My annual why are we playing them post

Hay, Bama plays A-Burn every year. Ole Miss plays Miss St. every year. We play Fla. and Ga. every year. (most times it matters) What I'm saying is everyone plays somebody every year. If you are good enough it doesn't matter.

Reactions: BSOVOL1967
TN fans love to live in the past. We play Alabama ever year because we are Tennessee. Lol.

It's not whining about not getting as good as Bama. It's highly likely we won't get that good. No team really has. It just sucks going into every season with 2 automatic losses before playing a single game.

Dont look now but im pretty sure you just defined loser mentality.

Reactions: BSOVOL1967
I would understand the argument more if playing Alabama was ruining Tennessee’s season or if Tennessee was denied winning the East repeatedly because of the Alabama game.

But that hasn’t been the case.

Beat Florida and Georgia regularly and playing Alabama won’t be nearly the issue that it is now
The last time it could have made a difference the band guy dropped SC and Vandy.

Reactions: IH8TheHaslams
Just goes to show the loser mentality we have developed round here. Heck some defend it and accept it as normal.
There was a lot of fan blowback concerning the move. Even sillier considering we played them in that year’s bowl. Didn’t stop the same crap from rearing it’s head when we played Oregon and Oklahoma. Playing them didn’t damage us in the least.

The solution is simple, the SEC going to a 6 + fully rotating 2 schedule. Every class should have the opportunity to play every other conference team at least once within a four year span. If UGA & Auburn and Alabama & Tennessee want to play each other every year, then they may use one of their four OOC slots to do so in those years when the SEC schedule doesn't pair them up. The same could be the case for any of the artificially imposed annual cross-divisional opponents who want to keep it going.

Reactions: VolRoger
Just my 2 cents, Bama is a measuring stick and has always been. This has been a streaky streak since this rivalry has been in existence. It's not a question if it will turn but when. Law of averages are on our side. What Bama has done is unprecedented and is what it is. A Tough loss is what it is and when it's said and done, Bama will decline, it's the law of averages, now there's also a chance that Bama can continue the dominance they enjoy for a long time but I don't see it. Call me crazy but this will end just when is the question. BUT, if you're scared to play this game then you have a defeatist attitude. Stop and think, WE ARE THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE! We lay down to no one. Are we the program we where? No,but we are climbing out of the hole. The Bama vs UT game is a main stay of the SEC and to stop this splendid series is a travesty to say the least. Hate to say this but if you don't wanna play Bama every year, (Hate to say it, but to be the best you have to beat the best). If UT to were ever to stop the season rivalry with Bama, I'd have to consider giving up CFB all together except for watching my son play.

I like playing Bama every year. But at the same time it sucks to not see another opponent more often. I say rotate the east west games yearly.

Reactions: thehill98
I continue to say we are stupid to play them every year. We will get them in the SEC Championship anyway, if we ever get that good. No I’m not afraid to play them, no you don’t just get better and beat them, no traditional rivals don’t need to stay that way for good. No your manhood is not challenged because you believe there is a better, smarter way to approach the schedule. This game puts us at a disadvantage, both in divisional standings, bowl standing and recruiting. Steve Spurrier was right about traditional rivals, you simply make it easier for you divisional opponents. All you trolls that want to call everyone that believes this as some kind of traitor, I say fake news! If that had been Ole Miss yesterday and we were 4-3 coming out of the game the season already looks better. Rant over!
I am with you on this. It’s a significant competitive disadvantage for the Vols. In order to ever compete for the SEC championship we have to win the east. None of our competitors in the Eastern division play Alabama every year, so they automatically have a competitive advantage.

I like playing Bama every year. But at the same time it sucks to not see another opponent more often. I say rotate the east west games yearly.

