Mercedes Russell

I am disappointed with how she has been playing.

But! I truly believe she will make vast improvments and be an awesome player for us.

and don't forget the poor passing that is going on,Russell would do a lot better off a bounce pass,rather than all the high passes to her,of course her looking for the high pass would help a lot

Mercedes is getting better with every game. I watched the first couple of games that Dolson played for UCONN and I thought that Geno had lost his mind recruiting her. By the end of the year she looked like a different player. I suspect Mercedes will also.
Everyone thought Geno lost his mind recruiting Dolson. She was chubby, not highly rated (ranked in the high 30's) couldn't jump. But Geno saw something in her that no one else did and he was right. She had the drive to transform her body and turned herself into an all american. Mercedes might be able to do the same thing if is she is motivated. Not many are because its a lot of work and success is not totally in the player's hands. The rest of the team has to be equally dedicated.

Reactions: 1 person
Here is another comparison:

Mercedes Russell: 2013 ESPN HoopGurlz Overall #1 (98-grade 5*) P:

18 gms, 5 starts (19.8 min/gm) - 7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.5 bpg, .592 FG %

Alaina Coates: 2013 ESPN HoopGurlz Overall 28th (95-grade 4*) P:

19 gms, 1 start (19.1 min/gm) - 12.0 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.0 bpg, .621 FG %

Here is another comparison:

Mercedes Russell: 2013 ESPN HoopGurlz Overall #1 (98-grade 5*) P:

18 gms, 5 starts (19.8 min/gm) - 7.6 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.5 bpg, .592 FG %

Alaina Coates: 2013 ESPN HoopGurlz Overall 28th (95-grade 4*) P:

19 gms, 1 start (19.1 min/gm) - 12.0 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.0 bpg, .621 FG %

South Carolina will be the class of the SEC next year, if they aren't this year.

She needs to be aggressive and Texas A&M was one of her best games. She was going up strong with her shots and was on the boards with authority. 8 points and 11 rebounds was really needed.

she did look good in that game,especially with Izzy getting early fouls,again,it is great to have her playing better and helping to keep Izzy out of foul trouble

and you will notice that one of her main reasons was the fan support

A successful program has fans with expectations. Tennessee has had its share of great success, just not recently - at least by Tennessee standards.

Pressure is not a bad thing. The athletes and the coaching staff need to understand the situation as it is - and to respond in a positive manner.

It appears that attendance is down this year by 23.5% from 11390 to 8707 per game. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Because unlike UT, other schools have lukewarm fans?

Attendance Report thru games 01/26/2014

Rank 1
Institution Tennessee
Conference Southeastern
Accum Attendance 124,561
Avg Attendance 11,324
Stadium Capacity 21,678
Pct Capacity 52.24
Games 11

Last edited:
Because unlike UT, other schools have lukewarm fans?

Attendance Report thru games 01/26/2014

Rank 1
Institution Tennessee
Conference Southeastern
Accum Attendance 124,561
Avg Attendance 11,324
Stadium Capacity 21,678
Pct Capacity 52.24
Games 11

That's not the answer. You're just counting home games. I'm talking about total attendance. Women's basketball is no longer just a local sport. Because of a large increase in TV & internet coverage of many more teams, fans can follow their team wherever they live. Some visiting teams draw large crowds, Notre Dame for instance. They have fans all over.

Teams look for opponents that can draw attendees to their home games. It's a big deal to increase the sport's popularity.

So, I ask again, why is UT's total attendance going down?

anybody have the attendance record from the last 5 years,is that what your asking ? probably should go back 10,it would be interesting to see,post em when you find em :)

Well, I'll start off by asking why it would have anything to do with UT as to why other schools are having attendance problems?

Have you looked to see if this year's opponents simply have smaller venues than last year's?

UT's attendance still leads the nation. Other schools should be striving to match that. Having said all that, I know of one school deliberately tanking their own attendance, and that's Vanderbilt. For the last several years, they have refused to sell single-game tickets for the UT game except for their 3rd tier. They used to have a full house (their only one of the year) whenever UT came to their gym, but now they prefer to have a 2/3 empty gym than to allow UT fans to come to the game. It's a good strategy for them in that it has gotten them a couple of wins, but it's not growing the game, not even for them. So there's the reason why one school is dropping in attendance.

That's not the answer. You're just counting home games. I'm talking about total attendance. Women's basketball is no longer just a local sport. Because of a large increase in TV & internet coverage of many more teams, fans can follow their team wherever they live. Some visiting teams draw large crowds, Notre Dame for instance. They have fans all over.

Teams look for opponents that can draw attendees to their home games. It's a big deal to increase the sport's popularity.

"Convoluted"! Yes I would say you chose an appropriated. Of course, you could have gotten a little closer even, to describe your ridiculous comments.

The Lady Vols cannot control other team's crowds, but without looking up their figures, I would be glad to compare road crowds by other team to our Lady Vols. As Gary Blair (a pretty good coach) stressed Sunday, Tennessee is America's Team. And in case you do not know him, he is coach of Texas A & M, National Championship team of 2011, I believe.

Why don't you tell us where your getting these "numbers"? When you come here pulling numbers out of your a ss, without citing anything you claim, it makes you look like a troll. So, tell us convoluted, where and how are you coming up with these figures. I'll double check for myself and see if your full of sh it or not.

"Convoluted"! Yes I would say you chose an appropriated. Of course, you could have gotten a little closer even, to describe your ridiculous comments.

The Lady Vols cannot control other team's crowds, but without looking up their figures, I would be glad to compare road crowds by other team to our Lady Vols. As Gary Blair (a pretty good coach) stressed Sunday, Tennessee is America's Team. And in case you do not know him, he is coach of Texas A & M, National Championship team of 2011, I believe.
Starting to sound like The Summitt around here. After a couple readings, I can't understand what you are trying to say in your first two sentences.

Anyone who follows women's BB knows Gary Blair and remembers the Daniel Adams championship. Not sure how the America's Team comment relates to attendance. He could have picked a better phrase.

No need for you to get defensive about TN's drop in attendance. I know TN has been the attendance leader for a long time. My question was why is it dropping off so much. Is it just TN's drop in status or a general trend for women's BB.

Starting to sound like The Summitt around here. After a couple readings, I can't understand what you are trying to say in your first two sentences.

Anyone who follows women's BB knows Gary Blair and remembers the Daniel Adams championship. Not sure how the America's Team comment relates to attendance. He could have picked a better phrase.

No need for you to get defensive about TN's drop in attendance. I know TN has been the attendance leader for a long time. My question was why is it dropping off so much. Is it just TN's drop in status or a general trend for women's BB.

Sorry you're jealous of our continuing stellar attendance :eek:lol:

it's Obama's fault. People have no $ for extra things like attending sporting events when they have more tax to pay & health insurance premiums out the wazoo!

:(

Why don't you tell us where your getting these "numbers"? When you come here pulling numbers out of your a ss, without citing anything you claim, it makes you look like a troll. So, tell us convoluted, where and how are you coming up with these figures. I'll double check for myself and see if your full of sh it or not.
When I looked back to get the source of the numbers, I realized I was comparing TN home games from last year to all games this year. That explains what looked to be a big attendance drop.

These numbers from last year only include home games.
2013 NCAA Women's Basketball Attendance

This year's numbers, all games.

TOTAL 20 Games, 174133 Attendance, Ave. Att. 8707 came from from http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html and include all games.

So, I guess there is no way to see how a team draws at away games except to look at the home attendance for all opponents and see how attendance varies. Too much work.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I wasn't trying to be a troll, just wondering what impact teams have on attendance.

VN Store

Back