Mr Finbaulm is too hard to through to i'll ask VN

I think 7-5 or 6-6 is probably where we end up if we stay healthy, but injuries could make it worse.

Wins - ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte, Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri

UF or WVU could be a win if we play out of our minds and the ball bounces our way, but don’t think we’re going to win both. We could easily lose both.

No way we win @UGA, @Aub, Bama, and @USCjr

Joking aside.

If you had said 7 was the ceiling I would have disagreed but understood. The way you explain it here makes no sense to me.

If we beat everyone except AL, GA, AU and SC, that means we beat FL and WV, but you said you don't think we win both. Just seems to me if you think it is possible to win both of those, it wouldn't be a stretch to beat SC.

Just my opinion.

Joking aside.

If you had said 7 was the ceiling I would have disagreed but understood. The way you explain it here makes no sense to me.

If we beat everyone except AL, GA, AU and SC, that means we beat FL and WV, but you said you don't think we win both. Just seems to me if you think it is possible to win both of those, it wouldn't be a stretch to beat SC.

Just my opinion.

I gave you 6 probable or definite wins. Then I said we could win both of UF and WVU (8 wins) or lose both (6 wins) or split (7 wins). That’s not confusing, is it?

Although not likely, we could also lose to both UF and WVU and have the injury bug hit us and lose late in the year to Vandy, Kentucky, or Missouri (5 wins)

The reason so many are down on us, even with this supposed talent, is because the team is still underdeveloped. It’s difficult to change that in one off season.

The 4 wins we actually had could have been 6 or they could have been 2. It’s just the way it bounced. Not the greatest foundation to build from for Pruitt.

I gave you 6 probable or definite wins. Then I said we could win both of UF and WVU (8 wins) or lose both (6 wins) or split (7 wins). That’s not confusing, is it?

Its not confusing, I just don't hold as high of opinion of SC as you do. I believe if we were to beat the 6 you mentioned and FL and WV then there is a really good chance we beat SC too.

Edit: by the way, I never said anything about your "floor" comment, only your ceiling.

Last edited:
I really don’t think auburn will be that good this year. Am I the only one that thinks that?

The thing that concerns me about Auburn and I guess WV is a fast pace offense especially right out of the gate. It’s hard enough to scheme against anyway but throw all the newness(and I realize depth and talent will be different as well) and I’m afraid we’ll be lost. Our depth will hit us hard in these types of games but hopefully better conditioning will help. All this back and forth arguing about what our record will be in 2018 is probably a crap shoot more than say the last 5 years. No one, and I mean no one, really has a clue at this point. 4-8 or 8-4 or somewhere in between is anybody’s guess. Have fun though continuing the debate.

I don’t think we made the wrong hire, I think we made the only one we could have after botching the process. Pruitt was never a first choice for UT or any other SEC school, we were forced into it because every other coach after Shciano was playing us for a raise and extension. Is what it is. Hope Pruitt succeeds and leads us back tot he promised land, just like I hoped Dools and Butch could do, but let’s not pretend he’s the coach we wanted all along.

That said, I disagree that 6-6 is our floor. Sorry you struggle with my opinion, but it’s really not that controversial Behr. It’s a preseason prediction, internet fodder....that’s all

I believe that you would be spot on if the AD was purely an administrator which would never would have hired JP. But Fulmer was very pointed in his approach to this coaching search. He stated that of the 8 losses this team suffered, 7 of them were to teams coached by defensive minded coaches.(Fulmer himself was an offensive coach) He also stated things that needed to be accomplished in which you can't achieve by being cute. (Insert favorite Butch Jones reference here) So I do believe there was a difference between an administrator interviewing a coach and a coach interviewing a coach.

We’re looking at 6-6. Pollack called it on SEC Media Days when our schedule was on screen and he challenged Finebaum, McElroy, and Spears with “show me 3 wins in the first 8 games.” No one answered.

No more Kool-Aid for me. Pruitt will be a great coach for us, but he won’t beat WVU in his first game or Mullen/UF in only his 4th game. Not with this bunch.

