Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness - Simon Sinek

Know what Boomers, GenXers and Millennials all have in common? They all have generational labels put on them to explain what they’re about, as if they’re not a bunch of individual people, some of whom are saints, some fools, and most somewhere in between.

Lmao

Like my sister who is 23, has never had a job, and is desperately trying to latch on to a man to take care of her.

Quite the free thinker!

Free-thinker seems to be code for, I made it through some college or I graduated with a liberal arts degree and don't have a job, therefore I have a lot of time to think.

Reactions: 3 people
Free thinking that working 40 hours a week is a pretty stupid concept. 40+ hours of mostly meaningless busy work. Yikes and we wonder why depression is so rampant.

40 hours a week is nothing. Hopefully we avoid a tipping point where enough people decide working 40 hours per week is too much and everything collapses. If that ever happens the free thinkers will learn what real work is all about.

There are strengths and weaknesses to every generation. Millennials have weaknesses and they also have strengths. Sometimes they need a reality check, but the same is true of the old guard.

I worked for a company that had 2 divisions...telecom (VOIP) and web services. The company was run by people that literally did $1b in telecom business in the 80's and 90's (for another company). Despite the fact that web services was bringing in like $50k of profit a month, much of the focus of the business was on telecom, which was not yet profitable. They understood telecom and so they emphasized it over us and we in web services always felt at odds with upper management.

Our culture really started to suffer. I usually listened to people gripe about culture and I either said nothing or stood up for management. To me, culture is an aside. We're here to make money and our working conditions are pretty good, so what's to complain about? But what I didn't get and what management really didn't get is that culture matters because it matters to millennial employees. After 18 months of friction, web services was gone. So many employees had left that clients started leaving too and management was over it all by that point and sold the business.

The lesson here for me and the old guard was "who cares if millennials are 'weak' if they're creating value?"

Reactions: 1 person
I’m not really sure which one I am, so maybe someone can give some insight. I was born in 88, I’ll be 30 in September.

Now, a few personal details...

I own a locksmith business, a trade that is definitely overlooked and rarely suggested as a lucrative profession by teachers, counselors, etc.. Many are surprised when they find out I make 6 figures a year fixing locks. Obviously I work long, long hours. But that’s just part of it, being on call rescuing folks. But I choose to do that so that my family can have a good life.

My wife is just a few months younger than I am. She’s a stay at home mom, which is the point I’m getting to. Our son is so sharp. He was walking at 11 months, throwing a basketball into a child’s goal. Talking, a lot. Eats anything and everything. All around, just gets a ton of attention and nurturing. I think this is where society has gone wrong. Mothers need to be at home with their children, raising them, teaching them right from wrong. What are your thoughts?

Are both parents having to work the real issue with today’s society?

Here’s a picture from our Memorial Day vacation at Disney. We took him for his 1st birthday and we had a blast!

Attachments

• F8634450-1513-4305-AF0D-0A4939CBA788.jpg
    F8634450-1513-4305-AF0D-0A4939CBA788.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I’m not really sure which one I am, so maybe someone can give some insight. I was born in 88, I’ll be 30 in September.

I own a locksmith business, a trade that is definitely overlooked and rarely suggested as a lucrative profession by teachers, counselors, etc.. Many are surprised when they find out I make 6 figures a year fixing locks. Obviously I work long, long hours. But that’s just part of it, being on call rescuing folks. But I choose to do that so that my family can have a good life.

My wife is just a few months younger than I am. She’s a stay at home mom, which is the point I’m getting to. Our son is so sharp. Walking at 11 months, throwing a basketball into a child’s goal. Talking, a lot. Eats anything and everything. All around, just gets a ton of attention and nurturing. I think this is where society has gone wrong. Mothers need to be at home with their children, raising them, teaching them right from wrong. What are your thoughts?

Here’s a picture from our Memorial Day vacation at Disney. We took him for his 1st birthday and we had a blast!

My kids ate anything I put in front of them at 11 months old. We were pretty full of ourselves thinking how great our kids eat....Then around 2 years old it just stopped out of the blue and dinner time became the age old struggle of parents forcing their kids to finish their broccoli.

But to your point about stay at home moms... I agree somewhat. I do think the push for dual incomes of the 80’s eventually became a burden on family. Then you had a parents overcompensating 90’s and even into today with helicopter parenting and being so involved their kids were never allowed to fail. This has created a generation of young adults with high anxiety when faced with adversity.

Now I defend Millennials mostly because every generation complains about the younger one. There is no perfect generation of people. There are human traits that run through us all and the only difference is the world around us. It’s a dumb thing to complain about.

