More blatant proof CHF and Ole Miss are dirty

We did do it. We sold our basketball program down the river for 5 years to get Allan Houston.

That's a common narrative on here but it's not true. Doug Dickey had offered the head coaching job to Pat Kennedy of Florida St in 1989 and Kennedy initially accepted. UT was in the process of calling the press conference to announce the hiring when Kennedy backed out of the oral agreement (believed to be because his wife balked at the move to Knoxville). UT's then President, Lamar Alexander, had been pushing Dickey to make a minority hire and once Dickey had whiffed on his choice, Alexander took it out of his hands and tabbed Alcoa native Wade Houston. Alexander was likely aware that Houston had an All-American son but that hire was made because Alexander (who had very ambitious political aspirations) wanted Tennessee to be the first SEC school to hire a black head basketball coach as a sort of feather in his cap (and Wade was regarded as a very good recruiter in the 1980's - Louisville was never the same under Denny Crum after he left).

Reactions: 1 person
You really think there are only hypocrites on this site? Legal doesn't always mean ethical and I hope that Butch wouldn't have to resort to this practice and at least so far there is no evidence that he would.

No, but there are a lot! During the Dooley years, when Saban would over-recruit or not renew a scholly he was ridiculed on here for not being a man of his word, etc.

Now, we're praising Butch for doing it. Before you say, "link"...it's Tennessee Vols Football, Vols Basketball, and Lady Vols.

I don't see why this is an issue. So what he gave someone a job. Doesent mean the kid won't be a bust. Ole Miss will still ole Miss at some point in the season.

Let it go everyone cheats.

Well ncaa needs to not worry about barbqs during pearls time not @ UT and not worry about college girls going to HS football game.

If that is cheating so is hiring recruits kin folk or coach, players getting cars and suits, deer antler spray.

Ncaa needs to nail everybody or stop. Not pick and choose.

As long as the relative performs the work they were hired to do, it's not illegal or even uncommon. The most famous case of this sort of thing involved Larry Brown of Kansas hiring Danny Manning's dad Ed (from Greensboro NC) in 1983, who was working as a truck driver at the time, while Danny was being heavily recruited by Kansas but considered a heavy lean to North Carolina.

You make it sound as if hiring Ed Manning was ludicrous. Ed, a former NBA and ABA player, who was an assistant coach and scout for the Spurs after leaving KU, knew a bit more about basketball than the typical truck driver.

You make it sound as if hiring Ed Manning was ludicrous. Ed, a former NBA and ABA player, who was an assistant coach and scout for the Spurs after leaving KU, knew a bit more about basketball than the typical truck driver.

You mean the same team that was also coached by none other than Larry Brown????? Yes, it was ludicrous. It was strictly a ploy to land Danny, who would have gone to North Carolina, otherwise. To argue differently is to either be a Kansas fan or to be hopelessly naive.

You mean the same team that was also coached by none other than Larry Brown????? Yes, it was ludicrous. It was strictly a ploy to land Danny, who would have gone to North Carolina, otherwise. To argue differently is to either be a Kansas fan or to be hopelessly naive.

There's no argument about that. But to pretend Danny Manning's father wasn't highly qualified for the job is beyond naive.

There's no argument about that. But to pretend Danny Manning's father wasn't highly qualified for the job is beyond naive.

I think highly qualified is a stretch or he wouldn't have been driving a truck at the time he was hired. However you choose to see it though, Danny Manning did carry them to a National Championship in 1988 so it's hard to argue with the result.

Yes, Ed was hired to land Danny. That said, Ed knew plenty about basketball and coaching. I'm sorry that the facts don't support your narrative of, "They just hired a truck driver".

I think highly qualified is a stretch or he wouldn't have been driving a truck at the time he was hired. However you choose to see it though, Danny Manning did carry them to a National Championship in 1988 so it's hard to argue with the result.

Yea, he was hired solely to land Danny Manning. He wasn't qualified at all. He was so unqualified that when Brown left KU for the Spurs, he brought Ed Manning with him.

Yea, he was hired solely to land Danny Manning. He wasn't qualified at all. He was so unqualified that when Brown left KU for the Spurs, he brought Ed Manning with him.

Maybe Brown thought the NBA teams also relied on recruiting?

I'm sure that Larry Brown was very grateful to Ed for the Natty his son was mostly responsible for... and if you think that Brown (who is on the verge of getting his third NCAA team placed on probation at SMU - following probation stints at UCLA and Kansas) was above making promises of long term employment to Ed Manning if he was to ever leave Kansas then yes, you are naive, sir. That is how Larry Brown rolls.

I'm sure that Larry Brown was very grateful to Ed for the Natty his son was mostly responsible for... and if you think that Brown (who is on the verge of getting his third NCAA team placed on probation at SMU - following probation stints at UCLA and Kansas) was above making promises of long term employment to Ed Manning if he was to ever leave Kansas then yes, you are naive, sir. That is how Larry Brown rolls.

Yeah, Larry Brown would waste an assistant position on an NBA squad for a thank you note. You aren't naive, sir, you're just stupid. Feel free to report me for calling you that, but there's a not a better word in the English dictionary to define your thoughts on the matter.

You do know that Ed worked as a scout for the Spurs, even after Brown was gone. Wait, I bet you didn't know that. So, glad I told you.

Yeah, Larry Brown would waste an assistant position on an NBA squad for a thank you note. You aren't naive, sir, you're just stupid. Feel free to report me for calling you that, but there's a not a better word in the English dictionary to define your thoughts on the matter.

I don't mind being called stupid by someone that doesn't know me. :hi: I do find Larry Brown to be unethical and the NCAA committee on infractions seems to agree.

I don't mind being called stupid by someone that doesn't know me. :hi: I do find Larry Brown to be unethical and the NCAA committee on infractions seems to agree.

Doesn't change the fact that hiring Ed Manning, while mainly done as a legal move to get Danny Manning, was a calculated move that provided more dividends than just landing Danny Manning. And again, it was perfectly legal, and it still is today.

Doesn't change the fact that hiring Ed Manning, while mainly done as a legal move to get Danny Manning, was a calculated move that provided more dividends than just landing Danny Manning. And again, it was perfectly legal, and it still is today.

My first post on the matter began with me saying that it was legal and a common practice (John Calipari hiring Milt Wagner at Memphis to land his son is another example). As far as dividends go, Danny Manning's play on the court was the only one that mattered and he put that team on his back in the '88 tournament.

VN Store

Back