I'll say this and leave it at that, They wrote a storied book about the Third Saturday In October, not UT plays A&M.... (Example). This is a storied rivalry, and needs to stay as such. Color me wrong. But this series will change and change in our favor, when (No Clue) but it will and then we can enjoy beating Bama once again. UF, UGA, are huge games but nothing feels better than UT signing (We Don't Give a .... about the whole state of Alabama, Cause we're from Tennessee)! This game means more to me than all others, Dad was a huge Bama fan, roomates brother was Steve Kiner so this rivalry means more to me than anything and I am open to all who have bigger rivals than Bama.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Let's just get out of the SEC and pick another conference where the competition is not so good. We could be like UCF and give ourselves championships we didn't actually win!
Can you believe the NCAA actually sanctioned their N.C.? Want to get under a Bama fans skin? Tell them they shared the title.

Hay, Bama plays A-Burn every year. Ole Miss plays Miss St. every year. We play Fla. and Ga. every year. (most times it matters) What I'm saying is everyone plays somebody every year. If you are good enough it doesn't matter.
Yes but no other team in the EASTERN DIVISION plays Alabama every year. This puts UT at a significant disadvantage to ever even get to the SEC championship. Look, everyone knows that right now it’s an academic discussion as until the vols improventheir play they aren’t competing to get to the conference championship anyway. But once we get back to competing, we will likely always find ourselves behind UF and UGA because they don’t have to play the perennial no1 team in the country every year.

We lost ours with Auburn. Still not happy about it.

Auburn seems to have a rivalry with everyone though.

But as a kid, Florida-Auburn was a big deal.
I see them putting good (LSU) vs good (FLA) but other than that, if I’m honest, I don’t see the connections with LSU/UF rivalry. I’m not sure why they chose that route but I guess it makes more sense than UF vs anyone else in the West, save AU. The SEC wasn’t going to jeopardize the south’s oldest rivalry and split up that matchup, AU/Ga has played more than anyone and Ga has a slight lead in the series. Had AU came to the East, both UF and UGA would still play them but no way SEC loses AU/UA matchup.

Let's just get out of the SEC and pick another conference where the competition is not so good. We could be like UCF and give ourselves championships we didn't actually win!
I thought we already did that? Or do I need to get rid of my champions of life “16” shirt?

Rolling on our back and showing our belly in submission a better option?
I get what your saying, but is that any worse than bending over and getting piled like we do now? I see it both ways... I don’t like to tuck tail and run... at the same time it’s just the honest truth that since we are the only eastern team that plays them annually it does in fact put us at a disadvantage statistically speaking from the other teams in the east. It’s just the truth. I’m fine with keeping the game but anyone who denies it’s a severe disadvantage is just kind of dense.

Do west teams cry about having to play them?-

Asking for a friend.
No, but every western team has to play them every year so technically it isn’t a disadvantage for any of them.. is this concept really that hard to understand? Oh yeah.... asking for a friend.

No, but every western team has to play them every year so technically it isn’t a disadvantage for any of them.. is this concept really that hard to understand? Oh yeah.... asking for a friend.
Yeah, it's really hard for people that dont have a loser mentality to understand a concept that would fall within a loser mentality. I dont have one.

I am with you on this. It’s a significant competitive disadvantage for the Vols. In order to ever compete for the SEC championship we have to win the east. None of our competitors in the Eastern division play Alabama every year, so they automatically have a competitive advantage.
Yep.. I’m good with keeping the game but why some people refuse to see this is beyond me... it is a fact, nothing more and nothing less.

Yeah, it's really had for people that dont have a loser mentality to understand a concept that would fall within a loser mentality. I dont have one.
? Dude I stated I’m good with keeping the game.. but the point some are trying to make is that being the only eastern team that plays them annually is a disadvantage to us when we are competing for the east.... your statement about does every western team complain about playing them falls outside the parameters of the entire argument because since each team in the West has to play them it in fact is not a disadvantage for them... some of you just have such a one track mind... you refuse to look at the broader argument or other points brought up and just contiuely bark the same response... you think I’m a loser, that’s fine... I’m pretty sure your a simpleton so I can live with that.

You wanna call your program elite but you wanna run away from a rival because they keep winning?

UT beat UK 28 years in a row. Not like UK was begging to switch conferences. We showed up and got that beatdown.
Solid post.

VN Store

Back