Citadel
Tennessee State
UTEP

These should be winnable games for the team.
Am I correct or will they have some trouble?

Once we get to conference games it won't be easy!
Will this team win more than 20 games?

Not with Martin, he's not a competent head coach. He's not capable of it.

VN Store

Back