NCAA Gonna Lose

Unless this is resolved in short order, I can't agree with that. Given the way things go with the legal system or with the NCAA in general, this will likely be a dark cloud left hanging for quite some time. That's going to make recruiting very difficult and with the portal being a reality, it makes our roster very vulnerable. Having a kid who went through the recruiting, I can tell you that the threat of NCAA sanctions, bowl bans, etc would be a major negative for a program being considered. Too many "clean" and "clear" options to choose from to take the chance that it will all work out for the better at UT on this one.
Much depends on the 2/13 hearing. If UT is successful in obtaining a TRO against the NCAA, which will be converted to a preliminary injunction, the NCAA is enjoined from pursuing the matter until they successfully defend the states' lawsuit. However, a granting of the TRO by the court means that the court has determined a high likelihood that the states will win the suit on the merits.

After that, I'd expect the matter to quietly go away, unless the NCAA really is stupid enough to move forward OR UT just wants to drive a stake in their hearts. Regardless, win the TRO and the cloud isn't hanging.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Since the NCAA decided to leak information to press. If UT is cleared of any wrong doing, would they have a legitimate case for slander against the NCAA and able to sue for damages? It would be icing on the cake to get some of the money back the NCAA fined UT as punishment in the Pruitt case.

Since the NCAA decided to leak information to press. If UT is cleared of any wrong doing, would they have a legitimate case for slander against the NCAA and able to sue for damages? It would be icing on the cake to get some of the money back the NCAA fined UT as punishment in the Pruitt case.
What would the slander be? The report stated that UT was being investigated. There's no falsity in that.

Reactions: CAVPUT
I look at this case as an opportunity to turn the tables. With the lawsuit, if it goes to court, allows UT and VA to investigate the NCAA through discovery. Find the leaker and you demonstrate at least some level of malfeasance.

What time does ncaa lose today?
Wouldn't count those chickens just yet. Unless you've been living in a cave over the last 20 years, you have to know our legal system is a crap shoot. There are laws and a constitution, but when it comes to courts and judges, they don't matter anymore. It's a crap shoot.

Reactions: cgrish
Even if (WHEN) the NCAA loses, they still did some damage to TN, just from their accusations. It will still put some doubt in the recruits and their families' minds.:mad:

Like I thought: Gee that didn't take long 🤪

2025 4-star DB Shamar Arnoux backs off pledge to Vols
Ryan Sylvia•16h ago
Four-star DB Shamar Arnoux decommits from Tennessee after verbally committing in April of 2023.
VolReport - 2025 4-star DB Shamar Arnoux backs off pledge to Vols

VolReport - 2025 4-star DB Shamar Arnoux backs off pledge to Vols
go read his recruiting thread. start on page 4. there was discussion before the lawsuit about him not being in the class.

didn't play much at all last year, has bounced around to several different high schools, and sounds like he is on his way to another. this was a mutual parting.

Reactions: overseasorange2
Wouldn't count those chickens just yet. Unless you've been living in a cave over the last 20 years, you have to know our legal system is a crap shoot. There are laws and a constitution, but when it comes to courts and judges, they don't matter anymore. It's a crap shoot.
I feel like we have a good shot since the case is in TN and has the support of our DA. I am just referring to the TRO not the entire case.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I’m sorry but you have to be incredibly dumb to think Saban considers Tennessee more than his morning bowel movement.

Agree. I know There's many UT fans that believe Saban is out to get us and he's partly behind this and he's still mad about the game a couple of years ago. Conspiracy 101

It feels like these people are the same people that enjoy hanging out at Walmart on a Saturday night.

Saban didn't retire just to stay involved in this mess

It’s funny to me that some think Saban gives a single **** what is going on in college football now. Dude has more generational wealth that he knows what to do with and is quietly fishing in Florida while enjoying his mimosa.
Totally disagree. I don't think he's involved in any of this but I don't believe for one second he's just turned everything off and is fishing and drinking mimosas.

I've been wrong before, actually already twice this morning, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Agree. I know There's many UT fans that believe Saban is out to get us and he's partly behind this and he's still mad about the game a couple of years ago. Conspiracy 101

It feels like these people are the same people that enjoy hanging out at Walmart on a Saturday night.

Saban didn't retire just to stay involved in this mess
Agree. Only thing I could buy into is maybe Saban complained about the recruitment of Nico and maybe it got looked into. Idk that even happened but I could buy that more than this sweeping conspiracy

Last edited:
It is who has the most political power.

I think that is what this is about. The NCAA feels they have a right to regulate pay for play and the new NIL collectives are engaging in de facto pay for play deals. The ability of the NCAA to regulate pay for play has been accepted for decades but it appears the current SCOTUS believes it should be regulated through a collective bargaining agreement.

I said I believe Tenn is on the right side of the judicial wave here and we'll be seeing a collective bargaining model sooner rather than later. I also believe a lot of folks building monumental facilities and paying coaches in the 10 mil per yr range aren't going to be happy when they are forced to put up 20% or so in revenue sharing. Throw in the title 9 issues and we could be seeing some pretty drastic changes across the board.
SCOTUS doesn't want collective bargaining.

