'19 NC QB Sam Howell

“it was good. I enjoyed meeting with the new staff,” said howell, who’s ranked by 247sports as the no. 81 overall prospect and no. 1 pro-style quarterback in the 2019 class. “i really liked everything they have to offer the first time i went there, so tennessee’s always been a school of high interest for me. So i just wanted to go back and see what the new coaching staff had to say.”

“they’re all really good guys, and coach helton showed me a lot of what their offense is going to be,” howell said of helton, who previously served as usc’s passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach. “he showed a lot of video of what they did at usc, so i think i'd fit in perfectly with the offense.” pruitt, helton and the rest of tennessee’s staff made it clear to howell that he’s a high priority for the vols in the 2019 class. “they just kept telling me i’m the perfect guy for the system they’re trying to run there,” howell said.

“i would say they’re up there, for sure,” said howell, who holds scholarship offers from nearly 30 schools, including clemson, florida, georgia, miami, michigan, ohio state, north carolina and south carolina. “i mean, the visits i’ve been taking, i’m actually choosing wisely, so if i visit a school, that shows that i have high interest in them. “i would just say, with the new coaching staff, i’d just fit in well with their offense. And then just the tradition that tennessee has football-wise, it’s all very impressive.”

howell, who also attended a junior day at clemson on jan. 20 and visited north carolina last weekend, has added offers from florida, michigan, nebraska and miami within the past two weeks alone. But he said he’s starting to work toward narrowing his list of choices in hopes of deciding on a college within the next few months.

“i’m going to take a few more visits,” howell said. “i’m not sure where yet. I’m going to sit down this week and decide that. But, i mean, i would say for sure (i will commit) before the summer.”

Reactions: 11 people
Callahan seems to think UT has a real shot here. Would be awesome to land this kid before summer and start building a top 3 class. #1 pro style QB? Aight.

Reactions: 10 people
Callahan seems to think UT has a real shot here. Would be awesome to land this kid before summer and start building a top 3 class. #1 pro style QB? Aight.

Well, he’d be dumb to go to Clemson or GA. I don’t see why we can’t land this guy

Reactions: 3 people

Would be awesome. Some guy michEl Clark I think on 247 has been saying tn is a real player for howell and that was before the visit. He said it a few times on drive by to the board. I guess he covers that area

Reactions: 1 person
Sam Howell said:
“i’m going to take a few more visits,” howell said. “i’m not sure where yet. I’m going to sit down this week and decide that. But, i mean, i would say for sure (i will commit) before the summer.”

Quote from RS's post above.

Guess I'm being greedy, after landing Lampley the other day, but I was wondering this morning who would be next.

I'm hoping this is the kid. #1 rated Pro Style QB, close enough where distance shouldn't be a problem like maybe it could be for Hank Bachmeier from CA. Im sure we may have, but I can't think of another QB off hand that we've offered in '19.

If you're a young guy wanting to come in and play early, then our depth chart should be a hell of a lot more appealing than a lot of the other top schools who have offered this kid.

There are two positions in this coming recruiting class I fully expect us to land elite, blue chip talent at: QB and RB. No disrespect to JT Shrout, but I think he was a relative unknown among most of the recruits in the '18 cycle. If we can land a potential 5 star QB, then the stud receivers and runners will follow. Here's hoping he's a Volunteer before the summer, per his suggested timeline.

Could set us up for an offensive talent injection of:

QB - Howell (or Bachmeier)
RB - Quavaris Crouch or Trey Sanders, and Eric Gray
WR - Lance Wilhoite, Trey Knox, Shamar Nash

From here on out it will be crucial this staff sign great players. Good players just simply won’t cut it.

The other night Helton said it’ll be a run first power run game with downfield passing.

Man, I'm really gonna miss those screen passes we'd throw all the way across the wide side of the field that were lucky to pick up 2 yards. /sarcasm

Man, I'm really gonna miss those screen passes we'd throw all the way across the wide side of the field that were lucky to pick up 2 yards. /sarcasm

I'm gonna miss the fact that sometimes we would run them twice a series

The other night Helton said it’ll be a run first power run game with downfield passing.

What I mean is, Helton has never had total control of an offense. Sure he said that the other night, but hopefully he uses the strengths of his players and hopefully he puts his own twist to it. So we really do not know his offense yet and we do not know which QB will be a better fit

I read that....thank freaking goodness the question is do we have the oline to do that. I wonder if we will zone block or man to man....i don't know what I would do to see our olineman get to second level of defense

VN Store

Back