new softball signees announced

Lets just see how the Ralph spins or explains it when they announce those that enrolled. There will be some statement to the affect that she changed her mind or something like that.

You live in Alabama so how did you come up with this ? BTW the Renroe sisters turned out pretty good and like the other poster claimed Martin was the valedictorian of her class so whats the explanation there ? The money should not be an issue - a partial softball scholarship and an academic scholarship (even partial) makes up a full one -- coupled with no mention of the change by anyone makes it a story

You have no idea how connected I am in the softball community :hi::good!:

Maybe money is tight with the family. You don't get but one opportunity to play big-time college sports. Who turns down a premier program to play at UT-Martin? Hello!

Reactions: 1 person
There is no story...she received more money from UTM....still gets along with the UT coaches who wishes her well.....most of our money goes to the out of state kids and we try and lure the home state kids that really want to be here sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't

This is probably as close as anyone will know, except the parties involved. The do, in fact, hold money for out of state players who are not a pitcher or catcher. Some in state players may only get offered books/board.

It certainly helps when players can get academic money to offset the athletic money.

My daughter is soph in HS, and is a pretty good SB player. She went to UT camp this year and she is on the "list". I'm hoping it works out at UT.

There is no story...she received more money from UTM....still gets along with the UT coaches who wishes her well.....most of our money goes to the out of state kids and we try and lure the home state kids that really want to be here sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't

You have no idea how connected I am in the softball community :hi::good!:

I don't give a flip how connected you are to the softball community. This story doesn't make one bit of sense. How many high school softball girls would turn down a FULL ride to play at UT which is one of the prominent softball programs in the country & play instead for a much smaller school in UT-Martin?

There's no real reason for a girl to do this. There is something fishy going on with this story. Things are being kept quiet.

You really think money is an issue? What world are you living in there buddy? It's something fishy & we hopefully can get the true details soon enough. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't give a flip how connected you are the softball community. This story doesn't make one bit of sense. How many high school softball girls would turn down a FULL ride to play at UT which is one of the prominent softball programs in the country & play instead for a much smaller school in UT-Martin?

There's no real reason for a girl to do this. There is something fishy going on with this story. Things are being kept quiet.

You really think money is an issue? What world are you living in there buddy? It's something fishy & we hopefully can get the true details soon enough. Thanks.

True - good point and I would have thought Deerpark would have brought the news and since he didnt, youre right something stinks with this issue

I don't give a flip how connected you are to the softball community. This story doesn't make one bit of sense. How many high school softball girls would turn down a FULL ride to play at UT which is one of the prominent softball programs in the country & play instead for a much smaller school in UT-Martin?

She was not getting anywhere close to a full ride to come to Tennessee. She had academic money that did not cover her full cost of attendance and was basically a walk-on as far as athletic money was concerned.

The true details, as you put it, are that had the opportunity to attend UTM without any cost to her or her family, so she took it. Made the best decision for her and her family.

Reactions: 2 people
She was not getting anywhere close to a full ride to come to Tennessee. She had academic money that did not cover her full cost of attendance and was basically a walk-on as far as athletic money was concerned.

The true details, as you put it, are that had the opportunity to attend UTM without any cost to her or her family, so she took it. Made the best decision for her and her family.

This is why we need to do something at UT about this lack of spending/investing in these other sports. Both softball & baseball are neglected badly when it comes to these things.

Until we get this situation resolved stuff like this will continue with some recruits. It's ridiculous! BTW, how did you find out about this when Google or news from nowhere else was even remotely given? Thanks!

This is why we need to do something at UT about this lack of spending/investing in these other sports. Both softball & baseball are neglected badly when it comes to these things.

Until we get this situation resolved stuff like this will continue with some recruits. It's ridiculous! BTW, how did you find out about this when Google or news from nowhere else was even remotely given? Thanks!

I honestly would like to see 20 full rides for softball - they sell out tickets almost every season - baseball doesnt seem like a money making sport and players can sign a minor league deal at anytime and leave but it would still be nice nice to win --- Im not sure if its an NCAA rule against it or what, but certainly there are boosters that could donate the money for 20 full rides

What are you talking about? The NCAA limits how many scholarships a program can give, not UT. UT gives out the maximum number of scholarships allowed under the rules in every sport that they offer.

In softball, the NCAA limits each team to 12 scholarships. You can divide that among your 20-25 players however you want. In baseball, it's 11.7 for a maximum roster size of 35.

True - good point and I would have thought Deerpark would have brought the news and since he didnt, youre right something stinks with this issue

Like I said guys I'm connected to the softball community...hope yall have a great weekend :hi:

Like I said guys I'm connected to the softball community...hope yall have a great weekend :hi:

Well Ok - any others from the so called signing class not coming to UT because of this ? Any current ones leaving because of this ?

Is that .889 batting average listed for Seggern correct???

Coming off their seventh trip to the Women's College World Series, co-head coaches Ralph Weekly and Karen Weekly have reeled in yet another strong recruiting class for the Volunteers' softball program.

Caylan Arnold, Jenna Holcomb, Kaitlyn Martin and Chelsea Seggern will all join the Volunteers for the 2016-17 academic year.

"This class has a little of everything - pitching, speed and power," Karen Weekly said. "All of these young ladies have a high softball IQ.

Perhaps basketball could add Seggern to the roster... averaged 15 points and 10 assists as a Sophomore in a state known to have a very competitive high school girls basketball scene.

