Mike Dixon?

Cause no coach has been fired a year after receiving an extension?

If Pastner missed the NCAA Tournament the next two years he'd be on the hot seat going into 2015-16.

But he's been three years in a row and improved every season. The idea Pastner is under pressure is wishful thinking from Vol fans. Sorry.

If Pastner missed the NCAA Tournament the next two years he'd be on the hot seat going into 2015-16.

But he's been three years in a row and improved every season. The idea Pastner is under pressure is wishful thinking from Vol fans. Sorry.

Lol ok

Kane told Pastner after a Marshall game that he would love to play for Memphis. The Marshall coach cut him lose. He said it was best that Kane leave. Parrish wrote and said some pretty harsh stuff about Dixon and Pastner giving him a chance.

Parrish is a fan of JM. He said 'Leave him alone, he does a good job.....he's doing the best he can'...... jokingly. I recorded it. To be a beat writer and 'expert on Tiger basketball' as Parrish calls him, he hasn't broken much. The only one I know of is Austin Nichols. Roar broke Dixon on Tuesday when ESPN was saying it wasn't so. Parrish and Martin were saying it wasn't a done deal. Dixon had signed up for classes before he went home on Wednesday. Roar also broke Woodson commiting to Memphis. ESPN said he hadn't commited. Maritn, Parrish, nor anyone else was talking about it.

Parrish's show is a joke too. He and Caukins would rather talk about the bar he hangs out in or Caukins puppies rather than sports.

Anyway, I'm sure people here don't want to hear about Memphis radio and writers but that's what I know about the situation.

Martin isn't the Tiger's beat writer; Jason Smith is. Martin is the recruiting reporter, and does a fine job at it. Seems to me that Roar is jealous of the access that Smith and, to a lesser extent, Martin get to the program. It's unbecoming and probably bad for Roar's business. I'd probably subscribe if not for all the petty media feuds.

Not accurate at all. Pastner just got a 5 year deal near $3 million per. He is the Memphis coach for a long time, unless a blueblood comes open. Of course, for him to get that type of job he will need to be in a Final Four

Don't be so naive.

Martin isn't the Tiger's beat writer; Jason Smith is. Martin is the recruiting reporter, and does a fine job at it. Seems to me that Roar is jealous of the access that Smith and, to a lesser extent, Martin get to the program. It's unbecoming and probably bad for Roar's business. I'd probably subscribe if not for all the petty media feuds.

Sorry, you're right about Smith being the beat writer. BS, Roar is not jealous of anyone. Apparently their (Smith's and Martin's) access is not so great. Head contributor puts info out when it's 100% and almost always beats them to the punch. It's not a game of who's first. Smith and Martin's accuracy is not great either. Those guys along with Parrish are always blowing their own horn claiming they broke news. Who broke the news on Dixon, Woodson and Kirby? Roar is not operated as a money making business.

Sorry, you're right about Smith being the beat writer. BS, Roar is not jealous of anyone. Apparently their (Smith's and Martin's) access is not so great. Head contributor puts info out when it's 100% and almost always beats them to the punch. It's not a game of who's first. Smith and Martin's accuracy is not great either. Those guys along with Parrish are always blowing their own horn claiming they broke news. Who broke the news on Dixon, Woodson and Kirby? Roar is not operated as a money making business.

I'm not saying that Roar is envious, but what other inference is the public supposed to arrive at? Roar (or at least, the Roar subscribers) is/are always fixated on "who scooped the story first" when it seems like Parrish, Martin, Smith and Watson could care less. Roar makes it weirdly competitive. It just smacks of insecurity, but again, this could just be the subscribers' mentality and not that of Roar. I enjoy Roar and all of Roar's writers.

Either way the addition of Dixon to the Tiger backcourt only means one thing. No more excuses for Pastner!

Reactions: 1 person
Either way the addition of Barton to the Vol backcourt only means one thing. No more excuses for Martin!

Agree with both....

No,Coach Martin hasn't had the stellar recruiting classes that Pastner has had. People in the Bluff City are ready for Pastner to coach this team deep into a tourney. On the flipside adding Barton to a UT team returning key players in addition to Maymon's return does have expectations high and there shouldn't be excuses because this team should excel compared to last season. What I see in Pastner is a great recruiter, a guy that has very good asst. coaches on staff, but has yet to jell his team into playing as one or having a team discipline enough to win big games.

No,Coach Martin hasn't had the stellar recruiting classes that Pastner has had.

I'm confused - shouldn't this put CCM more on the hot seat than Pastner?

At least Pastner has demonstrated his ability to successfully perform 1/2 of his job - get the tallent on campus. The 2nd half of coaching the tallent up certainly needs to improve which can be accomplished rather quickly with the addition of the right assistant coaches.

CCM hasn't excelled at either half yet. This is CCM's year to show out.

I'm confused - shouldn't this put CCM more on the hot seat than Pastner?

At least Pastner has demonstrated his ability to successfully perform 1/2 of his job - get the tallent on campus. The 2nd half of coaching the tallent up certainly needs to improve which can be accomplished rather quickly with the addition of the right assistant coaches.

CCM hasn't excelled at either half yet. This is CCM's year to show out.
I wouldn't think Pastner is on the hot seat because,

a. Who would do a better/more efficient job than Paster?

b. Pastner has had a good winning record, regardless if they were in the C-USA

c. As stated, Pastner has been pulling in great talent.

I understand he's failed to make a deep tournament run, but other than that he's done a good job over there. Just from what I've read and heard, I wouldn't think he's in the hot seat. I'd say you're correct, that CCM is probably the "hotter" of the two.

I hope that Goodman really doesn't have something against Memphis. I was kind of on board with his thoughts last year about Memphis not beating anyone, but this kind of looks like he has something against them. I am not really sure it matters who has the best backcourt even though it is fun to discuss. Both Memphis and Louisville have really good guards, but I believe Memphis has the best defensive guard pair in Johnson and Dixon in the country. I am not sure that I agree that Smith and Hancock are better, and we will just have to see how good Chris Jones really is.

Again, Memphis' weakness will be down low, and Pastner will have an interesting job in splitting up the guard minutes. They may be able to run, but can any of them guard the 4 in a four guard lineup?

Anyway, Memphis' backcourt will be fun to watch. JMO.

Memphis beginning the year. By year's end, Louisville will be better IMO especially if Ware is able to come back healthy by mid season. When UT fans actually see how incredible Chris Jones is, the Pearl saga will be stinging all over again.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back