Milton got hurt in 2021 vs Pitt.. and we lost. What has changed?

His first game of the season, vs Bowling Green: (Note, 2021 Season here)

View attachment 577785

He was average then, and he gets pulled the next game from average play with 8 minutes in the 2nd quarter. He wasn't a world beater against Clemson in the orange bowl (BTW, Clemson is NOT good)... and (Joe) hasn't looked "great" this year.. yea, he can throw and orange 100 yards but that means nothing. Why are we hyping him so much ? I'm not calling for Nico (yet), but Joe isn't the answer here sadly.. and if he's all we got.. We'll have to work for 8 wins this year. Yes, the WR's dropped a lot today.. but something just feels off so far this year.

Thoughts?
That actually encourages me. That’s a completion rate below 50% you just posted. Apparently his bad game now is significantly better than what it was in ‘21.

This covers what I was trying to get at in my original post. Joe has not been a difference maker.. that matters in big games. Again, I'm not saying we bench him for Nico because nobody here knows better then the HC himself if that is the right move, but we're just a above average team with Joe in.

The stats tell the story in each game Joe has played. If fans can't see that I'm sorry..

Agree on most of your points here. Where I would take exception with is the idea that no fan could ever make a relevant argument as to what should be done because we aren’t the head coach. It’s just not true. Head coaches make 1 million decisions throughout the year. They get a lot of them right. But all coaches are going to get some wrong. It would seem that Heupel‘s goal is to just ride or die with Milton. There is no absolute right or wrong because he’s there and we’re not. He is making a strategic decision. Only time will tell if he’s right or wrong. Personally, we’ve got a 60 year player that’s not very good. We have a freak of nature talent as a freshman that is having to just sit and watch terrible quarterback, play.

How does that help Nico long term? He’s getting no reps? How does that help the team? Milton is gone after this year. There is no Heupel is right because he’s the coach and we could never make an intelligent observation.

Personally, I believe he is wrong with his theory here. With Milton playing so poorly, you can’t even get Nico reps against FPS school late in the game… It’s just not helping the program to leave Nico on the bench.

If heupel has one flaw worth criticizing over the course of his time here it almost all relates to Milton. Would you not now agree that Heupel was wrong to essentially roll with Milton, when it seemed as if there was almost no quarterback competition at all? I was criticized on this board for stating after the very first game of the Heupel era that we should be giving multiple quarterbacks “in game” series. Heupel made the decision to go with Milton, even though he hadn’t earned it on the field. Most coaches don’t play it that way. Then, even when Milton was absolutely atrocious, missing wide-open shot after wide-open shot… He never rotated in another quarterback until he was forced to do to injury.

He should have went into the season and said “this guy” will get the first reps, but you have to earn this job based off your “in game” performance and the starting qb job is a long ways from being determined. He should’ve said we will get playing time for at least the top two quarterbacks, and once we get several games into the year the competition will start to work itself out.

On this board people were like “oh if you’re so smart, you should be coach blah blah blah”. Lol. It wasn’t a hard observation to make. Eventually, Milton goes down giving the first rep of the year to another quarterback, and we all know what happened…turns out I was right. Within five offensive plays you could tell Hooker had it. He just had that moxie and swagger.

I also believe heupel is wrong here. He should have been able to recognize what most fans could see in that Milton just doesn’t have it between the ears. He should have encouraged Milton to look around after that first year and gotten another quarterback prepared for life after Hooker. That could have been Tavon Jackson getting a bunch of reps last year with the opportunity to win the job this year. Has anybody watched Tavon Jackson play this year? He plays on another level than Milton.

Anyway…rant over.

Heupel is an amazing offensive strategist, and we will be OK in time. Just wish he would have moved on from Milton. It could almost become like a Pruitt/JG effect where a coach just can’t recognize another player if given the same in game, opportunities would likely produce better results.

Reactions: BoostN

VN Store

Back