new softball signees announced

You know, you guys asked for the real story, so I posted it. I'm sorry that the truth doesn't match what you wanted to believe.

Next time I will just keep my mouth shut, since the truth isn't as interesting as fiction.

What's wrong with what the person posted? It was just a darn comment there DeerPark. I don't see anything bad with it. We're just expressing our opinions. That's what these boards are about buddy. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 person
What's wrong with what the person posted? It was just a darn comment there DeerPark. I don't see anything bad with it. We're just expressing our opinions. That's what these boards are about buddy. Thanks!

meh - his info is pretty much accurate ALL the time - Lets get on with the football season for now :peace:

Last edited:
Some people will just never believe a simple straight forward answer. They think there is major issues at every little thing whether it's a softball player not coming to UTK or OMG this BB player is not here, she must be transferring, Holly doesn't know how bad her injury is..........on and on. SMDH

Reactions: 5 people
meh - his info is pretty much accurate ALL the time, but I guess the AD knows who he is on here, so I doubt he wants to make any waves about the situation --- IF there is more to the story, it will probably come out in the Spring, some reporter covering the UTM games no doubt will ask Martin about it. Lets get on with the football season for now :peace:

I know DeerPark & his status on here. He knows his stuff pretty well. I was telling him some of us were just giving our opinion on the situation & not going after him directly for posting the news. Thanks!

Some people will just never believe a simple straight forward answer. They think there is major issues at every little thing whether it's a softball player not coming to UTK or OMG this BB player is not here, she must be transferring, Holly doesn't know how bad her injury is..........on and on. SMDH

This. So much this.

I'm sorry, but those are not facts.

None of those power five schools offered a full scholarship. I don't think you understand how rare it is for someone, anyone, to receive a full scholarship in baseball or softball. An in-state player certainly does not receive a full scholarship because of the other money available to in-state players. Not even some of the most famous recent in-state players have been on a full ride.

This is true. They have 12 scholarships for 20-24 girls, depending on the year. Do the math. Unless you are a #1 or #2 pitcher or a #1/2 catcher, you are NOT getting a full ride. I would say that UTM offered her more athletic monies than UTK AND she probably got recruited over. It happens more in SB and BB than in FB. She may thrive in the OVC and she may have never seen any play time in the SEC. Who knows? Her and the Weekly's. I'm sure she did what is best for her.

I suppose if Martin was given a full scholly to UT-Martin and, say, half a scholly by the Weeklys, one could see her making the decision to go to the smaller school--but, gosh, she is giving up a lot. We're talking about two completely different programs.

-Incorrect

There is no story...she received more money from UTM....still gets along with the UT coaches who wishes her well.....most of our money goes to the out of state kids and we try and lure the home state kids that really want to be here sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't

-Incorrect

FWIW, after signing with UT last November Martin said, "I am extremely excited. I get to travel and play with some great girls. My college is paid for, and I am thankful for this opportunity. This has been my dream since I was six years old. To be at this point is an amazing feeling.”
SOFTBALL: South Gibson duo signs with UTK, UTC

-Correct

Maybe money is tight with the family. You don't get but one opportunity to play big-time college sports. Who turns down a premier program to play at UT-Martin? Hello!

-Incorrect

She was not getting anywhere close to a full ride to come to Tennessee. She had academic money that did not cover her full cost of attendance and was basically a walk-on as far as athletic money was concerned.

-Totally incorrect

Why in the announcement for the new recruits did ( someone else posted on one of the two softball threads) she say she had a full ride to her dream school. The commitment paper work she signed was for a full ride and that is a fact. She could have signed with at least 10 power 5 schools and chose UTK because it was her dream school. UTM was not even in the picture until a couple of months ago. FACT!

-Correct

UTM is about 30-45 minutes from her house and UTK has not got any closer than it was so she could have signed there many moons ago. There are times in a young persons life that they have to do what they feel is right for them and make a decision on the facts rather than what other people want. I think she did Ralph and Karen a favor by giving up her scholarship which she said and her parents said was a full ride. Why should anyone lie about this money. MONEY WAS NEVER A PROBLEM AND HAS NEVER BEEN!
The Martins have run all over the county for years with travel ball and teams and Money was never a problem. Kaitlyn in July was gone for a month to Texas and Colorado playing softball. She did not have to do this she wanted to and Money was not a problem. The family is not wealthy but Money is not a problem.

-Correct

I'm sorry, but those are not facts.

None of those power five schools offered a full scholarship. I don't think you understand how rare it is for someone, anyone, to receive a full scholarship in baseball or softball. An in-state player certainly does not receive a full scholarship because of the other money available to in-state players. Not even some of the most famous recent in-state players have been on a full ride.

-Incorrect

You know, you guys asked for the real story, so I posted it. I'm sorry that the truth doesn't match what you wanted to believe.

Next time I will just keep my mouth shut, since the truth isn't as interesting as fiction.

-Incorrect

I figure Martin just decided that she could go to UT Martin and drive home everyday. Only about thirty miles from where she lives.

-Correct

Are you saying that last poster was actually Martin responding?

No I wasn't. I have no idea who the poster is.

It just struck me as odd the nature of the post. The poster only has two posts total, and seeing as how it takes about a week or a few days to get your credentials to the board, it seems obvious the poster read these posts, made an application to the board that took a few days to receive, and then replied to a whole bunch of posts saying nothing more than wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Why bother?

No I wasn't. I have no idea who the poster is.

It just struck me as odd the nature of the post. The poster only has two posts total, and seeing as how it takes about a week or a few days to get your credentials to the board, it seems obvious the poster read these posts, made an application to the board that took a few days to receive, and then replied to a whole bunch of posts saying nothing more than wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Why bother?

Have you ever thought that it really could be her?

Have you ever thought that it really could be her?

Again, why bother? All the posts in this thread have basically been harmless speculation about Martin's motives. Whether it be money or family or friends or proximity to home, all of these speculations about her reasons are harmless. Why bother going to the trouble of getting credentials for the board, logging on and responding to a bunch of posts with no information at all just a bunch of wrong wrong wrong wrong wrongs?

Again, why bother? All the posts in this thread have basically been harmless speculation about Martin's motives. Whether it be money or family or friends or proximity to home, all of these speculations about her reasons are harmless. Why bother going to the trouble of getting credentials for the board, logging on and responding to a bunch of posts with no information at all just a bunch of wrong wrong wrong wrong wrongs?

I was just saying Jeff. Not even trying to make it an issue if it is. Was just bringing that out. Thanks.

I was just saying Jeff. Not even trying to make it an issue if it is. Was just bringing that out. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to be harsh toward you and I apologize that it came off that way. I just didn't see the purpose of responding to all those posts saying they were all incorrect without providing any supporting information as to why they were incorrect.

Reactions: 2 people
Kids and their families do funny things. We had a soccer recruit from Wisconsin who decided earlier this month, at the last minute, apparently, not to come to UT. A no-show.. Don't know the reasoning, but some kids grow up in fairly insular environments (small schools in smallish towns) and get homesick before they even leave home. I predict that she too will end up at some small college closer to home

VN Store

Back