New rules are making baseball watchable again

Going faster is fine but I need some common sense to go along with it. Some of this is just dumb.

Such as? Bigger bases for more stealing is a bit silly to me since base runners already wear a glove that adds length for a guy reaching for a base. Outside that, the pitch clock, throw over to first limit, etc., are good moves.

Reactions: Toucan Sam
Such as? Bigger bases for more stealing is a bit silly to me since base runners already wear a glove that adds length for a guy reaching for a base. Outside that, the pitch clock, throw over to first limit, etc., are good moves.
The throw over to first limit gives the runner an undue advantage IMO. The pitch clock is ok, but they need to allow a few more seconds; especially with runners on. The pitcher’s warmup tosses being timed is flat out stupid.

The throw over to first limit gives the runner an undue advantage IMO.
I was talking about that with a co-worker earlier today. Pitchers are limited to two wasn't it? Seems like it'd give baserunners a big advantage. Avoid a couple pickoffs and it's a free steal?

Reactions: feathersax
I was talking about that with a co-worker earlier today. Pitchers are limited to two wasn't it? Seems like it'd give baserunners a big advantage. Avoid a couple pickoffs and it's a free steal?

Actually three, but if the 3rd attempt is futile then it’s considered a balk.

Yet the commercial breaks remain, which is how we got here. The bullpen changes helped only in lowering those commercial breaks a bit, the pitch clock and ghost runners are dumb.

Get off my lawn.

Funny how Manfred refuses to acknowledge the extra 30-45 seconds of advertisement that is added during the MLB playoffs between each half inning

I think the extra wild cards will hurt the game. It's only a matter of time before regular load management NBA style takes over.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
The throw over to first limit gives the runner an undue advantage IMO. The pitch clock is ok, but they need to allow a few more seconds; especially with runners on. The pitcher’s warmup tosses being timed is flat out stupid.
I’m not saying it’s a good rule. But the pitchers will adjust to the throw over limit - they’ll start taking that 3rd shot and live with the result.

I think the extra wild cards will hurt the game. It's only a matter of time before regular load management NBA style takes over.
MLB players have gotten days off forever though. Very few, almost no players play all 162 games.

I would say there’s a pretty serious difference in playing 150-155/162 and playing 60-65/82
Is "load management" reducing some players workloads by almost 30% the length of the entire season? Honest question; I don't follow the NBA enough to know.

Is "load management" reducing some players workloads by almost 30% the length of the entire season? Honest question; I don't follow the NBA enough to know.
It’s not as bad as it was since the nba has tried to fight it somewhat and spaced the schedule out more but for a while there were guys who didn’t play back to backs at all. A few still don’t.

It’s not as bad as it was since the nba has tried to fight it somewhat and spaced the schedule out more but for a while there were guys who didn’t play back to backs at all. A few still don’t.
Meaning they wouldn't even play 1 game of a back to back?

The NHL and the NBA both play 82 game seasons, and the games are scheduled pretty similarly (there are occasionally back to backs, 3 games in 4 nights, etc.). The NHL has never had a problem with multiple star players sitting out of those.

I’m not saying it’s a good rule. But the pitchers will adjust to the throw over limit - they’ll start taking that 3rd shot and live with the result.

Or don't, and it will just be another thing for my Rays to take advantage of while the rest of the league waits years to catch on. 😆

Or don't, and it will just be another thing for my Rays to take advantage of while the rest of the league waits years to catch on. 😆
Popping the champagne a little early aren’t we 😄

Stolen base success rates have doubled up to 80%. I think the league is aware.

I'm referring specifically to the fact that there hasn't even been an attempted 3rd pickoff yet all season. Because the effect is a failed pickoff attempt is a stolen base, baiting the 3rd pickoff will go off the same analytics as stealing bases: you want to get thrown out on the 3rd pickoff attempt up to a maximum of 20% of the time, because the other 80% is free 2nd base. The most analytically-minded teams are going to be drawing pickoff attempts with this in mind. And even if they don't throw the ball on the 80/20 pickoff rate, that means that the steal rate with such a large rate will be much higher.

But both teams know this, so the pitcher is much more likely to throw a fastball if he opts out of throwing the 80/20 pickoff attempt. The batter knows that he's much more likely to throw a fastball, which means he can be read for it to make good contact.

And these are all things that the smartest teams will be taking into account and making use of, and scoring quite a lot of runs off of.

In a couple of years, pickoff success will be a much more important pitcher stat than it is now, since you'll really start to see more of those 80/20 pickoff attempts once the teams and analytics departments get used to the rule and its consequences.

Well MLB does play twice as many games
It often comes down to 1 or 2 games. But throw in a couple of extra wild cards and maybe that turns into 5 games. And Yordan Alvarez gets some rest on game 3. I think I may be under estimating the effect of shallow benches and restrictions on call ups. Maybe not. The NBA is in a bad place with load management and quality of regular season. It's a playoff league.

VN Store

Back