Mike Dixon?

It's a done deal now...

Former Missouri Tigers guard Michael Dixon to join Memphis Tigers - ESPN

Josh has his work cut out for him.

If he gets the waiver that back court including Dixon is second to none. 4 seniors with Crawford as the weak link? That is scary good. Love them or hate them Memphis could be stacked. I love Mike Dixon as a player. Without Dixon they become very good not great next year. Odds are he will cash in on the second chance if waiver is given. Never know with Emmert & crew. You have your work cut out as a coach if your roster lacks talent and depth. Memphis wont with Dixon. He never had issues being a good teammate on the court at Missouri.

UConn for instance has 2 clowns that got arrested in Wolf and Olander. Wolf got his scholly pulled and Olander is a waste. Reasonable minds may disagree on risk/reward here but this is a risk I take. JMHO

If he gets the waiver that back court including Dixon is second to none. 4 seniors with Crawford as the weak link? That is scary good. Love them or hate them Memphis could be stacked. I love Mike Dixon as a player. Without Dixon they become very good not great next year. Odds are he will cash in on the second chance if waiver is given. Never know with Emmert & crew. You have your work cut out as a coach if your roster lacks talent and depth. Memphis wont with Dixon. He never had issues being a good teammate on the court at Missouri.

UConn for instance has 2 clowns that got arrested in Wolf and Olander. Wolf got his scholly pulled and Olander is a waste. Reasonable minds may disagree on risk/reward here but this is a risk I take. JMHO
BTO, what is your input on this?

BTO, what is your input on this?

Did you miss this post a few pages back???

The chemistry on teams may be more interesting to watch with Memphis than it is gonna be with Kentucky.

Honestly, Memphis may have the single best roster in the country, when you consider talent + experience. Kudos to Pastner for building that roster, it will be interesting to see what he can do with it, and if he can handle all the different players.

There's no excuse for that team to not be top 15 all year, and to at a minimum make a sweet 16.

And I may even change that to top 10, and elite 8, that roster is that talented and experienced. Pastner has done an amazing job building that roster, no excuses this year, see what he can do as a coach.

Last edited:
Biggest hurdle I would guess is making sure he will get a waiver to play next year...if he can't play next year I doubt we'd be interested in bringing him in.

I really dont see CCM having a real interest in this type of kid....I mean...you talk about bad press...AND...if something happens again (as I understand it there were two espisodes) you would really be in the hot seat...the Memphis Media is not even on board with this move for Memphis....dangerous when there are other options out there...He got kicked out of Missiouri for a reason....

Did you miss this post a few pages back???

And I may even change that to top 10, and elite 8, that roster is that talented and experienced. Pastner has done an amazing job building that roster, no excuses this year, see what he can do as a coach.

But I feel its been this close for a long time...and JP has just not done anything with the talent he has...and I mean "nothing"....

Very talented and deep roster, but the frontcourt will still be a question. As a coach, I know you can't always help it, but Pastner will have one of the best backcourts in the country to go along with a very inexperienced and not very physical frontcourt. Let's face it, Iverson and Nichols are raw and face up players, Pellom is only 220 and hasn't played in a year, and Pastner, himself, says that Woodson has to lose about 30-40 pounds.

It will also be interesting to see how he deals with the personalities and minutes. I am really surprised Dixon wanted to play for a team with 3 senior guards. Should be interesting.

It would have been an interesting battle next year if UM- and UT were to play. UM has the best backcourt, and UT would have the advantage at positions 4-5 and maybe even with McRae at the 3. Serious talent on the floor.

Very talented and deep roster, but the frontcourt will still be a question. As a coach, I know you can't always help it, but Pastner will have one of the best backcourts in the country to go along with a very inexperienced and not very physical frontcourt. Let's face it, Iverson and Nichols are raw and face up players, Pellom is only 220 and hasn't played in a year, and Pastner, himself, says that Woodson has to lose about 30-40 pounds.

It will also be interesting to see how he deals with the personalities and minutes. I am really surprised Dixon wanted to play for a team with 3 senior guards. Should be interesting.

It would have been an interesting battle next year if UM- and UT were to play. UM has the best backcourt, and UT would have the advantage at positions 4-5 and maybe even with McRae at the 3. Serious talent on the floor.

