Monday Press conference (merged)

you know--I love bUTch Jones....but this presser is the first time I hear some straight up BS from him....There is NO WAY that this team should have lost to Fla...NONE! Face it--these offensive coaches laid a turd on the field in preparation just like last year's Vandy game plan....

Are these 5 OL not the same group that played at OK, at UGA? And I watched BOTH of those games twice....

The fact is--there was no CONSISTENCY from Bajakian during the game....winning one on one matchups?? Well, we had 2 freakin TEs in the game and NEVER gave them a chance to beat a LB or a S down the seam, or dragging them across the LB's face--or even having them cross over in front of the LBs....NOT ONE BALL was thrown to them DOWN THE SEAM OR DOWN THE MIDDLE of the field behind the LBs!!

Also--NOT ONE pass thrown down the field to a 6'5" Jason Croom against Fla's smaller DBs...Not even an attempt to give our guys a chance to make an athletic play...Just what in the blue thunder would've been wrong with throwing a FADE to Croom when we had that turnover to begin the 2nd half...2 steps, turn, and throw the ball to the dang back corner pylon and tell the 6'5" to either sell out and go get it or die trying!!!!!!!!!!!

He's right--we lost the one on one matchup that mattered more than all others--between our OC and their DC...

Flame me if you want--I don't want anyone fired.....but instead of trying to split frog hairs about whether it's a "gap" scheme or "read" option--and he's right--it ain't a read OPTION when EVERYONE in the entire freaking stadium knows that our QB is NOT going to run the ball...

Just for the record....gap scheme is to load up and double team a guy and drive him out of the hole where you want to run the ball.....read option usually leaves that same guy UNBLOCKED and reacts AND does the OPPOSITE of whatever the unblocked guy does....

To see how it is PROPERLY DONE--please go to youtube and watch a bunch of Malzahn videos on a correct way to hELP OL get angles and gain advantages on superior DL!!

We could not have done worse to leave some of those guys unblocked and optioned them.....

Also--just why in the crap didn't we run any misdirection and reverses in this game? Does this OC who is running a GAP scheme running game NOT realize that a bootleg is one of the greatest plays to RUN in that type of a scheme to take advantage of a physical and aggressive Defense??

I could go on, but I know you guys are already sick of me....just as sick as I am when listening to parts of this presser....

Flame away...but I'm still and ALWAYS WILL be a VOLFAN!!!

But the OC needs to take a hard look at himself...and so does Butch....because as he says...."show me your habits and I'll show you your life" Well, in 2 of the last 4 SEC games played and planned by this OC....a turd was laid! Is that a habit yet??

GO VOLS! :salute:

TE's are almost forced to stay in and help block because the offensive line is so weak and Croom made a nice play last week. But, his overall record in his couple seasons has been a little disappointing, for me at least. I wouldn't blame the coaching staff if they didn't trust him to go get the ball in the air. They gave him that shot in Norman and a smaller CB ripped the ball from him. Also, Malzahn inherited personnel that won a national championship two years prior, can't compare the two situations, in my book. But, maybe I'm wrong.

The best thing that happened today was Butch got to see the fans and media alike are not real sure what the hell we was doing on offense lol

Reactions: 1 person
as i said in another post worley cant watch 7 guys when his o-line cant block if a pass play is called he is looking at blitzers from 4 guys, he has to deal with 7 or 8 guys because our o-line, not so good at expressing my point at this moment..i hope you get my meaning.

I gotcha.

Mine point was posted above in a response to nagle.

In short the coaches should have enough football IQ to realize the play call was a risk given our season long issues in protection. Your D is playing well and the only chance UF has is a short field. Punt the ball and play to your strength.

I agree we had the game in hand and Florida was never going to drive the length of the field on us.

It just really bothers me that the OC is taking a lot of heat over the game when the QB is making obvious mistakes that I know he is not coached to make. I think it is fair though to say that the OC should not have put him in the position to make the mistake and after 2 season should know the limitations of his QB. I like the fact that we were aggressive in that situation but as I said earlier in this instance it cost us a victory.

It's going to be a lot of coach speak. Period.

I don't think Butch is afraid to make staff changes though if someone isn't getting their job done. It won't happen during the season though.

Exactly. Come on. He's not going to throw his boys under the bus. He's still got a lot of games to be played.
Trying to keep these boys together to finish is going to be a challenge in itself. You betch'ya. :yes: :banghead2:
No, it won't happen, if, at all, this year. :search::shades:

GO VOLS!

as i said in another post worley cant watch 7 guys when his o-line cant block if a pass play is called he is looking at blitzers from 4 guys, he has to deal with 7 or 8 guys because our o-line, not so good at expressing my point at this moment..i hope you get my meaning.