SCOTUS wants 2 things...

1. To stop the NCAA's illegal restraint of trade
2. To give the athletes their legal rights to profit from their personal attributes.

They did both. The NCAA atta is on Tennessee, Florida, FSU, and others are a backdoor way to try to get around NCAA vs Alston. That's not going to happen.

Reactions: VolDave53
It is who has the most political power.
I'm not even sure it's political. I think the NCAA had this planned all along during the Pruitt deal. They wanted to come back later for another bite of the apple then go for lack of institutional control and really hammer us. Great way to strike fear into the rest of college football while not impacting the game to any real degree since we're hillbillies everyone seems to hate plus we're high profile. Perfect target.

ps...the dollar store had tin foil on discount so I stocked up.

Unless this is resolved in short order, I can't agree with that. Given the way things go with the legal system or with the NCAA in general, this will likely be a dark cloud left hanging for quite some time. That's going to make recruiting very difficult and with the portal being a reality, it makes our roster very vulnerable. Having a kid who went through the recruiting, I can tell you that the threat of NCAA sanctions, bowl bans, etc would be a major negative for a program being considered. Too many "clean" and "clear" options to choose from to take the chance that it will all work out for the better at UT on this one.
I wouldn’t consider it a dark cloud at all. The only negative responses I’ve heard is the NCAA and the very few on here including yourself.

SCOTUS doesn't want collective bargaining.

SCOTUS wants 2 things...

1. To stop the NCAA's illegal restraint of trade
2. To give the athletes their legal rights to profit from their personal attributes.

They did both. The NCAA atta is on Tennessee, Florida, FSU, and others are a backdoor way to try to get around NCAA vs Alston. That's not going to happen.
Evidently you have no idea what the Alston decision was about. Hint, it wasn't NIL, it did not establish NIL and had nothing at all to do with pay for play.

Now, there were briefs written by some justices that indicated they would be sympathetic to true NIL deals but in no way did the Alston decision codify enticing prospective prospects with contracts that were de facto pay for play deals.

So, based on the legal wave, which I have expressed that I believe Tenn is on the right side, the NCAA hastily allowed NIL without a lot of guidance. Many schools became very aggressive with their approach to the new NIL opportunities and we will be finding out shortly how far the courts are going to allow the NCAA go to regulate these deals.

Additionally, Justice Kavanaugh literally wrote in his brief that he believe college athletics were using an outdated amateurism model that no longer applied to the NCAA business model and specifically mentioned collective bargaining. If you would like to read about Alston and the justices briefs, you can find all the info easily using google. The direction of public opinion and recent decisions does bode well for Tennessee's position but it's not settled law at this point for many reasons.

Evidently you have no idea what the Alston decision was about. Hint, it wasn't NIL, it did not establish NIL and had nothing at all to do with pay for play.

Now, there were briefs written by some justices that indicated they would be sympathetic to true NIL deals but in no way did the Alston decision codify enticing prospective prospects with contracts that were de facto pay for play deals.

So, based on the legal wave, which I have expressed that I believe Tenn is on the right side, the NCAA hastily allowed NIL without a lot of guidance. Many schools became very aggressive with their approach to the new NIL opportunities and we will be finding out shortly how far the courts are going to allow the NCAA go to regulate these deals.

Additionally, Justice Kavanaugh literally wrote in his brief that he believe college athletics were using an outdated amateurism model that no longer applied to the NCAA business model and specifically mentioned collective bargaining. If you would like to read about Alston and the justices briefs, you can find all the info easily using google. The direction of public opinion and recent decisions does bode well for Tennessee's position but it's not settled law at this point for many reasons.
Tennessee state law says Tennessee Collectives were within the law. The NCAA is corrupt and soon to be bankrupt. In no world does a governing body like the NCAA trump state law in any State in the Union. The biggest problem I personally have with the AA is that all schools are not treated equally. I need not remind anyone when Saban got to Bama how many kids he had on FB flashing 10gs or driving NEW Chargers or Challengers. Emmert was in charge then, however now we have Ohio State spending 13m on transfer portal ? Cmon man. Yeah I support disbanding the NCAA. It is time for new leadership and structure.

Tennessee state law says Tennessee Collectives were within the law. The NCAA is corrupt and soon to be bankrupt. In no world does a governing body like the NCAA trump state law in any State in the Union. The biggest problem I personally have with the AA is that all schools are not treated equally. I need not remind anyone when Saban got to Bama how many kids he had on FB flashing 10gs or driving NEW Chargers or Challengers. Emmert was in charge then, however now we have Ohio State spending 13m on transfer portal ? Cmon man. Yeah I support disbanding the NCAA. It is time for new leadership and structure.
Is there a law that says a voluntary organization has to accept members that will not voluntarily follow their rules. Imo, it's entire legal for a person to cede their rights under a specific law to join an organization that may restrict some legal activities.

VN Store

Back