Mercedes Russell

Abby Conklin was always a good quote and they didn't always please PHS but a player who was great to watch. I comment because at the end of her freshman year she commented on how weak she was and the need to get stronger. Pashen was the small post who had great defensive footwork. and it is a good thing that some of the VolN boarders didn't see Holdsclaw's attempt at defense her freshman year.

All this by way os agreeing with players develop. strength, and eye-hand and keep the ball high if you're a post.

Russell needs some time in the gym and to learn to block out better and not to go to the floor with the ball as much as she likes to do and work on them free throws lol she will get it figured out though,she is starting to learn her role as a post player at the collegiate level and don't the future look bright for her ? :)

Reactions: 1 person
Here is another comparison:

Mercedes Russell: 2013 ESPN HoopGurlz Overall #1 (98-grade 5*) P:

18 gms, 5 starts (19.8 min/gm) - 7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.5 bpg, .592 FG %

Alaina Coates: 2013 ESPN HoopGurlz Overall 28th (95-grade 4*) P:

19 gms, 1 start (19.1 min/gm) - 12.0 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.0 bpg, .621 FG %

Look at the difference in the competition they have faced. SC's schedule has not been near the level of ours.

That's not the answer. You're just counting home games. I'm talking about total attendance. Women's basketball is no longer just a local sport. Because of a large increase in TV & internet coverage of many more teams, fans can follow their team wherever they live. Some visiting teams draw large crowds, Notre Dame for instance. They have fans all over.

Teams look for opponents that can draw attendees to their home games. It's a big deal to increase the sport's popularity.

So, I ask again, why is UT's total attendance going down?

Compare Georgia's attendance against Kentucky and against Tennessee. Compare any SEC team's home attendance against Tennessee and against any other SEC team.

Look at the difference in the competition they have faced. SC's schedule has not been near the level of ours.

Not so sure that has much to do with it. The SEC plays the same teams within itself: Coates has done comparatively better than Russell during conference play...

I see this thread is turning into something else, thought this was supposed to be about Russell.

Last edited:
Post players take time to develop and that's usually 2-3 years. MR is no different. Look at some of the top post players in WCBB over the years. Harrison is doing a good job in the middle and the coaching staff needs to teach the LVs to run plays to her open. If you have MR and Harrison it at the same time how bout a high low. Stanford ran it a couple of times yesterday. This is a game the LVs should've walked away with. They are big and talented. In the second half Bama looked like a high school team and the LVs struggled to get the lead. With about 6 minutes left they began to pull away. Why? Because on some of their fast breaks they were out of control. They settled for jump shots, instead of dribble penetration and kick it out or get it to Harrison or Graves. IMO the mystery continues. With all that talent and a very good post game why are the LVs struggling?

I believe we have a very talented team, and we shiw glimpses of great basketball but I feel like we don't play that great as a basketball TEAM.

Mercedes Russell has shown in some games that she can play with the best of them. And she has also shown her weaknesses. I think that can be said for alot of players. She is a top rated player coming into Tennessee but doesnt have that the pressure of being a standout on her shoulders. She is coming off the bench for Harrison or Graves so she is slowly working her way into becoming that starter player. She has time on her side and I think come tournament play we are going to see a beast in blocked shots, and stronger finishes.

Reactions: 2 people
Mercedes major weakness is strength which I think would not be a problem as a sophomore. She has skills but has trouble catching the ball in traffic needs hand strength. She is becoming more physical and taking the ball up stronger. Harrison wasn't a factor as a freshman Mercedes has been much better than she was as a freshman. Harrison did the work and is a key player for the Lady Vols now. Mercedes has a lot more potential and if she does what she needs to do we'll see it start coming together next season. I can see a lot of improvement already.

yea she does need a season of working on her strength and how to catch the ball,it seems like a lot of the time she isn't looking for it

VN Store

Back