National Championship is Ours…

If Santi and JJJ get hot, we’re National Champions.

If they don’t, we’re not.

Not a bad place to be. It’s within reach and possible.

If I’m Barnes, I take the team out of KTown now. The water there breeds chokers.

I don't understand this notion that Santi has to be a consistent scorer for us.... He admitted he was willing to give up his scoring opportunities because DK came in here and took the load.

I'm with you on JJJ needing to be a consistent scorer for us to keep going. But I just laugh at these people who complain when Santi doesn't score a lot as some big problem. Santi is more valuable on defense for us than he ever will be on offense. Santi just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

We very well could have beaten Purdue in Hawaii so there should be no reason we wouldn't have a good chance if we play again. Connecticut is good but they're beatable. But first things first, Creighton.
Yeah I will be ecstatic just to get past Creighton and give Purdue a good game.

Santi used to often do that little catch and fake, dribble side step and shoot that was very effective. Don’t think I’ve seen him do it all year this year. I think relinquishing his role as the sharp shooter and living in the shadow of Knecht are likely the reasons we’ve seen SV’s confidence take a hit and his offense take a step back this year. If so then it’s on him to overcome that.

I also think Knecht’s offense and accuracy has dropped off the last few games because he is clearly making a conscious effort to do as Barnes instructed and share the ball more. You can see him hesitating and passing up shots now that he didn’t before. Previously he played more fluidly and attacked without hesitation, now he’s thinking about it, and it’s throwing his game off. That’s my assessment anyway.
Agree on all points. I hope both of them can overcome this but not expecting it.

Really the next game is the most important game of the season. A trip to the elite 8 would make the season a success. A loss as a 2 seed would leave us all feeling deja vu.
I believe we can call the season a success right now. Champions in a tough league by winning a bunch of big games down the stretch and now advancing to the sweet 16. Winning Friday will only enhance it. I think our coaches and players know it's one game at a time, winning the next game by any means necessary

They have lost three times. Two of those games, at Kansas and at Seton Hall, they were playing without two starters. The other was on the road at Creighton, in which the Blue Jays hit 14 three-pointers. They are not unbeatable, but it is going to take a truly great performance for someone to beat them.
Or a one-off terrible performance

I’m not sure why UConn is such a favorite. Because they won it last year?
The highest seed they played was Gonzaga at 3 last year

Last edited:
Santi used to often do that little catch and fake, dribble side step and shoot that was very effective. Don’t think I’ve seen him do it all year this year. I think relinquishing his role as the sharp shooter and living in the shadow of Knecht are likely the reasons we’ve seen SV’s confidence take a hit and his offense take a step back this year. If so then it’s on him to overcome that.

I also think Knecht’s offense and accuracy has dropped off the last few games because he is clearly making a conscious effort to do as Barnes instructed and share the ball more. You can see him hesitating and passing up shots now that he didn’t before. Previously he played more fluidly and attacked without hesitation, now he’s thinking about it, and it’s throwing his game off. That’s my assessment anyway.
Vescovi is broken as an offensive player. His shot is nowhere near close, and he's no threat at all offensively. Appreciate all Vescovi has done in orange, but Mashack needs to start IMO.

UConn has a history. They get in and get to a certain point and the hardware belongs to them. They've got the best team. I wouldn't bet against them.

Vescovi is broken as an offensive player. His shot is nowhere near close, and he's no threat at all offensively. Appreciate all Vescovi has done in orange, but Mashack needs to start IMO.

Then you have 2 similar players coming off of the bench - Santi and Gainey. Mashack is a better ace in the hole to enter as a sub and can then change things up with a different look.

Starting doesn’t matter anyway. Minutes played is the bigger decision. Starting the most experienced seniors has validity as it can prevent or minimize meltdowns when things aren’t progressing well. An example - pretty much every time a freshman enters the game they screw up and give up an easy basket or two with defensive breakdowns and turnovers.

Reactions: walkenvol
They returned a ton of key pieces from a team that romped through the tournament last year. They have two guys, Clingon and Castle, who will be drafted in the lottery, if not top ten. Since the calendar turned to February, they’re 14-1. Twelve of those 14 wins are by double digits. They could certainly lose, and in all likelihood will, because only two teams in the past 40 years have repeated. However, it's pretty clear why they’re considered the heavy favorites to win the title again.

