Misused Data? ::: How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions

Wanting to use their talents for what they consider good and not wanting to use their talents for what they consider bad is sort of an admirable quality.

Sure, but that's not what's happening.

The guy that "blew the whistle" on Cambridge Analytica's actions is the guy that developed the program for them, and was perfectly fine with their actions because he's the one that wanted the facebook data.

It appears he only had a problem with what was happening after he decided he didn't want it to benefit republican candidates.

Mr. Wylie’s team had a bigger problem. Building psychographic profiles on a national scale required data the company could not gather without huge expense. Traditional analytics firms used voting records and consumer purchase histories to try to predict political beliefs and voting behavior.

Mr. Wylie found a solution at Cambridge University’s Psychometrics Centre. Researchers there had developed a technique to map personality traits based on what people had liked on Facebook.

When the Psychometrics Centre declined to work with the firm, Mr. Wylie found someone who would: Dr. Kogan, who was then a psychology professor at the university and knew of the techniques. Dr. Kogan built his own app and in June 2014 began harvesting data for Cambridge Analytica.

He ultimately provided over 50 million raw profiles to the firm, Mr. Wylie said, a number confirmed by a company email and a former colleague. Of those, roughly 30 million — a number previously reported by The Intercept — contained enough information, including places of residence, that the company could match users to other records and build psychographic profiles. Only about 270,000 users — those who participated in the survey — had consented to having their data harvested.

Mr. Wylie said the Facebook data was “the saving grace” that let his team deliver the models it had promised the Mercers.

“We wanted as much as we could get,” he acknowledged. “Where it came from, who said we could have it — we weren’t really asking.”

By early 2015, Mr. Wylie and more than half his original team of about a dozen people had left the company. Most were liberal-leaning, and had grown disenchanted with working on behalf of the hard-right candidates the Mercer family favored.

Last edited:
Anything on Facebook is:
1) subject to hack and sale - you don't want it known, don't put it on social media
2) Public information - you don't want it known, don't put it on social media.

Pretty simple really.

Yep, I've said repeatedly - and more than that to my wife - that while you are posting all those great vacation pictures, you are advertising your vacant house and no one around to keep tabs on things. You put information out, and there is always someone there to exploit it. Always.

At least one garage door company has a wireless unit that connects your garage door through a router to a service they maintain so that you can open, close, or check the status of your door with your phone. The thing is that someone else can hack their service and do the same things with your door. If electric utilities can shut off or reroute power, then so can someone else. Yet we refer to it as a "smart grid".

It's weird that the whole approach to cyber-security remains so casual when new exploits happen daily. Anyone with security training has had it drilled into his head nonstop that security starts with you, but somehow with most people every day is a new day with no lessons learned.

Ding ding ding.

That is why FB is receiving flak for this...because one of the entities involved is connected to Republican politics.

Which also pokes a hole in a right-wing narrative (equal opportunity criticizer here). I thought FB and social media companies generally sought to censor conservative thought. If so, why was Cambridge Analytica allowed to create these programs for FB?

It does appear that CA duped FB a bit. That said, FB has known about it for quite a while (since 2015 I believe) and did nothing hoping it wouldn't come to light.

Amen. I haven't been on Facebook for 2 years now and my life has improved significantly.

I firmly believe social media is responsible for the growing polarization of this country.

What about message boards?

This should be a wake-up call for everyone using social media.

Honestly if you didn't know that your FB data was subject to this you shouldn't have been using FB.

Anyone who's taken one of those dumb "what color represents my personality" type quizzes checked the little box saying the app could access all your Friends list. Anyone who opened one and saw that and decided not to share should realize that unless none of your friends took the quiz your info was still in the pool.

So if the data was sold a a liberal political operation, you'd be OK with it? I think his point is that people appear to be getting upset not that the data was sold (didn't everyone know this already?), but who it was sold to.

Either way, based on my understanding of the agreements between Facebook and Cambridge Analytica and Facebook and their users, I'm not sure anything illegal even occurred. Do people still not know that this is Facebook's M.O.? Think about it...it doesn't cost any money out of your pocket to use Facebook. How do you think they are making money? If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product.

