Monday Press conference (merged)

ohh I'm not saying you did .so many keep asking "tell us what you would have done" hell I want to know what the man in charge is going to do different.you know sometimes "what we are doing works" and the L's keep coming isn't working anymore

I think I have reached the conclusion nothing is going to work with this young of an offensive line. We are getting whipped up front and until that stops nothing we run will work.

I hope they get better before seasons end but until they do opposing teams are going to pick on our weakness.

Reactions: 1 person
After thinking about it for 48 hours, I'm wondering how much the spectacle that was Tennessee football played a role. A veteran squad playing would've had an okay time, probably enjoyed all the hoop-lah. But for some of the younger guys, the stage may have just been too big. The game had enough hype on it's own. Add to that the 300+ VFL's, all the recruits, Checkerboard Neyland, Lil Jon, etc. Just a lot riding on this one game.

Reactions: 2 people
After thinking about it for 48 hours, I'm wondering how much the spectacle that was Tennessee football played a role. A veteran squad playing would've had an okay time, probably enjoyed all the hoop-lah. But for some of the younger guys, the stage may have just been too big. The game had enough hype on it's own. Add to that the 300+ VFL's, all the recruits, Checkerboard Neyland, Lil Jon, etc. Just a lot riding on this one game.

Almost always favors the team riding the emotion. Youth did not lose this game. Player development (OL) and play calling did.

Can't blame that on the crowd, or freshmen.

I think I have reached the conclusion nothing is going to work with this young of an offensive line. We are getting whipped up front and until that stops nothing we run will work.

I hope they get better before seasons end but until they do opposing teams are going to pick on our weakness.

They re not gonna have much success against Bama or Ole Miss. The rest of the schedule is manageable IMO. We ll see if they can get something figured out by then. I have my questions.

same here. But in the Georgia game we had a brilliant mix of formations ,and play calling.that's why I don't understand the Florida game plan.This game was 1 surprise play ,1 small anything away from being a win

Just FYI, here's a side by side comparison of Butch -vs- Dooley to this point:

- In 2010, Dooley's first year, UT was 6-6 (6-7 with the bowl loss), and 3-5 in the SEC.
- Butch was 5-7 and 2-6.

- In 2011, Dooley went 5-7, and 1-7. Through the first 5 games, UT was 3-2 and 0-2.
- In 2013, through 5 games, Butch is 2-3, and 0-2.

- Dooley finished 2011 at 5-7 and 1-7.
- Butch's 2013 chapter is still being written. Most of us would sell our souls for 6-6 at this point.

For the record, I think Butch was a good hire. I think he might be "the guy" to return UT to SEC and national relevance. I am beyond impressed with the talent he has recruited. I know it takes time. I believe he gets 3 years to prove himself. I hope he answers all of his critics, me included.

But to this point, his results don't really separate him from Derek Dooley.

That bothers me.

Wtf?
Dooley vs fla all the fans left before the 4th quarter.
Butch has us on the edge with the kids fighting for him and his recruits says "hold on, we're coming."
Sure we're playing a crap load of Freshmen and we lost 2 against rivals by a total of 4 points, but this is going to pay off in a big way. I love the fight this team has. It's sad that our posters are more worthy of a Dooley led team.

Reactions: 7 people
I think Scott will be a big part of the solution. I hate saying it but Hurd is not very good in space it takes him too long to get chuggin. We need a scat back who has explosion in the worst way. I thought Devrin Young was gonna do that last week but of course once it worked they stopped doing it.

Every team in the country makes hay with scatbacks like Young--yet we don't use the guy. We should have gotten him some touches.

I said before the game I liked the idea of the pressure that would be applied by expectations being a W as opposed to just playing well and competing.
I wished they (staff included) would have handled it better but it didnt happen. Success in that outing was defined by a W.

Just FYI, here's a side by side comparison of Butch -vs- Dooley to this point:

- In 2010, Dooley's first year, UT was 6-6 (6-7 with the bowl loss), and 3-5 in the SEC.
- Butch was 5-7 and 2-6.

- In 2011, Dooley went 5-7, and 1-7. Through the first 5 games, UT was 3-2 and 0-2.
- In 2013, through 5 games, Butch is 2-3, and 0-2.

- Dooley finished 2011 at 5-7 and 1-7.
- Butch's 2013 chapter is still being written. Most of us would sell our souls for 6-6 at this point.

For the record, I think Butch was a good hire. I think he might be "the guy" to return UT to SEC and national relevance. I am beyond impressed with the talent he has recruited. I know it takes time. I believe he gets 3 years to prove himself. I hope he answers all of his critics, me included.

But to this point, his results don't really separate him from Derek Dooley.

That bothers me.

I'm a Jones fan too but it should worry anyone that isn't whistling past the graveyard.

same here. But in the Georgia game we had a brilliant mix of formations ,and play calling.that's why I don't understand the Florida game plan.This game was 1 surprise play ,1 small anything away from being a win

He had a great plan for the GA game. He got away from it through the middle of the game and found it again later but it was too late. Saturday we looked disfunctional and never really looked like we were trying to establish anything in particular.

Wtf?
Dooley vs fla all the fans left before the 4th quarter.
Butch has us on the edge with the kids fighting for him and his recruits says "hold on, we're coming."
Sure we're playing a crap load of Freshmen and we lost 2 against rivals by a total of 4 points, but this is going to pay off in a big way. I love the fight this team has. It's sad that our posters are more worthy of a Dooley led team.

I said...I assume you read my entire post...that I think (a) Butch was a good hire, and (b) I think he might be "the guy" to lead UT back to the top.

I also believe that better play calling would have us at 4-1, as opposed to 2-3.