While I agree Worley is under constant pressure but as senior QB he has to be able to pick up a blitz coming at him from the front side and know what to do. In the same breath I would say the o-line should be able to pick up the blitz and protect him.

TE's are almost forced to stay in and help block because the offensive line is so weak and Croom made a nice play last week. But, his overall record in his couple seasons has been a little disappointing, for me at least. I wouldn't blame the coaching staff if they didn't trust him to go get the ball in the air. They gave him that shot in Norman and a smaller CB ripped the ball from him. Also, Malzahn inherited personnel that won a national championship two years prior, can't compare the two situations, in my book. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Well, I see what you're saying--and you are correct about Auburn--but,

1. Croom got it together against UGA...some confidence, some plays made....AT LEAST give him the freakin chance to make the play!!!

2. I understand about our inexperience on the OL as compared to AU--but it's the BLOCKING SCHEME OF THE OL that I am talking about....that's why you run counter gaps and traps--to give these younger guys ANGLES of attack to gain an advantage when trying to block older, more developed DL....

3. TEs can "chip" the DE on their release into their patterns to slow down the pass rush....or just knock the ever-loving sh.. out of the DE and then back out into the flare pattern...where our TE could defeat their OLB in that matchup---

And, Butch said in the presser that they attempted to use 85 as a H-back.....I NEVER saw him go in motion or lead ANY BACK THROUGH A HOLE during the Fla game as a FB.....It's just non-existent....

I'll hang up now....not trying to be hostile to you as you make some very good and valid points....but I was talking overall SCHEME OF ATTACK instead of personnel....

GO VOLS! :salute:

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not going to defend the coaches regardless. But you're criticizing the play calling while offering no solution. "Whatever it takes to win"? That's awfully vague. And good question, I would agree that Devrin is under-utilized.

That is point exactly they say the play calling sucks but offer no real examples and no real answers.

While I agree Worley is under constant pressure but as senior QB he has to be able to pick up a blitz coming at him from the front side and know what to do. In the same breath I would say the o-line should be able to pick up the blitz and protect him.

i agree, but this is not a veteran line..mistakes happen often..as it has..when they miss an a d-line comes in un protested and with 3 blitzers where does he run to..where does he pass to?...2 guy going straight up the field?..lol

I agree we had the game in hand and Florida was never going to drive the length of the field on us.

It just really bothers me that the OC is taking a lot of heat over the game when the QB is making obvious mistakes that I know he is not coached to make. I think it is fair though to say that the OC should not have put him in the position to make the mistake and after 2 season should know the limitations of his QB. I like the fact that we were aggressive in that situation but as I said earlier in this instance it cost us a victory.

Worley didnt play very well and that was obvious to see. He didnt get much help in some spots either.

Im more worried about the staff not understanding that particular situation of the game. Some times 3 runs and a punt wins. Its not dynamic or explosive but we can worry about when he have an OL. Right now its about winning however it looks.

When Butch has a Monday presser where UT won despite being a 7+ point dog...that's when I'll listen to what he has to say. Florida did not win that game. UT lost it.

If I want lame excuses, I just watch anything coming out of the White House...

Reactions: 2 people
That is point exactly they say the play calling sucks but offer no real examples and no real answers.
I'm not a coach.I'm just a fan that criticized the play calling and have been labeled not a true fan. You guys have let the man crush thing go way to far.when fans can't question or ***** about anything without being labeled

Reactions: 2 people

Here's an example....I would have STARTED the game with that flare pass that DEVRIN caught and ran for 20 yds...except I would have used Hurd to catch it and run.....Neyland would've exploded.....

And just what happened when we started throwing the ball down the field??? We moved 30 yds in a few plays before the QB made a bad pass.....

Those plays were available ALL GAME...just check it out when Bama played Fla and KY played Fla...

I would've also come out with an EMPTY BACKFIELD AND 5 WIDES to find the appropriate weak sister in the Fla DBs--since it was obvious that our OC didn't study the film to KNOW who that was before the game...(sorry, sarcasm!!!)

Bama did that and scored a TD on the first play....are you telling me that 4 WRs and Hurd spread out wide would not have been possible??? Is that too hard of a play to put in in 5 days of preparation before arguably the biggest SEC game in the EASTERN division for the VOLS???

:salute:

We will continue to lose games until the OC starts putting our players in the best position to succeed. It's really that simple. I witnessed it first hand on Saturday and I still can not believe we lost after dominating UF for 3 quarters. My mom, who literally knows nothing about football, questioned some of the play calls Saturday. It really wasn't that hard to see

Worley didnt play very well and that was obvious to see. He didnt get much help in some spots either.

Im more worried about the staff not understanding that particular situation of the game. Some times 3 runs and a punt wins. Its not dynamic or explosive but we can worry about when he have an OL. Right now its about winning however it looks.

