Narcos (Netflix)

I am about 6 episodes in. The guy playing Escobar is great. It is crazy how much money he made

Guy playing Escobar is nominated for a Golden Globe and deserves every bit of consideration.

Guy playing Escobar is nominated for a Golden Globe and deserves every bit of consideration.

Probably already talked about in here at one point but he's Brazilian and didn't even speak Spanish when he got the part. Granted, Portuguese to Spanish isn't the biggest learning curve ever, especially the Brazilian form of it, but still kinda crazy.

Probably already talked about in here at one point but he's Brazilian and didn't even speak Spanish when he got the part. Granted, Portuguese to Spanish isn't the biggest learning curve ever, especially the Brazilian form of it, but still kinda crazy.

Depends on what part of Brazil. South vs North is maybe a bigger difference than Britain and Alabama. For example:

Rio de Janeiro

In the south it is pronounced Hio jee

In the north it is Rio dee

I speak Spanish and can read in Portuguese and have familiarity with spoken form. IMO, he must've put in hella work to sound Colombian.

Depends on what part of Brazil. South vs North is maybe a bigger difference than Britain and Alabama. For example:

Rio de Janeiro

In the south it is pronounced Hio jee

In the north it is Rio dee

I speak Spanish and can read in Portuguese and have familiarity with spoken form. IMO, he must've put in hella work to sound Colombian.

My familiarity with Portuguese, especially within Brazil, isn't extensive but many years ago I sat in a sales office not too far outside of Madrid where there were calls made in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian and it was always interesting to hear the similarities in certain areas and the differences in others. The Portuguese sales guy compared speaking Brazilian Portuguese to Mexican Spanish.

As for Narcos, I loved the show and thought he did an amazing job but I remember reading back when it first came out how cringe worthy lots of native Spanish speakers, particularly Colombians, found his accent to be.

My familiarity with Portuguese, especially within Brazil, isn't extensive but many years ago I sat in a sales office not too far outside of Madrid where there were calls made in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian and it was always interesting to hear the similarities in certain areas and the differences in others. The Portuguese sales guy compared speaking Brazilian Portuguese to Mexican Spanish.

As for Narcos, I loved the show and thought he did an amazing job but I remember reading back when it first came out how cringe worthy lots of native Spanish speakers, particularly Colombians, found his accent to be.

Interesting. I don't have a keen enough ear to distinguish south american spanish accents. I might be able to tell if you are from southern countries or northern, but that's it. Just not enough experience with them. That being said I have tons of experience with Mexican Spanish and south Brazillian portuguese sounds more like French than Mexican to me. North brazil speaks more like they do in portugal (and more like spanish to me).

Interesting. I don't have a keen enough ear to distinguish south american spanish accents. I might be able to tell if you are from southern countries or northern, but that's it. Just not enough experience with them. That being said I have tons of experience with Mexican Spanish and south Brazillian portuguese sounds more like French than Mexican to me. North brazil speaks more like they do in portugal (and more like spanish to me).

Sorry, poor explanation on my part. He was equating the differences between the two different versions of the languages. Basically European Spanish:Mexican Spanish :: European Portuguese:Brazilian Portuguese. Oversimplification on my part but obviously there were pronunciation/accent differences but also they were much less formal, higher amount of slang used, etc.

ditto - I'm in like Flynn on this one soon.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

Just don't let the 1st 2 or so episodes throw ya off. They are real heavy on narrative and if you're not into that it's kinda annoying. I almost quit watching it because of that. They cut back on that real quick after the 1st few episodes and it gets to be more like a normal show. Other that that one thing it is a great show, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

Just don't let the 1st 2 or so episodes throw ya off. They are real heavy on narrative and if you're not into that it's kinda annoying. I almost quit watching it because of that. They cut back on that real quick after the 1st few episodes and it gets to be more like a normal show. Other that that one thing it is a great show, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

You didn't like the narrative info?

It's not that I didn't like the info. I don't know why but stuff like that just make it hard for me to focus on the show, You see something happening on screen, but instead hear someone in the back ground, kinda breaks my focus. Maybe I'm weird. I just thought the amount of narrative was just excessive. Later in the series they still use it, but in smaller quantities and I was fine with that.

4 episodes in and this season is badass! Colonel Carillio yo!

VN Store

Back