And for the record you do fall into the Millenial category for whatever that matters to you.

My kids ate anything I put in front of them at 11 months old. We were pretty full of ourselves thinking how great our kids eat....Then around 2 years old it just stopped out of the blue and dinner time became the age old struggle of parents forcing their kids to finish their broccoli.

But to your point about stay at home moms... I agree somewhat. I do think the push for dual incomes of the 80’s eventually became a burden on family. Then you had a parents overcompensating 90’s and even into today with helicopter parenting and being so involved their kids were never allowed to fail. This has created a generation of young adults with high anxiety when faced with adversity.

Now I defend Millennials mostly because every generation complains about the younger one. There is no perfect generation of people. There are human traits that run through us all and the only difference is the world around us. It’s a dumb thing to complain about.

And for the record you do fall into the Millenial category for whatever that matters to you.

Yea, I mean I guess technically I am a Millenial. Im just not the stereotypical type that’s out protesting because the election didn’t go my way or demanding free stuff from people who actually worked for it. The term “Millennial” is definitely used in a negative fashion.

Yea, I mean I guess technically I am a Millenial. Im just not the stereotypical type that’s out protesting because the election didn’t go my way or demanding free stuff from people who actually worked for it. The term “Millennial” is definitely used in a negative fashion.

And incorrectly. I don’t think it was JUST Millenials that we’re doing the things of which you mentioned. Every generation has had its protestors. Older generations frowned on protesting against the Vietnam War or for Civil Rights or even as far back as taxation without representation but history proves them right more often than not.

When I hear someone complaining about Millenials it is generally about them being self absorbed and/entitled and unable to think critically. Which is all laughable since studies show Millenials tend to be more empathetic, more likely to volunteer and also more entrepreneurial (such as yourself).

Reactions: 2 people
And incorrectly. I don’t think it was JUST Millenials that we’re doing the things of which you mentioned. Every generation has had its protestors. Older generations frowned on protesting against the Vietnam War or for Civil Rights or even as far back as taxation without representation but history proves them right more often than not.

When I hear someone complaining about Millenials it is generally about them being self absorbed and/entitled and unable to think critically. Which is all laughable since studies show Millenials tend to be more empathetic, more likely to volunteer and also more entrepreneurial (such as yourself).

The one thing I will say is I definitely don’t like having a boss or following some imitative version of authority. That is a huge reason why I work for myself. Traits of a Virgo, I presume.

I remember listing to stories from my grandparents about growing up.

One story from my grandmother that always stood out to me was the size of her family and how she said her older sister basically was charged with raising the children. Her mother was constantly working the farm or cooking meals for the family. The whole family had their chores and work was something they did from the day they were old enough.

A couple things from my grandfather told that always stood out was that he talked about the depression and how it wasn't a big deal around east Tennessee. He said they were farmers and traded for whatever goods they needed. They worked their land, raised there animals and food. He would talk about family members that were in Michigan and Illinois that had to pack up their families and come back here to survive.

He also told how he he was so tired of working the farm that he begged his mother to let him early enlist at age 17 in the army for WWII. That always blew my mind that a person would sign up for war to get off the farm. Thank God the war was basically won by the time he got in.

So, I told you that to tell you this. The generations after that generation started doing everything for their children because they either didnt want them to have to live like they did or were well off enough not to require it. I believe people aren't prepared for work and stress like our past generations.

I think this is where the entitlement culture began. The whole I want what I want, the way I want it mentality was born.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
I remember listing to stories from my grandparents about growing up.

One story from my grandmother that always stood out to me was the size of her family and how she said her older sister basically was charged with raising the children. Her mother was constantly working the farm or cooking meals for the family. The whole family had their chores and work was something they did from the day they were old enough.

A couple things from my grandfather told that always stood out was that he talked about the depression and how it wasn't a big deal around east Tennessee. He said they were farmers and traded for whatever goods they needed. They worked their land, raised there animals and food. He would talk about family members that were in Michigan and Illinois that had to pack up their families and come back here to survive.

He also told how he he was so tired of working the farm that he begged his mother to let him early enlist at age 17 in the army for WWII. That always blew my mind that a person would sign up for war to get off the farm. Thank God the war was basically won by the time he got in.

So, I told you that to tell you this. The generations after that generation started doing everything for their children because they either didnt want them to have to live like they did or were well off enough not to require it. I believe people aren't prepared for work and stress like our past generations.

I think this is where the entitlement culture began. The whole I want what I want, the way I want it mentality was born.

That’s a great story. And to add to your point, even war nowadays isn’t as tough. As dark and ugly as WW2 was, fighters on both sides had tremendous pride, and regardless of which team they were on, thats admirable. Now you have one side fighting from the shadows, basically sucker punching you, and the other side just choosing strike points and pushing a button.