I am not sold on this offense at all at this point and am not sure it will work in the SEC even when Butch has all of his personnel in place but only time will answer that question. At this point last season I thought he was going to have to make a change on the defensive side of the ball and I am glad he did not now so I am going to try and be patient and hope for the best.

By the way I really do not like throwing players under the bus the way I did Worley but was just trying to make a point he made mistakes that I know they do not coach him to make.

I'm not a coach.I'm just a fan that criticized the play calling and have been labeled not a true fan. You guys have let the man crush thing go way to far.when fans can't question or ***** about anything without being labeled

lol, your a long time member dont blame other users...blame your self for not standing up to the new comers

i agree, but this is not a veteran line..mistakes happen often..as it has..when they miss an a d-line comes in un protested and with 3 blitzers where does he run to..where does he pass to?...2 guy going straight up the field?..lol

After 5 games its obvious that when there is a blitz (even sometimes when there isnt) somebody is getting through.

On occasion Worley has had chances to read it and get off of it before the bad play happens. Other times its just getting whipped and he doesnt have a chance.

lol, your a long time member dont blame other users...blame your self for not standing up to the new comers
well I promise I've had a few e-mails from freak over the years even tried to meet up with a few of those Dooley loving cowards that talked a big game and carried a tiny sack

I, for one, did not call you "not a true fan". Just presenting my viewpoints. Sorry for the miscommunication.

I am not sold on this offense at all at this point and am not sure it will work in the SEC even when Butch has all of his personnel in place but only time will answer that question. At this point last season I thought he was going to have to make a change on the defensive side of the ball and I am glad he did not now so I am going to try and be patient and hope for the best.

By the way I really do not like throwing players under the bus the way I did Worley but was just trying to make a point he made mistakes that I know they do not coach him to make.

Oh, I know. Sometimes its on Worley to see it. Sometimes he doesnt have a chance either way.

Im not opposed to the general idea of the offense. I think they have some schematic issues that are magnifying weaknesses right now. Some of it is simple changes that dont require scrapping the offense. Some of it is personnel. The elite coaches mask deficiencies and play to strengths.

Here's an example....I would have STARTED the game with that flare pass that DEVRIN caught and ran for 20 yds...except I would have used Hurd to catch it and run.....Neyland would've exploded.....

And just what happened when we started throwing the ball down the field??? We moved 30 yds in a few plays before the QB made a bad pass.....

Those plays were available ALL GAME...just check it out when Bama played Fla and KY played Fla...

I would've also come out with an EMPTY BACKFIELD AND 5 WIDES to find the appropriate weak sister in the Fla DBs--since it was obvious that our OC didn't study the film to KNOW who that was before the game...(sorry, sarcasm!!!)

Bama did that and scored a TD on the first play....are you telling me that 4 WRs and Hurd spread out wide would not have been possible??? Is that too hard of a play to put in in 5 days of preparation before arguably the biggest SEC game in the EASTERN division for the VOLS???

:salute:

I can appreciate it when legitimate concerns are raised and I know you know football.

I want to know where are the wheel routes with Devrin or Hurd. Do they not fit in this offense?

When we are in the red zone why not throw the corner fade and give Croom or North a shot?

Where was Scott on Saturday would he not have been a nice change of pace?

These are issues that can be discussed unlike "the play calling sucks fire the OC".

I, for one, did not call you "not a true fan". Just presenting my viewpoints. Sorry for the miscommunication.
ohh I'm not saying you did .so many keep asking "tell us what you would have done" hell I want to know what the man in charge is going to do different.you know sometimes "what we are doing works" and the L's keep coming isn't working anymore

Last edited:
I kind of chuckled when the last question was the field goal after the play clock hit zero. When the reporter asked if there was dialogue, and Butch just said "yes", and then the reporter asked if there was a response and Butch said "not yet, but there was dialogue". I would have loved to have read that email, letter or however there was dialogue. I bet it was a doozy.

Just FYI, here's a side by side comparison of Butch -vs- Dooley to this point:

- In 2010, Dooley's first year, UT was 6-6 (6-7 with the bowl loss), and 3-5 in the SEC.
- Butch was 5-7 and 2-6.

- In 2011, Dooley went 5-7, and 1-7. Through the first 5 games, UT was 3-2 and 0-2.
- In 2013, through 5 games, Butch is 2-3, and 0-2.

- Dooley finished 2011 at 5-7 and 1-7.
- Butch's 2013 chapter is still being written. Most of us would sell our souls for 6-6 at this point.

For the record, I think Butch was a good hire. I think he might be "the guy" to return UT to SEC and national relevance. I am beyond impressed with the talent he has recruited. I know it takes time. I believe he gets 3 years to prove himself. I hope he answers all of his critics, me included.

But to this point, his results don't really separate him from Derek Dooley.

That bothers me.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back