Mullen hires Larry Scott for TE coach

solid hire for them. did UF lose their TE coach? seems strange that it has taken this long to find a coach.

He'll do better with Dan Mullen (and away from Butch Jones) and he's clearly a great recruiter in Florida, but I think in hindsight, Scott was a bit overrated. Even ignoring the trainwreck of an offense last season, we didn't see much improvement with TEs while he was here. But let's be honest ... Scott is being hired for his recruiting, not his coaching.

Florida getting Charlton Warren was IMO the much bigger coup. DBs improved significantly in '17 after a disastrous '16 campaign and Warren made UNC's DBs very good very quickly.

Blaming Scott for Jones' incompetence again I see.

Who is the guy who can't find a job?

I will buy all 9 likes plus sjt18 dinner if Scott ever becomes an offensive coordinator at a Power 5 school again. Plenty of blame to go around there but if you think that was top notch offensive play calling ... you apparently missed the games after Jones was let go.

He should have stayed at TE coach for us imho.

Good luck to Scott and Sunseri and Warren at Florida except when they play UT.

Last edited:
Very good hire, Mullen has put together an excellent staff.

I mean, it’s ok. Our TE’s didn’t do **** while he was here, but that’s probably not all his fault. Niedermeyer just landed a better TE than anybody Scott ever recruited.

I believe the offense that is run has a lot to do with how tight ends perform

At some places tight ends are featured and catch tons of balls at others they don’t do much at all

From 2000-2012 UF had quite a few all sec selections and a couple all americans

Aaron Hernandez
Jordan Reed
Cornelius Ingram
Ben Troupe

Hopefully Mullen plans on using them Kemore Gamble and Kyle Pitts definitely could be very good in the next few years

Last edited:
I believe the offense that is run has a lot to do with how tight ends perform

At some places tight ends are featured and catch tons of balls at others they don’t do much at all

From 2000-2012 UF had quite a few all sec selections and a couple all americans

Aaron Hernandez
Jordan Reed
Cornelius Ingram
Ben Troupe

Hopefully Mullen plans on using them Kemore Gamble and Kyle Pitts definitely could be very good in the next few years

I wouldn’t expect Scott to make players better while at Fl

I wouldn’t expect Scott to make players better while at Fl

We’ll see but finally I feel like we got a coach I trust with the offense so I ain’t worried about it

To me TE coach is mostly a recruiting position anyway

Mullen is very hands on with quarterbacks and wide receivers and he likes to put tight ends all over in the backfield in the slot so I imagine he’s pretty hands on with them too

He sure knew how to use Hernandez that dude caught more balls then any tight end in UF history by far so yea I think we’ll be alright

Also used Corn Ingram very effectively in 06 and 07

Last edited:
We’ll see but finally I feel like we got a coach I trust with the offense so I ain’t worried about it

Mullen is very hands on with quarterbacks and wide receivers and he likes to put tight ends all over in the backfield in the slot so I imagine he’s pretty hands on with them too

He sure knew how to use Hernandez that dude caught more balls then any tight end in UF history by far so yea I think we’ll be alright

Hernandez off field aside was a one time type player though. They’ll be fine sure but at some point Scott will have to sink or swim.

Scott will be solid for UF and be able to recruit much better in Fla than any of his previous stops. The logo will do that.

The fact that UF has hired three questionable coaches that once coached at UT in a very underwhelming fashion is hardly anything to celebrate if you're a UF fan. Derek Dooley was an abject failure at just about every measurable with the exception of offense so it isn't a huge surprise that the OC and OL coaches have done well there. You cannot blame every failure on CBJ and there is nothing about the secondary, or tight ends/offense in general that even remotely hinted at improvement. What other coach off of the previous staff has landed a job at a major school not named UF? I guess you could make an argument for Bob Shoop but considering what he made at PSU and UT it is hardly a promotion or lateral move.
Butch Jones-unemployed
Brady Hoke-unemployed
Walt Wells-unemployed
Kevin Beard-unemployed
Mike Canales-UTEP
Tommy Thigpen-UNC
Bob Shoop-Miss. State

The fact that UF has hired three questionable coaches that once coached at UT in a very underwhelming fashion is hardly anything to celebrate if you're a UF fan. Derek Dooley was an abject failure at just about every measurable with the exception of offense so it isn't a huge surprise that the OC and OL coaches have done well there. You cannot blame every failure on CBJ and there is nothing about the secondary, or tight ends/offense in general that even remotely hinted at improvement. What other coach off of the previous staff has landed a job at a major school not named UF? I guess you could make an argument for Bob Shoop but considering what he made at PSU and UT it is hardly a promotion or lateral move.
Butch Jones-unemployed
Brady Hoke-unemployed
Walt Wells-unemployed
Kevin Beard-unemployed
Mike Canales-UTEP
Tommy Thigpen-UNC
Bob Shoop-Miss. State
Brady Hoke had a pretty damn good DL class out together for you guys at one point I don’t think he would be a bad hire for a lot of schools

Not sure what kind of coach he is but I wouldn’t judge him off one year UT

Larry Scott was gonna be hired by somebody he was rumored to FSU very recently I know he has strong ties to Tampa after graduating from USF so that’s good for UF as that’s one of the key recruiting grounds for the gators

I really think Charlton Warren is a good coach tho and a solid recruiter

Last edited:
Brady Hoke had a pretty damn good DL class out together for you guys at one point I don’t think he would be a bad hire for a lot of schools

Not sure what kind of coach he is but I wouldn’t judge him off one year UT

Larry Scott was gonna be hired by somebody he was rumored to FSU very recently I know he has strong ties to Tampa after graduating from USF so that’s good for UF as that’s one of the key recruiting grounds for the gators

I really think Charlton Warren is a good coach tho and a solid recruiter

I am not judging him, other schools are by not hiring him or the others, that is except for Dan Mullen

I am not judging him, other schools are by not hiring him or the others, that is except for Dan Mullen

Well like I said kind of silly to judge the coaches that were there for only one year which was quite a few of them since I think there was pretty big staff turnover for you guys after the 2016 season

It was pretty obvious this year Butch leaned heavily on Dobbs and once was gone didn’t have much of a plan hiring a first time offensive coordinator and quarterback coach with not so great resume definitely didn’t help matters

Dormandy looked like he had potential in ga tech game but after that it got ugly

Last edited:
Well like I said kind of silly to judge the coaches that were there for only one year which was quite a few of them since I think there was pretty big staff turnover for you guys after the 2016 season

It was pretty obvious this year Butch leaned heavily on Dobbs and once was gone didn’t have much of a plan hiring a first time offensive coordinator and quarterback coach with not so great resume definitely didn’t help matters

Dormandy looked like he had potential in ga tech game but after that it got ugly

That would be true if they had great resumes before UT, and with the exception of Bob Shoop they didn’t. Larry Scott was let go at both his previous stops and Warren was a coach on a bad defense at UNC hardly the resumes of great coaches. There is a reason they were willing to join CBJs staff if you are being honest with yourself. Great coaches coach with other great coaches. Gillespie survived two head coaching changes, that speaks volumes for his ability

VN Store

Back