Mr Finbaulm is too hard to through to i'll ask VN

I don't think talent is the biggest question. I don't think injuries will be an issue. The biggest question mark to me is the head coach. If he can coach I see no reason to lose more than 3 or 4 games. If he can't win 7 games with this roster, he will just be another hire that is learning on the job. No way Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, or USCe has more talent on their roster. TENN coaching has been atrocious (def: of very poor quality; extremely bad or unpleasant)

As far as talent is and experience concerned this how I see it.

Bama, Auburn, and Georgia all have more talent than the Vols.

The Vols have a talented front seven on defense but what can they get from them? Will they adjust to the new schemes and be able to stop the opposition from running on them? Safety is certainly a strength too, but finding corners that can set the edge and cover may be the biggest concern on the team.

On offense, RB, WR and TE are all solid. If JG keeps improving and he makes quicker better decisions with the ball he could certainly be solid and possibly explosive at times in the throw game. Especially, if he finds his ability to run away from pressure and scramble for a first down. The biggest concern with this team is the offensive line. If they can protect JG and give him time to throw downfield while opening holes for the RB's this team will be much improved over last season. Pruitt's formula is to keep the ball on offense with each possession ending in a kick (FG or EP) or a punt (rather than a turnover). It all starts with running the football and stopping the run. This team will need to be much more physical than their opponents to do both.

Bama has the most talented and experienced team returning in the SEC if not the entire nation. They are loaded. I would certainly be surprised if they don't win the West, SEC and at least play in the national championship game. Vols have little chance at a victory. LOSS

Auburn has enough talent and experience to compete with Bama but will they? They are up and down, and their coach just got a new contract, so a down year certainly won't surprise anyone. Vols play in Auburn and they will get Auburn's best effort so a loss is probable. LOSS

Georgia has talent but probably won't be better on either side of the ball due to heavy personnel losses with graduation and early departures to the NFL. Their freshman class could be the best ever, and they have enough returning starters to win the East but not enough to beat Bama in the SECCCG. Vols have a better shot than last year to get a win even though it's in Athens, but that's not saying much. LOSS

South Carolina and Florida both have about the same or equal talent as the Vols. Both games are toss up games.

South Carolina has a returning QB who is very solid and experienced playmaker at WR. Plus, they get the Vols at home. Muschamp seems to have the Vols number too especially in close games. LOSS

Florida. They have similar concerns as UT at QB, but Mullen is a QB guru. If they find solid QB play they could challenge Georgia for the East. It's another toss up game but the Vols are at home in Pruitt's first SEC game. This is where the rubber meets the road with how the rest of the season goes if Pruitt finds away to defend Neyland Stadium and the Vols win, it could certainly be a surprising season especially of they got past West Virginia in the opener. If they lose getting to six wins is going to be difficult. It's a toss up but I'm going to be optimistic. Win.

West Virginia has talent on offense especially at QB and WR. But, what's going on with the defense? Does anyone in that conference play solid defense? If the Vols can run the ball right at them and keep their offense off the field they should win. WIN.

Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mizzou, and the rest all have significantly less talent the Vols. UT should be able to whip each of the provided they can execute Pruitt's formula which is solid aggressive defense that can stop the run while limiting big plays and creating sacks and turnovers. On offense it's, run first from multiple formations while hitting explosive passing plays to score or setting up a score with a powerful run attack. UT gets wins against Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and ETSU, UTEP and UNCC to get to six wins. 8 is possible with upsets over WVU and Florida.

It's going to be a much better season than last year! GBO!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Why is Florida automatic loss?

Just my opinion and reasoning. Definitely could be wrong.

Mullen will spread the field and wear us down. With our serious lack of talented depth, our D will simply tire out and Florida pulls away in the 4Q.

I’d like our chances much better if we played them game 8 or later.

Mullen will spread the field and wear us down. With our serious lack of talented depth, our D will simply tire out and Florida pulls away in the 4Q.

I don't buy into the tiring out, with the kind of conditioning our guys are going through I think we will be fine in the condition department, especially if we can extend some drives and give our defense some breaks. (This goes for all our games)

Reactions: 1 person
I don’t know why some people act like Fuller hand picked Pruitt.....he offered Dave Doren before Pruitt. Pruitt was UTs 6th choice and Fulmer’s 2nd choice. Thank goodness the Doren deal never came to fruition.

Currie offered Doeren. The mini-Schiano happened at the basketball game and Doeren re-upped with NC State. Then Currie went rogue and tried the Leach Hail Mary...you shut all this out? Can’t say I blame you. :lol:

Edit: Got Everybodied. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like you guys would be better off running an odds simulator to understand variance you aren’t really taking into account

Just assign each game on the schedule an odds split.

For instance:

UT/WV - 60/40
UT/UTEP - 98/2
UT/Bama - 5/95
UT/UK - 60/40

Do that for each games, run some simulations.

I'll take a stab at this too:

LB much improved
DL ??? Literally can't get worse
CB ??? See line above
Safety Improved will be position of strength

QB I expect modest improvement
OL much much better
RB maybe slightly worse
TE worse
WR much much better, strength of team

KR who knows
Punt worse
Kicker improved

That said 7 wins is the ceiling I think

How is TE worse? Ethan Wolf couldn't block that well.
Now we have Eli Wolf (236+) and Wood-Anderson (257)who are bulkier and can run & block well. We also have TE Blakely who is 260. Pope (240), Warren (224) and James Brown (229, I Feel Good!) round out a deep position.

Currie offered Doeren. The mini-Schiano happened at the basketball game and Doeren re-upped with NC State. Then Currie went rogue and tried the Leach Hail Mary...you shut all this out? Can’t say I blame you. :lol:

Edit: Got Everybodied. :)

If you take away his lack of HC experience, Pruitt could be the best hire of the off-season...and there were some good ones (Mullen, Frost, etc). Especially when you factor in that he took a pay cut to get spend the extra money on an all-star staff of assistants.

Florida was actually worse than us last year, but Butch managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory with goal line debacles.

Also, they recruited worse than us and lost more talent to the NFL than us.

I'm not sure how many overall players they lost compared to us though. And they do get the Credit Card 9 convicts (including Scarlett) back and gain Mullen.

But Defense-Pruitt > Offense-Mullen

I really don’t think auburn will be that good this year. Am I the only one that thinks that?

Under Malzahn, Auburn has rarely had great back-to-back seasons. Also, he just signed a contract extension and you know coaches/players tend to have a performance swoon after signing a new contract.

With that said, Auburn is definitely an upset alert game, even if it is at the barn.

I don't buy into the tiring out, with the kind of conditioning our guys are going through I think we will be fine in the condition department, especially if we can extend some drives and give our defense some breaks. (This goes for all our games)

Are you saying the 1s will play the entire game and not get tired, or are you saying we have depth and talent in the 2s?

I respectfully disagree, whichever way you go.

My guess is, due to lack of depth, 1s will be forced to play A LOT, especially on D, and will be tired in the 4Q. That’s what I meant in my original comment.

It has been every year since 1502. No reason why this one would be any different

That's gonna change this year, I gots some voodoo magic marinating as we speak. If you have any Ayam Cemani semen you can spare, I need some extra to add with the gator brain.

Upon reading the title my thoughts were "this is a drunk post and should be fun" lol

But it's a good pick. I think WV is a toss up at this point and depending on the level of improvement I think Vandy is a toss up.

I keep hearing about talent, talent, talent. I think those kids are talented enough to put more W's than loses this year and last.

VN Store

Back