Why in the announcement for the new recruits did ( someone else posted on one of the two softball threads) she say she had a full ride to her dream school. The commitment paper work she signed was for a full ride and that is a fact. She could have signed with at least 10 power 5 schools and chose UTK because it was her dream school. UTM was not even in the picture until a couple of months ago. FACT!

Nobody seems to know exactly how much aid she was getting--academic or athletic--from UT, though apparently it was not much. If Martin is as good a prospect as we all assume her to be, she surely would have got at least half a scholarship offer from another good softball program, no? Was she ranked in the top 100 prospects? I suppose I can check that. But the situation is a bit weird. It's pretty rare for a top prospect to end up at a smallish school like UT-Martin. Maybe she wanted to stay close to home.

The collegiate softball, soccer and baseball coaches in American need to start demanding that the NCAA raise the scholarship numbers for these sports. It is utterly absurd that they get so few compared to women's basketball--which I think gets 15, unless that number is wrong. It almost has to be wrong as it simply doesn't make any sense. And our basketball program rarely has more than 12 players on the team!

UTM is about 30-45 minutes from her house and UTK has not got any closer than it was so she could have signed there many moons ago. There are times in a young persons life that they have to do what they feel is right for them and make a decision on the facts rather than what other people want. I think she did Ralph and Karen a favor by giving up her scholarship which she said and her parents said was a full ride. Why should anyone lie about this money. MONEY WAS NEVER A PROBLEM AND HAS NEVER BEEN!
The Martins have run all over the county for years with travel ball and teams and Money was never a problem. Kaitlyn in July was gone for a month to Texas and Colorado playing softball. She did not have to do this she wanted to and Money was not a problem. The family is not wealthy but Money is not a problem.

Reactions: 2 people
From UTM site -- looks like her Senior season was not all that great (12-9 as a pitcher)-- Kaitlyn Martin, P/1B, 5-10, L/L, Fr., Medina, Tenn. (South Gibson HS)

Martin joins the Skyhawks from South Gibson High School where she played for head coach Rory Hinson after previously committing to Southeastern Conference power Tennessee. Martin was a force at the plate and inside the circle for the Lady Hornets, earning TSCA all-state honors on three occasions. As a senior she posted a .448 batting average with 10 doubles, eight home runs and 34 RBIs while drawing 24 walks in 87 plate appearances. Inside the circle she posted a 12-9 mark with a 2.78 ERA in 123.1 innings of work while tallying 176 strikeouts – averaging 9.99 strikeouts per game. During her sophomore and junior campaigns, Martin belted 23 home runs and drove in 73 runs while recording 43 victories along with 350 strikeouts inside the circle.

“I saw Kaitlyn several years ago at one our camps and we immediately had interest. We thought she had got away from us, but we are so excited to see her join our squad. She is a strong player that can really hit the ball and will compete immediately for playing time at first base while providing a potentially dynamic arm from the left side.”

Thanks Mikey! I have not looked at the UTM site at all. You would think we would be hearing from UTK soon about our new enrollees. It seems we are always slow in posting something on utsports.com. Her high school team was not very good last year at all. I do not remember their record. She would have started at first base in my opinion for the LVs and provided a left handed bat and pitcher. She is a great, smart Christian young lady and will be fine at UTM, but I like many others is a little disappointed she will not be a LV.

Thanks Mikey! I have not looked at the UTM site at all. You would think we would be hearing from UTK soon about our new enrollees. It seems we are always slow in posting something on utsports.com. Her high school team was not very good last year at all. I do not remember their record. She would have started at first base in my opinion for the LVs and provided a left handed bat and pitcher. She is a great, smart Christian young lady and will be fine at UTM, but I like many others is a little disappointed she will not be a LV.

Well I agree - I guess its not a major issue like the LV logo

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The NCAA limits how many scholarships a program can give, not UT. UT gives out the maximum number of scholarships allowed under the rules in every sport that they offer.

In softball, the NCAA limits each team to 12 scholarships. You can divide that among your 20-25 players however you want. In baseball, it's 11.7 for a maximum roster size of 35.

That wasn't what I was talking about DeerPark. It's how we treat/neglect the other sports programs besides football. They seem to get the most out of the money to do upgrades & other things needed while the other sports for UT get the shaft. I wasn't talking about scholarships.

I do question why the money issue has to be a problem for Martin though & hasn't been an issue for other major top prospects coming into Knoxville before. Why can't something be done about this? Is her family that poor? I mean something needs to be done to address this problem. Thanks!

Why in the announcement for the new recruits did ( someone else posted on one of the two softball threads) she say she had a full ride to her dream school. The commitment paper work she signed was for a full ride and that is a fact. She could have signed with at least 10 power 5 schools and chose UTK because it was her dream school. UTM was not even in the picture until a couple of months ago. FACT!

I'm sorry, but those are not facts.

None of those power five schools offered a full scholarship. I don't think you understand how rare it is for someone, anyone, to receive a full scholarship in baseball or softball. An in-state player certainly does not receive a full scholarship because of the other money available to in-state players. Not even some of the most famous recent in-state players have been on a full ride.

Well I agree and I still think Weekly had something to do with it -- Melissa Davins dad didnt think to highly of the guy and I tend to believe him

You know, you guys asked for the real story, so I posted it. I'm sorry that the truth doesn't match what you wanted to believe.

Next time I will just keep my mouth shut, since the truth isn't as interesting as fiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back