Mike Leach looks back on Tennessee’s coaching search

After six seasons at WSU he's barely made .500 win %. First three seasons were all losing records. He woulda been fired after third consecutive losing season at UT.

Reactions: feathersax
Mike Leach is where he belongs, out west where the teams score a lot of points and don't care that much about playing defense. You have to play solid defense in the SEC if you want to win games. No doubt the offense would of put points up and would of been fun to watch had he became the coach of the Vols, but i'm not sure about what kind of defense he would of provided. He would of had to bring an elite DC with him. I think Pruitt will eventually have the defense playing top notch and hopefully the OC is as good as all of us hope he is.

It would have been a fun ride...but I just don't see it ever working long term. Extremely glad we got Pruitt, he is my kind of coach.

GBO

Reactions: Type Orange+
Entitled to your opinion, but Tennessee under Leach wouldn't ever be in contention for a championship.
Like Chip Kelly, he would’ve been eaten alive in the SEC. That said, when it looked like it was him I got excited. Convinced myself that he’d bring Grinch for the defense and his reputation would help with recruiting. Showed my wife his YouTube highlights and went to bed in a decent mood. We’re lucky that Fulmer is better than us at the AD thing and kept his eyes forward. Got us a SEC coach. Won’t guarantee that Pruitt can pull off the HC trick, but the teaching, coaching, crutin and development hedges a lot of bets.

Like Chip Kelly, he would’ve been eaten alive in the SEC. That said, when it looked like it was him I got excited. Convinced myself that he’d bring Grinch for the defense and his reputation would help with recruiting. Showed my wife his YouTube highlights and went to bed in a decent mood. We’re lucky that Fulmer is better than us at the AD thing and kept his eyes forward. Got us a SEC coach. Won’t guarantee that Pruitt can pull off the HC trick, but the teaching, coaching, crutin and development hedges a lot of bets.
I actually think he would have done OK here for a while.

I was the same as you, and though it isn't quite as much of a carnival ride with Pruitt, I am confident that longterm, he is the man for the job.

I also think Leach is what Kentucky needs, more than us. They need some kind of spark or gimmick that would attract recruits and light a fire for them.

Does the name Hal Mumme ring a bell.... don't see this guy doing any better.... Too many livingrooms would be lost to coaches of the SEC....

We needed a top tier recruiter more than we needed a brilliant offensive mind. Would've been a fun, completely controversial hire but don't think he would've done well here.
No, no, no, no.. we definitely needed a borderline offensive genius after Butch lol.
But it would have been fun.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Maybe I should show my wife Leach's YouTube highlights. Seems to work for you, butchna.

The Pirate likes the Vol Navy. Arrr...
ncf_vol-navy_tailgates.jpg

DSC02109.JPG

51aVguygukL._SX466_.jpg

That Vol Navy logo is so damn cool! I'm not a tattoo guy, but if I were, that logo would get serious consideration from me to go on my arm or calf.

Reactions: super MOM
We would have had a lot of fun with Leach. We would have been a 10 win program, never more, with every press conference being must see TV.
We would have been better than we would have been at any point over the last ten years, but with the system he likes to run we would have gone through some lean years IMO. I would have loved to have had Leach. I was ready to jump on the pirate ship and sail to sea with him lol it would have been a lot of fun.

We would have been better than we would have been at any point over the last ten years, but with the system he likes to run we would have gone through some lean years IMO. I would have loved to have had Leach. I was ready to jump on the pirate ship and sail to sea with him lol it would have been a lot of fun.
Winning’s funner.

He wil go to Kentucky whenever they fire Stoops.

Got a hunch Stoops is going to be around for a while. Folks round here seem to like what he's doing. Getting pretty good recruits. UK has had two straight 7-6 seasons and seems to be getting sneakingly better against decent competition. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being either 2nd or even 1st in the SEC-East if Georgia stumbles and the right combination of wins and losses fall their way. Stoops has done a pretty good job given where he coaches and is drawing recruits they probably never would have before. It remains to be seen if his coaching staff steps up one more notch this season. Don't be surprised if they surprise some folks. You have a questionable Florida team, a Tennessee team that might or might not be better than last season, a USCjr team they beat last season as well as beat a few other teams we couldn't. I'd say don't take the Felis (catus) silvestris for granted or lightly. Doing so would be at our own peril. This isn't the Kentucky that used to be, it is the Kentucky that is.

The danger of Stoops is that he might do well enough to be hired elsewhere. Then the feline kentuckius universita having tasted a bit of success might atypically squeeze enough money from their basketball budget and actually hire Leach. That might prove to be a major headache for the SEC-East.

VN Store

Back