We go 6-6 because, no matter how good our coaches are, we won’t have the depth to finish the tougher SEC games, not yet, Pruitt needs time.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think it's reasonable to rule out any record between 9-3 and 3-9. We can make guesses but the bottom line is nobody really knows what we have. I lean towards 7-5 myself. I think Butch was a lot of our problem, but not as much as the extreme optimists are counting on. Even if Pruitt is our guy, and I like what I see so far from a football standpoint, I think it will be hard to get the 4-8 mentality out in 1 year. At the end of the day though, it's just guesswork though, in my case mixed with a little hope.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe that you would be spot on if the AD was purely an administrator which would never would have hired JP. But Fulmer was very pointed in his approach to this coaching search. He stated that of the 8 losses this team suffered, 7 of them were to teams coached by defensive minded coaches.(Fulmer himself was an offensive coach) He also stated things that needed to be accomplished in which you can't achieve by being cute. (Insert favorite Butch Jones reference here) So I do believe there was a difference between an administrator interviewing a coach and a coach interviewing a coach.

I don’t know why some people act like Fuller hand picked Pruitt.....he offered Dave Doren before Pruitt. Pruitt was UTs 6th choice and Fulmer’s 2nd choice. Thank goodness the Doren deal never came to fruition.

I don’t know why some people act like Fuller hand picked Pruitt.....he offered Dave Doren before Pruitt. Pruitt was UTs 6th choice and Fulmer’s 2nd choice. Thank goodness the Doren deal never came to fruition.

We like to revise things here and there. Take heart, many here have already confirmed that Pruitt was the best hire in all of college football this cycle.

I don’t know why some people act like Fuller hand picked Pruitt.....he offered Dave Doren before Pruitt. Pruitt was UTs 6th choice and Fulmer’s 2nd choice. Thank goodness the Doren deal never came to fruition.[/QUOTE

Heck wasn’t saban like 2nd choice for bammer to? Lol Definitely not comparing the two as HCs

We like to revise things here and there. Take heart, many here have already confirmed that Pruitt was the best hire in all of college football this cycle.

I remember a thread asking opinions of who was the best hire in the SEC this past cycle and some saying they thought Pruitt was. I don't remember it being many and it certainly wasn't any type of "confirmation" and it wasn't in all of college football, lol. Yea, "WE" do like to "revise" things here and there.

Am I wrong in thinking that the Doeren deal was before Fulmer became AD, and that it was during Curry’s horrendous coaching search?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Tenn barely lost to UF and USCe last year with terrible coaching. Who do you think improves more this year, Fl, Cocks, or VOLS. Why do people think Fl will suddenly turn it around from a losing season (their recruiting has been down for a few years) but are basically writing off Missouri from improving from 6 wins.

Tenn barely lost to UF and USCe last year with terrible coaching. Who do you think improves more this year, Fl, Cocks, or VOLS. Why do people think Fl will suddenly turn it around from a losing season (their recruiting has been down for a few years) but are basically writing off Missouri from improving from 6 wins.

The same reason people are predicting Tennessee to be better. Improved coaching. I do think people are selling Missouri short. But Florida is basically in the same situation as us.

Last edited:
And I was wrong. My mistake, and maybe that answers my question of why some people think Fuller hand picked Pruitt.....because he did. I’ll take my medicine like a big boy.

I saw it, We can only judge, and I’m sure we will, when we all just watch and judge Fuller’s pick. After all, we are Vol Nation. 😁.

We’re looking at 6-6. Pollack called it on SEC Media Days when our schedule was on screen and he challenged Finebaum, McElroy, and Spears with “show me 3 wins in the first 8 games.” No one answered.

No more Kool-Aid for me. Pruitt will be a great coach for us, but he won’t beat WVU in his first game or Mullen/UF in only his 4th game. Not with this bunch.

We go 6-6 because, no matter how good our coaches are, we won’t have the depth to finish the tougher SEC games, not yet, Pruitt needs time.

Why is Florida automatic loss?

VN Store

Back