New rules are making baseball watchable again

Gotta kinda admit I'm not a fan of shorter games. I understand why most are but I'm against it for the opposite reason. If I spend $250 on tickets for my family, then drive almost 4 hours to the stadium, I don't wanna watch a 2 hour game.

Yeah, it's great if you're sitting down to watch at home,but if you're like me and don't go often each year, you want to get your money's worth. I don't go to games to watch a 2 hour game. Your best bet with the shift being taken out of the game is to hope to go to a offensive slugfest. Similar to what the Braves are doing to the Royals right now.

Yeah, it's great if you're sitting down to watch at home,but if you're like me and don't go often each year, you want to get your money's worth. I don't go to games to watch a 2 hour game. Your best bet with the shift being taken out of the game is to hope to go to a offensive slugfest. Similar to what the Braves are doing to the Royals right now.
I experienced this yesterday. We went to our first game of the season and it was 2:02. We always get a refillable coke and popcorn. Didn't get to refill popcorn and only got 1 refill on coke. On Wesnesday, we are going to get there when gates open so I can get my monies worth outta my 16 dollar coke and popcorn. As an aside, if you are a veteran, check out the Ray's Salute to Service program. It provides Tuesday or Wednesday tix for free and discount tix to other games.

Reactions: Pennheel
Go early, enjoy talking to the people around your seated area. Personally I like the rule changes, if only so I don't have to see pitchers tap dance before every pitch. I may miss it in some playoff 8-9th inning games...as far as the suspense....but over all it's going to make the game better.

I was at the Tigers/Angels game last night. Tigers down 4 going into the bottom of the ninth. They score 4 in an incredibly exciting inning that started with an E4 that allowed it all to get going. Then, in the 10th, I looked down for a moment and the first batter bunted and there were men on 1st and 3rd? I asked the guy behind me how the first runner got aboard and he said it is the new extra innings rule that the player that made the last out automatically goes to 2nd to start the inning! YGTBFKM. That is the dumbest thing I have seen since this pussy rule of waving an automatic walk to first. C'mon man. I know that Americans have zero patience anymore to watch a game, but what's next, a homerun derby after 12 innings to settle it? Baseballl is supposed to take some time. The pitch clock was enough to 'speed it up'.

Oh, and Ohtani went 0-3 with 2 walks, 2 strikeouts (one looking) and a fly to CF.

Reactions: Pennheel
I was at the Tigers/Angels game last night. Tigers down 4 going into the bottom of the ninth. They score 4 in an incredibly exciting inning that started with an E4 that allowed it all to get going. Then, in the 10th, I looked down for a moment and the first batter bunted and there were men on 1st and 3rd? I asked the guy behind me how the first runner got aboard and he said it is the new extra innings rule that the player that made the last out automatically goes to 2nd to start the inning! YGTBFKM. That is the dumbest thing I have seen since this pussy rule of waving an automatic walk to first. C'mon man. I know that Americans have zero patience anymore to watch a game, but what's next, a homerun derby after 12 innings to settle it? Baseballl is supposed to take some time. The pitch clock was enough to 'speed it up'.

Oh, and Ohtani went 0-3 with 2 walks, 2 strikeouts (one looking) and a fly to CF.
The new rules changes overall are kind of hit or miss. I like the pitch clock (it's just enforcing a rule that has been in the rulebook for decades) and the restrictions on the pitcher throwing to a base. The throw over rules have really brought back SBs. Indifferent about holding up 4 fingers for an intentional walk instead of having to throw 4 pitches. It was entertaining to see the one game a year where a wild pitch during an intentional walk would decide a game.

Not really a fan of the shift rules, and absolutely not a fan of starting extras with a runner on second.

The new rules changes overall are kind of hit or miss. I like the pitch clock (it's just enforcing a rule that has been in the rulebook for decades) and the restrictions on the pitcher throwing to a base. Indifferent about holding up 4 fingers for an intentional walk instead of having to throw 4 pitches. It was entertaining to see the one game a year where a wild pitch during an intentional walk would decide a game.

Not really a fan of the shift rules, and absolutely not a fan of starting extras with a runner on second.

My hot take is that you play three full innings and after 12 innings it’s declared a tie. I read a stat where a team would have maybe 2 games at most past 12 in the old way. Who cares about 1-3 ties a year? Plus if it’s a divisional games teams would be more risky to try and get a win knowing a tie was an option.

My hot take is that you play three full innings and after 12 innings it’s declared a tie. I read a stat where a team would have maybe 2 games at most past 12 in the old way. Who cares about 1-3 ties a year? Plus if it’s a divisional games teams would be more risky to try and get a win knowing a tie was an option.
I agree, except I think they should just reset the batting order and play 1 extra inning.

What about 3 full innings, then after that add the baserunner at 2nd? I could get on board with that.

The stated reason for keeping that COVID season change permanent was to prevent 16 and 18 inning games, but weren't those happening only like once a year or 2 years?

Oh hell No. Play until someone wins. If the fans want to leave... then leave. Baseball was never intended to have ties.

When did sports fans lose so much patience? Maybe we should shorten the game to 6 innings.

VN Store

Back