Front court is completely revamped this season. We'll all get to see, objectively, whether it's Pastner that can't develop his post players, or the post players he's had in h past simply didn't perform up to their hype. It will be telling.

Front court is completely revamped this season. We'll all get to see, objectively, whether it's Pastner that can't develop his post players, or the post players he's had in h past simply didn't perform up to their hype. It will be telling.

It would appear Martin and Pastner are in similar situations. Both have positioned themselves for a good season, in what is a critical season in deciding their future paths.

If Pastner can't make a deep run with this team he's never gonna do it. And I don't think he gets it done to be honest

1. Pastner wanted Kane, but Kane didn't want Memphis. That's why Pastner went after Dixon, because he was turned down by Kane.

2. UT didn't pursue him, at all.

Kane didn't turn down Memphis. There was an issue with playing time and what he wanted promised to him. Kane sought out Pastner and told him that he wanted to play at Memphis. A lot of people wanted Kane but Pastner isn't going to let a kid or his parents tell them how much he plays. This was the main issue. There has to be a reason that Marshall just let him go.

Kane is a potential headache that I would have avoided. Great player but not worth the issues he brings. I would much rather take Dixon with all the media rumblings than have Kane casuing problems and pouting....sort of what Jackson went through year before last.

One last thing......if someone tells you that 28 yo John Martin broke a story, check his sources. He has almost zero credible sources. Parrish, the other day on air, said leave John alone, he's doing the best he can do.

MC says Roar doesn't like Josh Smith, Leroy, etc. Not true. It hasn't been documented that they took content from the site. Leroy is a good guy and doesn't claim to be an inisider. He doesn't claim to break any stories.

Sorry BTO, too much Memphis stuff for you guys but can't help it when someone here has their story wrong.

Last edited:
He was until mommy stepped in. John Martin (Memphis' writer) also echoed the same thing. I learned my lesson not to speak in absolutes when it comes o recruiting, things can always change.

With that said, you're still wrong, Pastner doesn't always get who Pastner wants.

I know Mommy, work with her. It was never a done deal. She told people that all along. True, she wanted Duke or Memphis. Austin didn't 'feel it' at Duke when he visited.

The Nichols story is probably the only thing Martin broke since being the Memphis beat writer. BTO, you're right, they gave him the story but he has been wrong and late on several other things including Dixon. Roar has solid contacts and is 100% before they publish. He also told Parrish that Miles Simon hasn't accepted the asst position......he did. He just backed out because he just found out his dad has prostate cancer.

Last edited:
Kane was a potential headache, but Dixon isn't a potential headache? Lol ok.

He is but not as far as basketball and PT is concerned. Kane or family wanted some kind guarantee. Dixon is happy to be there with a second chance. That's what I meant.

Kane didn't turn down Memphis. There was an issue with playing time and what he wanted promised to him. Kane sought out Pastner and told him that he wanted to play at Memphis. A lot of people wanted Kane but Pastner isn't going to let a kid or his parents tell them how much he plays. This was the main issue. There has to be a reason that Marshall just let him go.

Kane is a potential headache that I would have avoided. Great player but not worth the issues he brings. I would much rather take Dixon with all the media rumblings than have Kane casuing problems and pouting....sort of what Jackson went through year before last.

One last thing......if someone tells you that 28 yo John Martin broke a story, check his sources. He has almost zero credible sources. Parrish, the other day on air, said leave John alone, he's doing the best he can do.

MC says Roar doesn't like Josh Smith, Leroy, etc. Not true. It hasn't been documented that they took content from the site. Leroy is a good guy and doesn't claim to be an inisider. He doesn't claim to break any stories.

Sorry BTO, too much Memphis stuff for you guys but can't help it when someone here has their story wrong.

I can't believe I am doing this because I am not a fan of John Martin. Big homer that does work for the paper, which needs to be unbiased. That said, I don't believe that is exactly what Parrish said- I heard the interview. He said to leave Martin alone because he does a good job- not the best that he can do. I know a subtle difference, but I have heard Parrish give Martin the credit for breaking a story. I don't know who runs MemphisRoar and don't care, but there seems to be some problem between them and Martin. Kind of ridiculous.

As far as players, I am kind of surprised both Dixon and Kane considered Memphis because of playing time. But I agree that Kane sounds like a potential problem. Not sure that Marshall has a choice when he can take advantage of the graduation rule. I thought he was gone to the NBA after his sophomore year. Pastner has work to do to keep everyone on the same page.

