'19 NC SDE Terrell Dawkins

A bit early to worry about stars unless it's 5. Alotnof 3 stars will be 4 and 4s will be 3s by the time nsd is here.

Long, athletic, tall kid with tons of room to grow and a mixtape of greatest hits in the backfield.

Yeah, he sucks. Three stars. Because stars mean sooooo much.

Stars don’t mean as much for the individual player (i.e., I agree players can and do out perform their ranking). But they mean a bunch in the aggregate (I.e., it is clear the best teams in football have the most 4 and 5 star talent). So, stars do matter.

I think this is the kind of kid and level of talent that is interested in Tennessee right now - simple as that.

Not Pruitt’s fault, but Pruitt has no benefit of a doubt or grace period from our fans or recruits.

This is the “show me” coaching hire. It’s just different from the last several that way and we are going to have to get used to it.

Get to a bowl this fall and all is well. Miss a bowl and Pruitt is toast.

I think this is the kind of kid and level of talent that is interested in Tennessee right now - simple as that.

Not Pruitt’s fault, but Pruitt has no benefit of a doubt or grace period from our fans or recruits.

This is the “show me” coaching hire. It’s just different from the last several that way and we are going to have to get used to it.

Get to a bowl this fall and all is well. Miss a bowl and Pruitt is toast.

What????

Reactions: 1 person
the junior defensive end/outside linebacker from cox mill high school in concord, n.c., said he now likes tennessee even “more than i liked it before” after his visit with the vols on saturday, and he “could kind of say they’re my leader” among the 15 teams pursuing him.

Dawkins said n.c. State and florida also are in his top group, and an offer from ohio state — where he’s scheduled to visit this weekend — could put the buckeyes among his favorites. But the 6-foot-4, 235-pound dawkins admitted he already “was really considering going” to tennessee even before his visit saturday for the vols’ first spring scrimmage. He said it’s now “most definitely that school for me” right now, and he’s already “getting closer to a decision.”

“as of right now, i could kind of say they’re my leader. But the other schools that i’m considering are still up there,” said dawkins, who has yet to be rated by 247sports and in the industry-generated 247sports composite. “(i like) mostly the coaching staff, because about every school has all the facilities and all that. But the coaching staff really stood out to me. “getting to talk to the coaches made me realize that i like tennessee more than i liked it before, because it’s kind of easy to build a relationship with some of the coaches that are there. “and coach (jeremy) pruitt is a kind of down-to-earth person, so it’s kind of easy to talk to him and all that stuff.”

“i’ve connected with them kind of easy,” dawkins said. “mainly it was coach niedermeyer, and then it was coach rumph, the outside linebacker coach. I went into the (outside linebackers) meeting, and he was questioning me on stuff that he was going over to see if i was paying attention and all that type of stuff. Niedermeyer often talks with him “multiple times throughout the day,” dawkins said, and he likes that niedermeyer is “a pretty funny dude.” “i mean, humor helps with a lot of stuff,” dawkins said, “so it kind of made me like the whole program just because of him.”

pruitt, tennessee’s first-year head coach, also made a good first impression on dawkins and his family. “my mom and dad were talking to him, and he was just relating to a lot of the things that they were talking about, not even related to football,” dawkins said. “something else that stood out: He said, ‘we can tell you everything you want to hear, but we can’t promise you anything,’ and that kind of stood out to me because he just knows what he’s doing.”

“i’m getting closer to a decision,” he said. “i’m not going to really say all that much yet, but i’m kind of wrapping up on the visits because i’m not really wanting to go to too many schools, just because i don’t feel like it. So i’m coming down to a decision already. “as of right now, the only thing i really have planned is ohio state. Then, i’m kind of done with visits for a good bit.” he’s not sure when he might return to tennessee. “i’m probably not going to be up there any time soon,” dawkins said. "but they’re most definitely that school for me, as far as right now goes.”

Reactions: 4 people
Not worth a reply. vol2002 is a troll.

Ha ha - ouch! In all my years on here I don’t think I’ve been called a troll. That was my hot take. This kid may be really good - just seems we are landing commits from the more diamond in the rough type prospects at the moment. I will gladly admit I’m wrong in a few months if this class is loaded and I hope it is loaded!

Reactions: 1 person
Ha ha - ouch! In all my years on here I don’t think I’ve been called a troll. That was my hot take. This kid may be really good - just seems we are landing commits from the more diamond in the rough type prospects at the moment. I will gladly admit I’m wrong in a few months if this class is loaded and I hope it is loaded!

I think its your head coach prognostications that are stirring up the ire of our Vol brethren.

This is said every year. Wouldnt it be nice to not have to hope and pray for guys to get recruiting bumps?

Of course who wouldn't but I'm also not going to act like someone isn't good because ranking. Pruitt has coached and developed top defense everywhere and lined up a heck of a staff. I'm not going to question any defensive take for this staff. Offense is different because it's not a known success product but defense I'm not question one of best defensive evaluators in the college game

Any guess on his rating when it comes out?

I'm not involved in rating players, so it's really hard for me to say. Tennessee likes him a lot, though, so I could see him being rated fairly high.

- Callahan

Pruitt bump coming, folks.

Reactions: 6 people
I think its your head coach prognostications that are stirring up the ire of our Vol brethren.

Gotcha. I have belabored that so I will stop. I have nothing against Pruitt. My point is less about him than it is the environment he walked into. Put simply, he inherited a better roster and higher expectations than Butch or Dooley, and a fanbase that is tired of hearing about rebuilds. As for me personally, I like him and he’s got my support regardless of what happens next year!

Tennessee is also in great shape for 3-star OLB/DE Terrell Dawkins. The North Carolina native will visit Ohio State this weekend, but the Vols have emerged as his leader, leapfrogging Florida. Dawkins could announce his decision any time in the next couple weeks.

Hubbs

Reactions: 4 people
He's not a troll. He just has a bad case of BVS and likes to share his opinion on Pruitt's future at Tennessee in the short term if things don't go well this fall.

I don't think he has gotten over his top choice, Schiano, being ix-na'ed before the deal was done.

Not worth a reply. vol2002 is a troll.

He's probably not far off. Pruitt, like Jones, needs to prove early that he can coach and do more with less. People condemned many of us for pointing it out but coaches that don't win early... almost always fail. Good coaches can get hung with bad situations or it can be an accurate reflection of ability. But the bottom line is that fans and especially recruits want to see the goods. Patience doesn't exist because there's always some other coach with more promise for fans and another program with more attraction for recruits.

The best recruits are sold on two things. The promise of coming greatness plus early playing time or else proven success. Recruits stopped coming to Fulmer once he became an "also ran". Because he was once a proven coach... it was a 5 or 6 year process. By the end he flat out couldn't win recruiting battles for OL's and DT's.

Jones benefited from the former. He came in promising greatness and playing time. It worked. He got some great players. But then he had two promising seasons fall flat in ways that pointed to his inability to coach. Recruits moved on to the "new kid in town". You can't win without players. If there is a silver lining.... Jones worst coaching job came BEFORE the roster was completely depleted.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back