MLB Game Thread

Pujols hit his 537th career home run on Thursday night, pushing him past Mantle into 16th place on the all-time list. Since the start of this season, Pujols has passed Ted Williams, Willie McCovey, Frank Thomas, Jimmie Foxx and Mantle. Next up is Mike Schmidt with 548.

Félix Hernández's start Friday was 13th time in Live Ball Era (since 1920) that a starter allowed 8+ ER while getting 1 out or fewer.

Miguel Cabrera is 1 of 2 players with at least 30 HR and a .350 BA against the Indians. The other is Babe Ruth.

Max Scherzer is the 5th pitcher in the modern era to throw a shutout with 16 K's and 1 hit or fewer, and first since 2010 (Brandon Morrow).

Reactions: 1 person
The Royals Chris Young went 2-3 with 3 RBIs on Tuesday while pitching 7 innings and allowing 0 runs. Young is the first AL pitcher with 3 RBIs in a game since Felix Hernandez hit a grand slam on June 23, 2008, and just the second in the DH era with two hits and 3 RBIs (Mike Mussina in 1999).

Correa after 10 games... on pace for 49 home runs, 112 rbis, 112 runs over the course of a full 162 game season with a batting average of .349.

No way he keeps this up(or at least that's what I'm gonna keep telling myself) but good to see him come out strong as the youngest player in the majors currently. I fully expect him to come back down to earth and pitchers to start getting better scouting reports on him. But damn, I'd take batting .300 with 25 home runs and a good defensive shortstop any day of the week. If he wants to bat .50 points higher than .300 and double the amount of 25 home runs, I'll take Correa's version of being down to earth. Dude has been sick so far.

CH4YaZrXAAAUvPh.jpg

Hit 20 HR in 14 of First 15 Seasons

Albert Pujols (20th tonight)
Chipper Jones
Frank Robinson
Hank Aaron
Eddie Mathews
Willie Mays

Most days between 2,500 & 3,000 hits, since 1920:

A-Rod: 2,116
Al Kaline: 1,572
Rickey Henderson: 1,555
Paul Waner: 1,477
Lou Brock: 1,465

Yankee Stadium was also the site of Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit in 2011. The only other ballpark in which two players recorded their 3,000th major league hit in front of the home crowd is Cleveland's League Park, which was the site of the 3,000th hit for both Nap Lajoie (1914) and Tris Speaker (1925).

Strange But True: With walk-off HR Sunday, Gordon Beckham has walk-off hits on Father's Day & Mother's Day this year.

Crazy Stat of Day: Albert Pujols 15 HR since May 28th are more than the Braves (14), Mariners (14), and Indians (13).

Prince Fielder is sitting at 299 HRs. With his next HR, he will join his father, Cecil, in the 300 HR club, and the two will become just the second father-son duo in MLB history to each hit 300 HRs, joining Bobby and Barry Bonds (332, 762).

Today's ARI-COL game has the 1st De La Rosa-De La Rosa SP matchup in MLB history.

Most common: Smith-Smith - 21 times

Sigh, Astros pull their rookie pitcher that was pitching a shutout into the 7th after he gave up 2 hits in the 7th inning. Bad move seeing as the pitcher that just entered the game gave up 3 run blast. F my life. Damn Jankees up 3-2 now.

Dodgers SP Clayton Kershaw has lost 3 consecutive games for the first time in his career. He made 225 starts before dropping 3 straight; only three other pitchers can say the same -- Mike Mussina, Jim Palmer and Whitey Ford.

Cody Anderson: 3rd pitcher in last 40 yrs to face same team in first 2 career starts & allow 0 or 1 runs in 7+ IP in both starts.

Joc Pederson joins Albert Pujols as the only rookies with 20 HR before the All-Star break in National League history.

VN Store

Back