'25 NC OT David Sanders

Not by themselves, no, football is a team game. BUT, they are the single most important position on the team, and are the difference between a mediocre team and a great team (see difference between our team in 2022 and 2023)

Alabama would have won 8 games max in 2022 without Bryce Young, and we would have routed them if it werent for Young. Just like we would not have not started the 2022 season 9-2 if it weren’t for hooker.
It’s a team sport. While QBs are very important we have seen teams win with bad QB play. That’s why the “QB starting record” is the single dumbest stat in football. Your comment about Bryce Young is nothing more than conjecture. I don’t care how good a QB is, if the OL isn’t any good then they are doomed.

That’s why saying any QB is the GOAT is based solely on personal preference. Because to have big time success, you have to have an entire team effort. Take our 1998 season. Go back and look at Tee Martins stats. Mediocre at best. Yet we went undefeated and won a NC. Why? The team and coaching was really good. Yes Tee made good plays, but we all know without our defense that year, we don’t win it all.

It’s a team sport. While QBs are very important we have seen teams win with bad QB play. That’s why the “QB starting record” is the single dumbest stat in football. Your comment about Bryce Young is nothing more than conjecture. I don’t care how good a QB is, if the OL isn’t any good then they are doomed.

That’s why saying any QB is the GOAT is based solely on personal preference. Because to have big time success, you have to have an entire team effort. Take our 1998 season. Go back and look at Tee Martins stats. Mediocre at best. Yet we went undefeated and won a NC. Why? The team and coaching was really good. Yes Tee made good plays, but we all know without our defense that year, we don’t win it all.
I agree with you for the most part re: QBs being judged by their records. It's the dumbest thing in sports that people take for granted. It's stupid that we judge QBs so heavily based on their records, when there are 22 men on the field at all times. Football is the ultimate team sport and if one guy screws up, a play fails. Tom Brady shouldn't be considered hands down the GOAT because of Super Bowls. His coach and teammates had a ton to do with that (in the 19 years, Brady was a Patriot, the Patriots cumulatively led the NFL in defense in that span. Then that TB D was one of the best ever). Hell, Dan Marino might be the best who ever played the position and his teams never won a ring. And THANK YOU for bringing up Tee. Dude was not a top 10 QB at UT, but gets way overrated because "he" won a NC (he did not. His defense and running game carried him most of the year and actually bailed him out of some big games like Georgia, Florida, and especially Arkansas, in which Tee was terrible). Tee was very mediocre and frustrating to watch. If Tennessee had landed Tim Couch, that 98 team blows out Syracuse, Florida and Arkansas.

That said, a QB is the most important player on the field and can be the difference in a bad season and a good season. I think Little's comment about it being "the only concern" with GMac is fair, given the talent that was on that team around him. But also, as Little says, I think that concern will be put to rest this year and we will see that it was a bad culture/coaching issue. Their new coach from DCA will win big there. This year.

Clint Stoerner was a QB and without him we likely were not in the NC game. 🤣🤣🤣

I agree with you for the most part re: QBs being judged by their records. It's the dumbest thing in sports that people take for granted. It's stupid that we judge QBs so heavily based on their records, when there are 22 men on the field at all times. Football is the ultimate team sport and if one guy screws up, a play fails. Tom Brady shouldn't be considered hands down the GOAT because of Super Bowls. His coach and teammates had a ton to do with that (in the 19 years, Brady was a Patriot, the Patriots cumulatively led the NFL in defense in that span. Then that TB D was one of the best ever). Hell, Dan Marino might be the best who ever played the position and his teams never won a ring. And THANK YOU for bringing up Tee. Dude was not a top 10 QB at UT, but gets way overrated because "he" won a NC (he did not. His defense and running game carried him most of the year and actually bailed him out of some big games like Georgia, Florida, and especially Arkansas, in which Tee was terrible). Tee was very mediocre and frustrating to watch. If Tennessee had landed Tim Couch, that 98 team blows out Syracuse, Florida and Arkansas.

That said, a QB is the most important player on the field and can be the difference in a bad season and a good season. I think Little's comment about it being "the only concern" with GMac is fair, given the talent that was on that team around him. But also, as Little says, I think that concern will be put to rest this year and we will see that it was a bad culture/coaching issue. Their new coach from DCA will win big there. This year.
Funny how the QB has to have rings to be the GOAT, but they don't say that about other positions. Sanders at RB, Butkus at LB, Munoz at LT.....
Put Manning on TEAM with a D and tell me he wouldn't have won more RINGS, right?

Funny how the QB has to have rings to be the GOAT, but they don't say that about other positions. Sanders at RB, Butkus at LB, Munoz at LT.....
Put Manning on TEAM with a D and tell me he wouldn't have won more RINGS, right?
Yeah, it’s silly. How many times did a Manning team lose on the playoffs because a kicker missed a FG or his defense gave up a bonehead play? But Brady’s kickers never missed. And the bonehead plays were always made by the other teams (Falcons, Seahawks in Super Bowls).

You replied to a discussion about QBs getting credit for championships with a 17+ minute video about recruiting rankings. Before I watch this..is it relevant?
i fixed the link, i posted wrong thing first. The recruiting video is a great breakdown as well but not relevant in the current convo. It was relevant for an earlier conversation in this thread.

David Sanders has been flanked by guys like Matthews and George MacIntyre all day. He has also spent a lot of time with Trey Smith during this visit. We hope to catch up with him officially later in the evening, but his visit has gone well. He drove his family down here this weekend so he could get the experience of making the drive. He was excited about that and enjoyed it.
-Matt Ray

There is no GOAT of QBs. There is no logical way to compare the careers of say Johnny Unitas to Terry Bradshaw to Joe Montana to Peyton Manning. The GOAT QB argument is nothing more than personal preference.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
There is no GOAT of QBs. There is no logical way to compare the careers of say Johnny Unitas to Terry Bradshaw to Joe Montana to Peyton Manning. The GOAT QB argument is nothing more than personal preference.
Last thing I’ll say about this, because I didn’t mean to hijack a positive recruit thread.

Just because you aren’t aware of measuring algorithms, doesn’t mean they don’t exist…
The QRI or QB reliability index is one such tool.

There are others too. Not just the good ole eye test or “IT” factor.

VN Store

Back