I can't believe I am doing this because I am not a fan of John Martin. Big homer that does work for the paper, which needs to be unbiased. That said, I don't believe that is exactly what Parrish said- I heard the interview. He said to leave Martin alone because he does a good job- not the best that he can do. I know a subtle difference, but I have heard Parrish give Martin the credit for breaking a story. I don't know who runs MemphisRoar and don't care, but there seems to be some problem between them and Martin. Kind of ridiculous.

As far as players, I am kind of surprised both Dixon and Kane considered Memphis because of playing time. But I agree that Kane sounds like a potential problem. Not sure that Marshall has a choice when he can take advantage of the graduation rule. I thought he was gone to the NBA after his sophomore year. Pastner has work to do to keep everyone on the same page.

Kane told Pastner after a Marshall game that he would love to play for Memphis. The Marshall coach cut him lose. He said it was best that Kane leave. Parrish wrote and said some pretty harsh stuff about Dixon and Pastner giving him a chance.

Parrish is a fan of JM. He said 'Leave him alone, he does a good job.....he's doing the best he can'...... jokingly. I recorded it. To be a beat writer and 'expert on Tiger basketball' as Parrish calls him, he hasn't broken much. The only one I know of is Austin Nichols. Roar broke Dixon on Tuesday when ESPN was saying it wasn't so. Parrish and Martin were saying it wasn't a done deal. Dixon had signed up for classes before he went home on Wednesday. Roar also broke Woodson commiting to Memphis. ESPN said he hadn't commited. Maritn, Parrish, nor anyone else was talking about it.

Parrish's show is a joke too. He and Caukins would rather talk about the bar he hangs out in or Caukins puppies rather than sports.

Anyway, I'm sure people here don't want to hear about Memphis radio and writers but that's what I know about the situation.

Last edited:
Kane told Pastner after a Marshall game that he would love to play for Memphis. The Marshall coach cut him lose. He said it was best that Kane leave. Parrish wrote and said some pretty harsh stuff about Dixon and Pastner giving him a chance.

Parrish is a fan of JM. He said 'Leave him alone, he does a good job.....he's doing the best he can'...... jokingly. I recorded it. To be a beat writer and 'expert on Tiger basketball' as Parrish calls him, he hasn't broken much. The only one I know of is Austin Nichols. Roar broke Dixon on Tuesday when ESPN was saying it wasn't so. Parrish and Martin were saying it wasn't a done deal. Dixon had signed up for classes before he went home on Wednesday. Roar also broke Woodson commiting to Memphis. ESPN said he hadn't commited. Maritn, Parrish, nor anyone else was talking about it.

Parrish's show is a joke too. He and Caukins would rather talk about the bar he hangs out in or Caukins puppies rather than sports.

Anyway, I'm sure people here don't want to hear about Memphis radio and writers but that's what I know about the situation.

Yea, I am not going to get into this on a Vol board. But, although Parrish is a little full of himself, I consider it one of the better shows in the area. I couldn't care less to listen to callers, and Parrish hardly ever takes calls and has actual interviews. As far as college basketball, he probably has the best contacts in the area. He protects Martin because he got Martin started. To be honest, I really don't care what Martin or Keith Easterwood have to say about anything.

Kane was a potential headache, but Dixon isn't a potential headache? Lol ok.

Two very different types of "headaches." Regardless of what may have happened off the court, players at Mizzou swear by him. Kim English said he's the best teammate he's ever had. He gets it done on the defensive end and doesn't care about starting. If anything Dixon will be good for Memphis' chemistry.

Kane was part of a toxic locker room at Marshall. Even when they were playing decent in 2011-12 that team was a mess internally. And he was definitely a high-maintenance guy.

Kane is a great player but a much bigger headache for a coach.

Very accurate.

Not accurate at all. Pastner just got a 5 year deal near $3 million per. He is the Memphis coach for a long time, unless a blueblood comes open. Of course, for him to get that type of job he will need to be in a Final Four

Not accurate at all. Pastner just got a 5 year deal near $3 million per. He is the Memphis coach for a long time, unless a blueblood comes open. Of course, for him to get that type of job he will need to be in a Final Four

Cause no coach has been fired a year after receiving an extension?

VN Store

Back