NCAA Gonna Lose

Even if (WHEN) the NCAA loses, they still did some damage to TN, just from their accusations. It will still put some doubt in the recruits and their families' minds.:mad:
Not true at all. If the allegations are proven false like UT says a hen the NCAA will be shown to have zero credibility. UT will just need to expose any school that recruits on negative false recruiting by leaking info to the media.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Not one bit. GBO
If you think that other coaches won't use this against us, I have some beach front property in Nevada for sale! 🤪 Even AP (Who has been pretty positive about our situation) said on the "Locked on Vols" show that opposing coaches definitely will use this against us, and Eric Cain, Rob Lewis and Brent Hubbs agreed! I'm hopeful that it won't happen, but I'm not naive.

Reactions: Chad F
Not everything is a conspiracy. Not everything has Nick Saban tainted. The earth isn’t flat. We did land on the moon. 911 wasn’t an inside job. Kermit the frog is just a green piece of felt with someone’s hand up his butt.
Whoa whoa whoa….whoa.

…Kermit isn’t a real frog????

I guess it still baffles me some STILL do not understand the issues with NIL and the lawsuit (I know they probably think they do and I know I don’t). It simply does not matter what we think of all this (I personally am having an adjustment period for sure) and our concern for what will happen to the collegiate sports we’ve enjoyed so much. It is a legal issue ruled on by the highest court in the land. We can pontificate our feelings and desires but that simply does not enter the picture. Hopefully the lawsuit will fall our way and we can put it behind us. Adapt and overcome…🤷‍♂️
Right. SCOTUS hasn't ruled on NIL outside of O'Bannon but the opinions of the justices in Alston sure seems to indicate they would rule against any restrictions on endorsement income. There was also a hint that refusing to cut players on on the business profits because you have always refused to pay the players isn't a sound argument and collective bargaining is likely in the future.

Imo, Tenn is on the right side of the wave here but the NCAA also has a right to enforce rules as a voluntary organization. I would imagine the rest of college football isn't excited about this case going forward because a lot of folks have been making a lot of money off the old amateur system. We could be moving very quickly towards a revenue sharing model.

The NCAA could lose a case on NIL as a recruiting inducement if a court rules that it can't restrict a person's
ability to earn money in a market. But there is only a market for high-school kids if the majors are dumb enough
to create it--and carry on with it. In a practical and ethical sense, what is the reason for doing so? No program is going
to use it to competitive advantage when every major has the money to bribe players. Everyone will win a few bribery battles
and lose a bunch--and turn high-schoolers into cynical mercenaries in the process. I don't see the point of it. It's stupid and unseemly--but
of course if the court rules against the NCAA and one or a few schools decide to stick with using NIL to bribe HS prospects,
then everyone will have to keep doing it and it will be a huge waste of money. It's an all in or out thing.

Ah yes, the courts would never frown on all major universities colluding to prevent citizens from legally making money. No way that goes south…

This reeks of Nick Saban tampering. NIL is what drove him out of the business. Mark Emmert, former NCAA president that just recently retired, is his best bud.

Call it tin-foil theory, etc. But, I smell a rat!
Nah alabama is in the same boat we are. They have a collective for nil. They were going to be under the scope at some point too. This is the ncaa trying to maintain power. They want to be in control and it's slipping from thier grasp.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
This reeks of Nick Saban tampering. NIL is what drove him out of the business. Mark Emmert, former NCAA president that just recently retired, is his best bud.

Call it tin-foil theory, etc. But, I smell a rat!
No question Emmett protected Saban and Bama football. The chief compliance officer was a Bama graduate during the period Saban built his dynasty. An article during this period described it the way, “ It is like having your father as the Judge, Uncle as the DA and brother as the Sheriff “.

It’s funny to me that some think Saban gives a single **** what is going on in college football now. Dude has more generational wealth that he knows what to do with and is quietly fishing in Florida while enjoying his mimosa.
All the money in the world does not take away “getting even.”

