Moving to Knoxville

I have also found that chains sell things that people like to buy.

Sure they do. The problem arises when visitors come to down and you take them to Cracker Barrel or Outback or OCharleys or Chuys or etc etc etc There just seems to be more family owned places closer to town. That was my point.

Sure they do. The problem arises when visitors come to down and you take them to Cracker Barrel or Outback or OCharleys or Chuys or etc etc etc There just seems to be more family owned places closer to town. That was my point.

Trio's (Market Square) catered lunch at work a couple of years ago. Ate half my sandwich before noticing that the bread was moldy. I would have preferred that we had traded with a chain that day.

Trio's (Market Square) catered lunch at work a couple of years ago. Ate half my sandwich before noticing that the bread was moldy. I would have preferred that we had traded with a chain that day.

OK. Next time I want a good burger I'll go to Cookout instead of Stock & Barrel.

And the last time I ate at Cheddars, the teenage kid serving us brought me a sirloin instead of the ribeye that I ordered. Once I asked him to make sure that we were only charged for a sirloin, he proceeded to argue with me that the cut of meat in front of me was, in fact, a ribeye.

Do you really only eat at chains? I mean, has one bad experience, a couple of years ago, with a local establishment turned you away from supporting local entrepreneurs and chefs? Stock & Barrel, Tomato Head, Bistro by the Bijou, Sweet P's, OliBea's, North Corner Sandwich Shop, Suttree's High Gravity Tavern (though really only known as a bar, it has awesome food), Nama, Soccer Taco, Archers BBQ, Crown & Goose, Chez Guevara...all have fantastic food and I'd rather go to any of these places and keep my money in Knoxville than step foot in any chain.

I mean, prior to the advancements of smart phones, and in turn apps like Yelp, whenever I was out of town the first thing I would do would be to ask locals what they recommend eating. That's one of the main reasons I don't like chains. Sure, I enjoy the creature comforts of Mama's Pancake Breakfast from Cracker Barrel every now and again, but wouldn't you prefer to try something new in a new place? Find out what life is really like there?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
And the last time I ate at Cheddars, the teenage kid serving us brought me a sirloin instead of the ribeye that I ordered. Once I asked him to make sure that we were only charged for a sirloin, he proceeded to argue with me that the cut of meat in front of me was, in fact, a ribeye.

Do you really only eat at chains? I mean, has one bad experience, a couple of years ago, with a local establishment turned you away from supporting local entrepreneurs and chefs? Stock & Barrel, Tomato Head, Bistro by the Bijou, Sweet P's, OliBea's, North Corner Sandwich Shop, Suttree's High Gravity Tavern (though really only known as a bar, it has awesome food), Nama, Soccer Taco, Archers BBQ, Crown & Goose, Chez Guevara...all have fantastic food and I'd rather go to any of these places and keep my money in Knoxville than step foot in any chain.

Soccer Taco and Nama are trash. You don't have many better options for Sushi in Knoxville, however, there are a ton of better Mexican restaurants than Soccer Taco.

West Knoxville also has locally owned establishments.

What are your favorites? I work out West and would like some new lunch options...other than what I've already mentioned. And yes, I know that Calhouns, Aubrey's, et al, are locally owned.

Soccer Taco and Nama are trash. You don't have many better options for Sushi in Knoxville, however, there are a ton of better Mexican restaurants than Soccer Taco.

Yeah, I included Soccer Taco as they have the Bearden Hill location, I didn't want to seem like I was exclusive to downtown restaurants and wanted more than just Chez Guevara and Archers. Though I do really love the huevos al gusto con chorizo that they have on the lunch menu...get a side of their habanero sauce for it as well...oooooh weeee. Lorena's Market & Deli on Lonas Dr is freaking great, but seeing as how there's no English whatsoever on their menu, I get the feeling that will scare a lot of people off. A friend told me I also need to try the taco stands at Green Acre's Flea Market...sounds crazy...but I've heard they're the best in town. As far as Nama, I'm open to suggestions of better options in Knoxville, I've heard Lemon Grass is really good, but I've not tried it yet.

I'm not trying to troll the guy, I'm just trying to get people out of so many chains. I've had the same conversation with my parents many times. Maybe I'm weird, but I like to keep my money local when I can.

Last edited:
What are your favorites? I work out West and would like some new lunch options...other than what I've already mentioned. And yes, I know that Calhouns, Aubrey's, et al, are locally owned.

Pizza Kitchen, Fuji, Archer's, Sitar, Plaid Apron, Dead End BBQ, Mexican place in Lovell Heights Center to name a few. There's a Nama's in Homberg and a Tomato Head in The Gallery. There's also a Stir Fry in The Gallery.

Last edited:
Many of the chains in West Knoxville are very good too. Chipotle, Lenny's, Penn Station, Jason's Deli, Moe's, Brixx, Salsarita's, Buddy's, Nixon's. Lakeside Tavern. Altruda's. Ramsey's Cafeteria. Mulligan's.

Last edited:
Pizza Kitchen, Fuji, Archer's, Sitar, Plaid Apron, Dead End BBQ, Mexican place in Lovell Heights Center to name a few. There's a Nama's in Homberg and a Tomato Head in The Gallery. There's also a Stir Fry in The Gallery.

If you like Sitar, make sure to check out Bombay Palace in Turkey Creek. Lunch buffet every day (I think, could just be weekdays) and it's really good.

Another chain that doesn't suck. Try the Earth Fare hot bar. I think that they also have an outside grill going for lunch on Sunday's in the warm months.

Point is... West Knoxville is much more than rush hour traffic jam ups and McDonald's & Burger Kings. But if that's the perception that keeps the riff raff away... good for us.

Reactions: 2 people
To the OP, a very convenient and affordable west side area for renters is around Lonas Road. London Town, Sutter's Mill, Sunflower, Papermill Square, Country. Oaks, West Town Manor, Crossroads West, Green Briar. Minutes to downtown... about four escape routes from downtown during rush hour.

Last edited:
Nama .. trash.

Nama is the only sushi place in East TN that would survive in a big city. Amazing preparation and presentation, and they have unique fresh catch brought in year-round. It's the only place I like to eat sushi here.

Add Echo, Seasons, Linderhof, Meksiko, La Parilla, East Japan, and Little Bangkok to the list of quality independent West Knox restaurants.

Nama is the only sushi place in East TN that would survive in a big city. Amazing preparation and presentation, and they have unique fresh catch brought in year-round. It's the only place I like to eat sushi here.

I live on the coast so I'm a bit spoiled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1

Granted I can't taste anything from that photo, but presentation wise, I see nothing that looks better than any roll that I've ever gotten at Nama.

That said, seafood by the coast is always better than seafood inland.

Granted I can't taste anything from that photo, but presentation wise, I see nothing that looks better than any roll that I've ever gotten at Nama.

That said, seafood by the coast is always better than seafood inland.

Here's the difference....that plate was only $12 and tasted way better than any sushi I've ever had at Nama. Trust me, I love Knoxville and support all the local places, but the Sushi always let me down (which I'm ok with due to its geography).

That could have come from Publix or Fresh Market -- generic rolls and sashimi. Nama gets fresh rare tunas, jack, flying fish, etc, and none of that comes from around the U.S. I lived in Tampa for three years and Nama is as good as anywhere down there.

VN Store

Back