Are we showing signs of being really good in the future? Yes. Absolutely.

But right now, we left two wins in the "L" column. (Edit: The Florida game for sure. I'm actually impressed with how we fought back against UGA. Still, that end zone fumble cost us a win.)

Like I said...that bothers me.

As it should.

Last edited:
I said...I assume you read my entire post...that I think (a) Butch was a good hire, and (b) I think he might be "the guy" to lead UT back to the top.

I also believe that better play calling would have us at 4-1, as opposed to 2-3.

Are we showing signs of being really good in the future? Yes. Absolutely.

But right now, we left two wins in the "L" column. (Edit: The Florida game for sure. I'm actually impressed with how we fought back against UGA. Still, that end zone fumble cost us a win.)

Like I said...that bothers me.

As it should.
I was very happy to be a Vol after..yes after the Georgia game. Not sure what the heck happened at home against the lizards

Comments like these just blow his credibility. Nobody thinks the O-line is doing a decent job and few would give Mahoney props. O-line is one of the worst in the country and Worley is the sack king because of them. Why not admit the problem and outline steps for improvement? No quick fix, but gotta do something.

Oline doing fairly decent job

Still believes in the them

Mahoney doing a great job

Mahoney doing a great job? Ok, its not like he doesn't have a big challenge and all, but I read a month ago where Butch is taking over oversight into OL recruiting following Richmond's commitment to Ole Miss. We've lost a bit in terms of OL recruiting lately it seems....it can happen, but Butch injecting himself? If so then HE thinks there is a problem, no? wonder if this may also translate onto the field....IDK.

Help Wanted: Tennessee Offensive Line Recruiting - Rocky Top Talk

Last edited:
Whatever happens, i just hope this was a learning experience for Butch and Mike. I just refuse to believe that they don't see the issues with the offense and aren't figuring out the best ways to combat it.

Reactions: 3 people
i agree, but this is not a veteran line..mistakes happen often..as it has..when they miss an a d-line comes in un protested and with 3 blitzers where does he run to..where does he pass to?...2 guy going straight up the field?..lol

They often would bring the heat from his blind side -- that should not be unexpected, so occasionally roll out to the other side, one would think. I am pretty sure they were not blitzing 3 and also covering all our receivers.

THIS!!! I would sell my soul to have the answer to this question. What was different between the Georgia game and the Florida game? We walked into Athens like we owned the place and had a beautiful offense, even with the offensive line being the pile of s*** it always it. What was different? This Florida game reminded me a lot of the Vanderbilt game last year. We came out at home as a scared team against an equal opponent and just f***ed it up. I can't wait for Freak to post the offense play-by-play, so we can look side by side of Florida and Georgia

Here's my free advice for Bajakian. Take 20 plays and run them in practice until the offense is absolutely perfect at running them. During a game once you find something that works run it until they stop you. In other words during the 4th quarter when we are smashing Florida in the mouth running the ball don't have Worley throw on 2nd down and fairly short knowing that there is a 50% chance he will be sacked and completely kill the drive. All we probably needed was one more field goal to put the game away with the way our defense was playing. It's college football quit over thinking it.

Last edited:
THIS!!! I would sell my soul to have the answer to this question. What was different between the Georgia game and the Florida game? We walked into Athens like we owned the place and had a beautiful offense, even with the offensive line being the pile of s*** it always it. What was different? This Florida game reminded me a lot of the Vanderbilt game last year. We came out at home as a scared team against an equal opponent and just f***ed it up. I can't wait for Freak to post the offense play-by-play, so we can look side by side of Florida and Georgia
Swain, I believe was talking about that. Something about us being able to throw over UGs safeties.

What I wanted to hear

"Put it on me, I'm the head coach"

"I won't make excuses"

Thanks Butch

What you do hear:

Excuse, excuse, coach speak, deflect attention by telling media they aren't calling his offense by the proper name, process, growing, wahhh, all is well, $2,500.00 cash back on a Honda, more car salesman speak, thanks for coming.

I just basically have you every Butch Jones press conference.

Saves you time in the future.

After ole miss, after bama, after USCe, after Mizzou, after Kentucky.

You mean the same coach that couldn't move the ball at all with USC which led to his firing....

hating on Lame Kitten is okay.....but you cannot deny that he took a mediocre OL with 2 260lb walk-ons and produced an SEC RB who ran for over 1300 yds......by making them be very physical and tough...

That's the difference....this offensive scheme is NOT based on power or toughness, but finesse and tempo....

I think it was Gary Danielson who said that UT chose finesse over POWER when we hired CBJ.....

Don't get me wrong.....I think CBJ is THE GUY...I REALLY DO....I do, however, believe that to win championships he will HAVE TO CHANGE his offensive scheme, or at least make it look more like the Philadelphia Eagles....in stead of the Cin. Bearcats....

...:salute:

Last edited:
hating on Lame Kitten is okay.....but you cannot deny that he took a mediocre OL with 2 260lb walk-ons and produced an SEC RB who ran for over 1300 yds......by making them be very physical and tough...

That's the difference....this offensive scheme is NOT based on power or toughness, but finesse and tempo....

I think it was Gary Danielson who said that UT chose finesse over POWER when we hired CBJ.....

Don't get me wrong.....I think CBJ is THE GUY...I REALLY DO....I do, however, believe that to win championships he will HAVE TO CHANGE his offensive scheme, or at least make it look more like the Philadelphia Eagles....in stead of the Cin. Bearcats....

...:salute:

Mike I have to agree all of theses style offense that have been successful in the SEC have had one thing in common and that is they all had a explosive playmaker.

I to believe that Butch is the man but I think he is going to have to rethink his offense philosophy to include some more power run plays.

VN Store

Back