Misused Data? ::: How Trump Consultants Exploited the Facebook Data of Millions

This is so old by now. Who cares? Trump is president and will be until the end of his term. The economy is the best it has ever been and people still want to complain. Shew, them pesky people wanting there handouts just won’t go away.

They can't believe they lost the election, everything was rigged for the coronation of the queen! The Russian thing helps them cope.:eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
I stalk my old girlfriends through my wife's fb account.

tenor.gif

The only thing that surprises me about this is that people are surprised it happens.

Not only are they surprised it happens, but I'm not convinced CA or FB actually did anything improper. Were any terms of service violated? CA was allowed on FB to operate the app, and CA was allowed to use the data for commercial purposes (in other words, sell it).

People might be mad about it now after the fact, and perhaps rightly so, but you effectively agree to it when you use FB or any of the apps on there.

Not only are they surprised it happens, but I'm not convinced CA or FB actually did anything improper. Were any terms of service violated? CA was allowed on FB to operate the app, and CA was allowed to use the data for commercial purposes (in other words, sell it).

People might be mad about it now after the fact, and perhaps rightly so, but you effectively agree to it when you use FB or any of the apps on there.

I believe in the UK the privacy laws are such that they may have committed a crime there.

I find it funny how people are all chapped about this because TRUMP! RUSSIA! when the reality is this has been going for years to sell people all sorts of crap and has been used in politics before.

Facebook is handling it horribly, the public is full of it's usual selective outrage - nothing new.

Not a Trump fan.

But our media is pathetic.

So Facebook does what Facebook does, and since someone found a way for it to benefit Trump....it is a SCANDAL?

This is pathetic. This is what Facebook does.

I believe in the UK the privacy laws are such that they may have committed a crime there.

I find it funny how people are all chapped about this because TRUMP! RUSSIA! when the reality is this has been going for years to sell people all sorts of crap and has been used in politics before.

Facebook is handling it horribly, the public is full of it's usual selective outrage - nothing new.

Ding ding ding.

That is why FB is receiving flak for this...because one of the entities involved is connected to Republican politics.

Which also pokes a hole in a right-wing narrative (equal opportunity criticizer here). I thought FB and social media companies generally sought to censor conservative thought. If so, why was Cambridge Analytica allowed to create these programs for FB?

The usefulness of these data companies in actually being able to deliver on their nefarious claims of affecting election/policy outcomes is finally coming out.

This is a more recent incarnation of y2k insurance.

Anything on Facebook is:
1) subject to hack and sale - you don't want it known, don't put it on social media
2) Public information - you don't want it known, don't put it on social media.

Pretty simple really.

Not a Trump fan.

But our media is pathetic.

So Facebook does what Facebook does, and since someone found a way for it to benefit Trump....it is a SCANDAL?

This is pathetic. This is what Facebook does.

Same with the guys that helped develop the program that Cambridge Analytica is getting flack about....

By early 2015, Mr. Wylie and more than half his original team of about a dozen people had left the company. Most were liberal-leaning, and had grown disenchanted with working on behalf of the hard-right candidates the Mercer family favored.

So they were fine doing all this, until they realized it was going to the benefit of more conservative beliefs.

Same with the guys that helped develop the program that Cambridge Analytica is getting flack about....

So they were fine doing all this, until they realized it was going to the benefit of more conservative beliefs.

Wanting to use their talents for what they consider good and not wanting to use their talents for what they consider bad is sort of an admirable quality.

Exactly.

I keep seeing CNN headlines using words like "scandal."

This nation has no major media outlets that possess credibility.

Again, I am not a Trump guy, but the coverage of this is dishonest at the least and corrupt at worst.

Wanting to use their talents for what they consider good and not wanting to use their talents for what they consider bad is sort of an admirable quality.

So you’re in favor of having the ability to decide to provide goods or services based on your personal bias?

Reactions: 2 people
Getting rid of Facebook right after college continues to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Amen. I haven't been on Facebook for 2 years now and my life has improved significantly.

I firmly believe social media is responsible for the growing polarization of this country.

Raise taxes!

Take more of my money!

Make government bigger

Grow and expand entitlement programs

Screw civil liberties, if it doesn’t negatively effect our identity politics

Bring back ISIS

Open borders, F being a country of laws.

Appoint liberal judges to make up their own rules

Don’t negotiate better trade deals

Don’t force countries to pay their fair share

Tax the rich

Tax companies who take risks and create jobs

Impeach Trump now

I could go on and on with more stupid liberal leftist dreams, ,but I’m fat fingering this crap off on my damn iPhone

Last edited:

So if the data was sold a a liberal political operation, you'd be OK with it? I think his point is that people appear to be getting upset not that the data was sold (didn't everyone know this already?), but who it was sold to.

Either way, based on my understanding of the agreements between Facebook and Cambridge Analytica and Facebook and their users, I'm not sure anything illegal even occurred. Do people still not know that this is Facebook's M.O.? Think about it...it doesn't cost any money out of your pocket to use Facebook. How do you think they are making money? If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back