Rick Barnes needs this game badly to shake the national media’s assumption he always flames out in the tournament. He and his staff have plenty of time to game plan for Creighton. We are the higher seed and we are way more athletic than them. Their strength is shooting the ball at a high level especially from 3 land. Their system is hard to defend as they run excellent stuff and screen very well, plus they take care of the ball really well. I really think if they make 10-12 threes it will be hard to beat them. It will be harder to run them off the three line than Alabama or Florida, due to their ability to execute their offense and how well they screen. They force you to play defense at a high level every possession. They took out UCONN and Marquette this year although both games were at Creighton. They are good and extra motivated to get to the elite 8. Maybe we can throw a few wrinkles at then that they are not expecting. As I said earlier, Rick Barnes needs this win badly.

Reactions: FlVols and Pennheel
Then you have 2 similar players coming off of the bench - Santi and Gainey. Mashack is a better ace in the hole to enter as a sub and can then change things up with a different look.

Starting doesn’t matter anyway. Minutes played is the bigger decision. Starting the most experienced seniors has validity as it can prevent or minimize meltdowns when things aren’t progressing well. An example - pretty much every time a freshman enters the game they screw up and give up an easy basket or two with defensive breakdowns and turnovers.
For the upcoming game vs Creighton, I disagree. I think starting Mashack will be something that will cause them problems on the perimeter. It will also take pressure off Vescovi as a starter. Not that I'm counting on any offensive production from him, but if we're comparing the two defensively, I'll take Mashack every time. I just think he'll be able to be far more disruptive. That can only help especially if we're struggling offensively again. On top of that, I see Mashack as to be likely more effective offensively than Vescovi. I think he's far superior in taking the ball to the rim. Might draw some fouls on their bigs, too. All things considered, we've just seen the same song and dance with Vescovi for most of the season. At this point, I'd look to take advantage of any edge we can find and IMO, Mashack gives us an edge that Vescovi doesn't. Appreciate all Vescovi has done, but I think Mashack gives us more defense and arguably more offense if the minutes were reversed.

For the upcoming game vs Creighton, I disagree. I think starting Mashack will be something that will cause them problems on the perimeter. It will also take pressure off Vescovi as a starter. Not that I'm counting on any offensive production from him, but if we're comparing the two defensively, I'll take Mashack every time. I just think he'll be able to be far more disruptive. That can only help especially if we're struggling offensively again. On top of that, I see Mashack as to be likely more effective offensively than Vescovi. I think he's far superior in taking the ball to the rim. Might draw some fouls on their bigs, too. All things considered, we've just seen the same song and dance with Vescovi for most of the season. At this point, I'd look to take advantage of any edge we can find and IMO, Mashack gives us an edge that Vescovi doesn't. Appreciate all Vescovi has done, but I think Mashack gives us more defense and arguably more offense if the minutes were reversed.

Mashack can’t put that level of energy/effort in for much more than 20 minutes effectively. It really doesn’t matter who starts - total minutes do. I’d rather see Mashack have the rest by not starting and bringing him in fresher than any of the Creighton players he’d be guarding. Bring him in quick if Creighton grabs a big lead. Otherwise let the clock run and create a bigger advantage for Mashack when he enters versus Creighton players starting to get gassed. As I understand it, they don’t have a deep bench.

Also, Knecht is probably more effective with Santi as a complementary perimeter threat as opposed to Mashack. Defenses can slack off of Mashack more so than Vescovi and clog up Knecht’s path to the rim. Mashack’s offense is best when he drives - so that also creates spacing issues for Knecht to be able to operate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohhbother

Barnes is not going to change the starting lineup that he has been using in every game this season for the Sweet 16.

I don't understand this notion that Santi has to be a consistent scorer for us.... He admitted he was willing to give up his scoring opportunities because DK came in here and took the load.

I'm with you on JJJ needing to be a consistent scorer for us to keep going. But I just laugh at these people who complain when Santi doesn't score a lot as some big problem. Santi is more valuable on defense for us than he ever will be on offense. Santi just needs to stay out of foul trouble.
Santi has a great stroke. If he doesn't have to score, his stroke works better than when it's on him.

VN Store

Back