Speaking of Campbrige Analytics, don’t know this author or site, but it’s an interesting viewpoint

Cambridge Analytica: SCL, The Heart of the British Establishment: Christopher Steele's Inside Accomplices? | LaRouchePAC

It does appear that CA duped FB a bit. That said, FB has known about it for quite a while (since 2015 I believe) and did nothing hoping it wouldn't come to light.

How so? FB allowed CA onto their platform, and didn't it say in their agreement that CA could use the data they obtained for commercial purposes? And any FB user accepts this in the terms of service when they create a FB account? Or am I misunderstanding?

I think people upset about this are upset that the data might have helped Republican campaigns/Donald Trump, not that the data was sold in the first place. That's the main reason why this is even a story to begin with.

How so? FB allowed CA onto their platform, and didn't it say in their agreement that CA could use the data they obtained for commercial purposes? And any FB user accepts this in the terms of service when they create a FB account? Or am I misunderstanding?

I think people upset about this are upset that the data might have helped Republican campaigns/Donald Trump, not that the data was sold in the first place. That's the main reason why this is even a story to begin with.

As I understand it a "researcher" was a middleman between CA and FB. The app was presented as collecting data for research purposes rather than funneling to CA for commercial purposes. So FB was not granting permission to CA to use the data.

Reactions: 1 person
So you’re in favor of having the ability to decide to provide goods or services based on your personal bias?

I support having the freedom to work for a company that you feel most closely shares your values or leaving a company you feel has values that are not in alignment with your own.

I support having the freedom to work for a company that you feel most closely shares your values or leaving a company you feel has values that are not in alignment with your own.

That’s not what you said slappy. You just based it on “using your talents” you didn’t punt the hard decision to the employer.

That’s not what you said slappy. You just based it on “using your talents” you didn’t punt the hard decision to the employer.

Sure I did Spanky, employees have the right to decide were they want to use their talents.

So if the data was sold a a liberal political operation, you'd be OK with it? I think his point is that people appear to be getting upset not that the data was sold (didn't everyone know this already?), but who it was sold to.

Either way, based on my understanding of the agreements between Facebook and Cambridge Analytica and Facebook and their users, I'm not sure anything illegal even occurred. Do people still not know that this is Facebook's M.O.? Think about it...it doesn't cost any money out of your pocket to use Facebook. How do you think they are making money? If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product.

I may reprint this for my slogan wall.

So you’re in favor of having the ability to decide to provide goods or services based on your personal bias?

Sure I did Spanky, employees have the right to decide were they want to use their talents.

Nope. You’re back tracking your statement which I correctly summarized. You never qualified it by employment.

For those of you wanting a recap.....which would be no one, here you go.

My first statement should have been included.

Again, that's not what is happening here.

His "talents" are what has been deemed bad. Using facebook information for political purposes. He didn't decide it was bad till it benefited an opposing political view. Only then did he decide the actions he took was bad and somehow the other guy is at fault.

This is like a contract hitman being hired by the mafia. Then when he realizes the person he killed hurts him somehow, he goes to the police and says "the mafia killed that guy."

Last edited:
That is the post I initially quoted. “Wanting to use their talents” /= “ working for the man” which is how you deflected. You got caught in your own contradiction! Again!

Are you insane? Where is the "working for the man" quote coming from. It's becoming increasingly clear how you guys can be so consistently wrong and misinformed.

Are you insane? Where is the "working from the man" quote coming from. It's becoming increasingly clear how you guys can be so consistently wrong and misinformed.

Oh ffs. You’re just obfuscating because you got caught in a contradiction again and won’t acknowledge it. Forget it I’ve made my point.

Nice to know why many liberal arts graduates are waiting tables and working behind cash registers; we just thought it was poor educational planning.

As I understand it a "researcher" was a middleman between CA and FB. The app was presented as collecting data for research purposes rather than funneling to CA for commercial purposes. So FB was not granting permission to CA to use the data.

OK, so the use for commercial purposes part might have been without authorization (because FB was duped).

But the mere collection of it by FB, or the app developer, was known to the users, or they should have known about it. The users consented to the harvesting of their data. They might not have known it was sold to someone else, but what do you expect? Do you think they wanted to collect that data just for the hell of it? It seemed like everything these guys were doing, with the potential exception of selling it, didn't violate any of FB's policies, which their users agree to before creating an account.

I guess it is a good thing that people are finally waking up to the fact that FB is doing stuff they might not like with their data, but it shows you how dumb they are if they are just finding out about it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back