We live in strange times. If Al Gore wants credit for the internet, then he gets the blame as well lol.

I wish i was one of them lazy millenials. Wait, I am a millenial and have had a job since I was 16, went to vocational school and worked full time at the same time right out of high school, and have worked more than full time ever since. Them dadgern millenials.

Reactions: 2 people

My wife is just a few months younger than I am. She’s a stay at home mom, which is the point I’m getting to. Our son is so sharp. He was walking at 11 months, throwing a basketball into a child’s goal. Talking, a lot. Eats anything and everything. All around, just gets a ton of attention and nurturing. I think this is where society has gone wrong. Mothers need to be at home with their children, raising them, teaching them right from wrong. What are your thoughts?

much respect to you. Locksmiths are hard to find, we have to call them out to my workplace regulary to either make custom key ways, or get us out of a pickle every now and then. As far as both parents having to work. I don't think thats the issue, I think the issue is that a bunch of people grew up with parents who either didn't give a rats arse, or there was no punishment or consequences. I've noticed that my parents generation has had a lot handed to them by there parents. Something I haven't received, or ever will. Millennials and Generation Z are managing debt well as Gen X struggles

I wish i was one of them lazy millenials. Wait, I am a millenial and have had a job since I was 16, went to vocational school and worked full time at the same time right out of high school, and have worked more than full time ever since. Them dadgern millenials.

Thank you for your service

I’m only 5ish years ahead of the oldest Milllenials. I remember all the whining and griping about how disrespectful us Gen Xers were. Had a reputation as being a bunch of tattooed and pierced slackers.

When I was in my early 20s a good buddy of mine who was 14 years older than me used to throw shade on “kids” my age all the time. I used to be like “dude, your friends your age are mostly college dropouts who have “careers” as local guitar players and spend all day drinking beer.”

Millennials should either be split up into two categories or put old Millennials back into Gen X.

The start of the generation is supposedly early 80s, ending in the late 90s or early 2000s. People born in 1980 are much different, IMO, than people born in 1997. Early 80s births tend to have more Gen X characteristics.

Also, there is a subset of the Millennial generation that are "digital natives;" i.e., they have never, for all intents and purposes, lived without the internet and/or smartphones.

Millennials should either be split up into two categories or put old Millennials back into Gen X.

The start of the generation is supposedly early 80s, ending in the late 90s or early 2000s. People born in 1980 are much different, IMO, than people born in 1997. Early 80s births tend to have more Gen X characteristics.

Also, there is a subset of the Millennial generation that are "digital natives;" i.e., they have never, for all intents and purposes, lived without the internet and/or smartphones.

They call it Xennials.

I like generation C (for content) for younger millennials

Every generation has had its protestors. Older generations frowned on protesting against the Vietnam War or for Civil Rights or even as far back as taxation without representation but history proves them right more often than not.

It isn't really worth complaining about an older generation complaining about a younger one. You are correct - that kind of thing has happened since the beginning of time.

There are, however, characteristics that certain generations have that others don't, or characteristics that some generations show more or less of than others.

Millennials, IMO, are more sensitive than the generations before them. I think that stereotype is largely accurate. I don't mean every single person born from 1980-2000 is that way, I just mean the generation as a whole is that way.

Gen Xers, IMO, are cynical and disillusioned relative to Baby Boomers and especially to Millennials. Baby Boomers, IMO, are very hard-working but also very entitled, even more entitled than Millennials are, but they handle adversity much better than Millennials do.

This is so stupid. Every generation has lazy deadbeats, and every generation has hardworking, smart, ambitious people.

There are exceptions to all things. The worst mellennials are the low income workers. I would rather higher a 50 year old and teach them the computer programs we use (over 3 weeks) than higher a millennial who can figure it out in a day but text on there phone instead. You can tell them no phones 100 times but they are always pulling it out of their pocket like an addiction and using it.

The problem with lower wage millennial’s is that you will get 2 good weeks from them and then they are done/board/asking for a raise. It’s like clockwork.

There are exceptions to all things. The worst mellennials are the low income workers. I would rather higher a 50 year old and teach them the computer programs we use (over 3 weeks) than higher a millennial who can figure it out in a day but text on there phone instead. You can tell them no phones 100 times but they are always pulling it out of their pocket like an addiction and using it.

The problem with lower wage millennial’s is that you will get 2 good weeks from them and then they are done/board/asking for a raise. It’s like clockwork.

If I had an employer or prospective employer who published the above, I would be done/bored/asking for a raise, too.

VN Store

Back