SCOTUS vs. Alston sealed the deal...ding dong the witch is dead.

It's quite shocking the NCAA was able to get away with their illegal monopoly for as long as they did and now we have to deal with the fallout of a corrupt and illegal entity that was allowed to flourish for decades.

Actually, it was NCAA vs Alston, but yeah, it sealed the deal.

Reactions: Ernie McCracken
Irreparable damage one might say.

If you think that other coaches won't use this against us, I have some beach front property in Nevada for sale! 🤪 Even AP (Who has been pretty positive about our situation) said on the "Locked on Vols" show that opposing coaches definitely will use this against us, and Eric Cain, Rob Lewis and Brent Hubbs agreed! I'm hopeful that it won't happen, but I'm not naive.
I am not saying they will not use it against us but most will see through it. If this goes to court a recruit will be at the end of his career before a ruling comes down. Tennessee will be playing in playoff games and competing. Do you really think the NCAA is going to be able to enforce severe penalties on us before a ruling? Like I said the great majority of folks see right through this. Even in the initial investigation Tennessee recruiting was still competitive and I see no difference here. No doubt nobody wants a investigation over its head and it is indeed a tactic the NCAA uses with slow decisions even when going light on the school makes a tougher recruiting with some athletes but can be overcome just like Tennessee has done on the past. I don’t think this one will have even the impact the first one had, but we shall soon see. Will they try to use it against us, you betcha. But that doesn’t mean it will have the true desired effect. But I agree it’s a shame to have to defend a sham job by the NCAA. GBO

Last edited:
Right. SCOTUS hasn't ruled on NIL outside of O'Bannon but the opinions of the justices in Alston sure seems to indicate they would rule against any restrictions on endorsement income. There was also a hint that refusing to cut players on on the business profits because you have always refused to pay the players isn't a sound argument and collective bargaining is likely in the future.

Imo, Tenn is on the right side of the wave here but the NCAA also has a right to enforce rules as a voluntary organization. I would imagine the rest of college football isn't excited about this case going forward because a lot of folks have been making a lot of money off the old amateur system. We could be moving very quickly towards a revenue sharing model.
The NCAA absolutely does NOT have the right to enforce rules that violate federal law.

The NCAA absolutely does NOT have the right to enforce rules that violate federal law.
I think that is what this is about. The NCAA feels they have a right to regulate pay for play and the new NIL collectives are engaging in de facto pay for play deals. The ability of the NCAA to regulate pay for play has been accepted for decades but it appears the current SCOTUS believes it should be regulated through a collective bargaining agreement.

I said I believe Tenn is on the right side of the judicial wave here and we'll be seeing a collective bargaining model sooner rather than later. I also believe a lot of folks building monumental facilities and paying coaches in the 10 mil per yr range aren't going to be happy when they are forced to put up 20% or so in revenue sharing. Throw in the title 9 issues and we could be seeing some pretty drastic changes across the board.

The story was about Saban wanting Nico so bad, so getting even with UT for getting him.

Good grief! I hate Ala as much as the next, but Saban is not behind this. He doesn't have that type of juice, especially with Emmert retiring. I guarantee Saban wasn't worried about 1 recruit.

Not true at all. If the allegations are proven false like UT says a hen the NCAA will be shown to have zero credibility. UT will just need to expose any school that recruits on negative false recruiting by leaking info to the media.
Unless this is resolved in short order, I can't agree with that. Given the way things go with the legal system or with the NCAA in general, this will likely be a dark cloud left hanging for quite some time. That's going to make recruiting very difficult and with the portal being a reality, it makes our roster very vulnerable. Having a kid who went through the recruiting, I can tell you that the threat of NCAA sanctions, bowl bans, etc would be a major negative for a program being considered. Too many "clean" and "clear" options to choose from to take the chance that it will all work out for the better at UT on this one.

VN Store

Back