Mr. SEC on NCAA chances

NY Giants probably didn't deserve to make the playoffs. They gave up more points than they scored in the regular season...a first. They had some awful early season losses.

If UT finishes 4-5th place in the league with 19-20 wins and an rpi inside 50, I think we go. Beating Ole Miss and Vandy would give us 5 wins against rpi-top50 teams (a dearth of top50 wins cost Cuonzo's Mizzou State team a bid last year).

Considering the outlook at the beginning of the year (Tatum the lone starter, no less), even talking about the NCAA is a dream-come-true.

CCM for SEC COY!

Agreed, it's dangerous to overlook opponents as a fan

Nah - it's dangerous for the players to overlook opponents.

We're supposed to be irrational and prone to fits of giddiness and despair.

says so here in the fine print...if only I can find that stupid fan card

20 wins and we are in. no other way of getting in, other than winning the sec tourney. 20 wins, with us sitting at 13 right now, is almost impossible. we would have to go 5-1 and then win 2 sec tourney games. i hope i'm wrong, but i don't see it. alabama and l s u on the road might be our downfall, plus winning 2 tourney games.

20 wins and we are in. no other way of getting in, other than winning the sec tourney. 20 wins, with us sitting at 13 right now, is almost impossible. we would have to go 5-1 and then win 2 sec tourney games. i hope i'm wrong, but i don't see it. alabama and l s u on the road might be our downfall, plus winning 2 tourney games.

We have 3 options:

Go 5-1 then 2-1 in tourney
Go 6-0 then 2-1 in tourny
Go whatever and win the tourney

All 3 get us in. One game at a time though, it all starts tomorrow night.

Win the AP game. Plus One of the following MS ST or 1st Ky game we arent having this discussion. AP game kills us. Or even Pitt game and we are being looked at closer but the AP Game may keep us out even when considered.

it will take 20 wins, all else will not matter. this would make up for AP loss. win the sec tourney ? no way, it's kentucky's to lose.

it will take 20 wins, all else will not matter. this would make up for AP loss. win the sec tourney ? no way, it's kentucky's to lose.

Agree.. if we dont make it with 20 wins the AP lost will be the culprit

I don't think Mr. SEC realizes that wins raise your RPI. He claims that Arkansas has no chance because their RPI is below 67, which is the magical line he has drawn in the sand. However, RPIforcast.com (very useful site btw) predicts that if Arkansas finishes the regular season 9-7 in SEC play, their RPI would be 51. So, this guy just doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't think Mr. SEC realizes that wins raise your RPI. He claims that Arkansas has no chance because their RPI is below 67, which is the magical line he has drawn in the sand. However, RPIforcast.com (very useful site btw) predicts that if Arkansas finishes the regular season 9-7 in SEC play, their RPI would be 51. So, this guy just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your not shocked are you? There seem to be a lot of people who have no idea what they're talking about starting web pages recently.

Says that we have no chance outside of winning the SEC Tourney
Homepage | MrSEC

Not saying the word of an online article is final, obviously many people (including Counzo) disagree, but I think it is important to realize that there is a chance we close well, 5-1 or 6-0, and are still a bubble team at best.

Discuss...

That may put Tennessee into bubble consideration, but I have a hard time seeing Tennessee get the nod over other teams. The OOC is going to end up biting Tennessee.

We will have to win all six regular season games and one or two SEC tournament games. Also no mid-major conference tournament championship upsets. Impossible no - probable?

All this talk is fun. But we really just need to focus on Arkansas. If we win the next 3 then we can really start talking about it. Two more losses completly eliminates us from an atlarge bid. And one more loss will be very tough to overcome.

Why?

Also no mid-major conference tournament championship upsets.

The only ones that would make a difference would be if MTSU/Iona/Long Beach didn't win their conference title, and even then LBSU would most likely be on the outside.

The only ones that would make a difference would be if MTSU/Iona/Long Beach didn't win their conference title, and even then LBSU would most likely be on the outside.

Add Murray state to that. If someone else wins the conference they both get in. Then If Uconn wins big east they get a bid they wouldn't have. If say v tech wins acc they get a bid and wouldn't have. Same thing for all the big conferences, the big 10, 12, PAC 12 all these that can happen with. Same with c-USA if Memphis doesn't win it.

There's a whole lot of teams that could get in that wouldn't have, and in effect will take an at large away from us.

Last edited:
Murray State is solidly in unless they lose another regular season game. With a conference championship loss they'd probably be looking at an 8 or 9 seed a la George Washington in 2006.

Murray State is solidly in unless they lose another regular season game. With a conference championship loss they'd probably be looking at an 8 or 9 seed a la George Washington in 2006.

That's what I'm saying if they don't win their conference championship Murray state AND the conference champion get in, taking away an at large bid.

That's what I'm saying if they don't win their conference championship Murray state AND the conference champion get in, taking away an at large bid.

Got it, misunderstood what you were getting at for a moment.

Just going by this year's bubble, I'd say that Tennessee needs an RPI of 50 or lower to be on the inside and into the First Four. The selection committee is unpredictable, though.

VN Store

Back