McElroy's Top 5 SEC QBs

*Dormandy

As in: "Dadgum! Dobbs dun thrown another interception! How come we ain't playing that Dormandy kid! I seen him in the spring game and he looked dang good! All Dobbs can do is run the ball. Dormandy is gonna be the next Peyton."

I think it will be a lot of:

Dobbs 35 yard run for a TD
Dobbs 40 yard pass
Dobbs 15 yard pass for a TD
Dobbs 25 yard run
Dobbs 9 yard run for a TD
Dobbs INT......

"Put Dormady in!!"
"Dobbs is not the answer!"

He threw short on the same pattern Dormady hit except on the other side. I believe Pig was the target and had a step but had to wait on the ball.

I believe it was the SC game where Pearson was wide open down the right side for what would have been an easy score, but he had to wait for the ball and the defender to arrive. The play was big but hitting him in stride would have given them a TD. Just another example. Dobbs didn't get a lot of chances to throw down the field. But he didn't seem to excel at it either.

Dobbs 40 yard pass
Dobbs 25 yard run
Dobbs INT......

"Put Dormady in!!"

That, and something about the broad side of a barn.

Dobbs 40 yard pass
Dobbs 25 yard run
Dobbs INT......

"Put Dormady in!!"

Come on chatt, you have to see the contradiction in you complaining about those that scream for the back up qb? I mean you do right?

Come on chatt, you have to see the contradiction in you complaining about those that scream for the back up qb? I mean you do right?

I'm assuming the word you're looking for is "irony," not contradiction. But no, I do not see the irony. Have I repeatedly asked for a backup QB to come in and I'm not aware of it?

Brandon Allen was a surprise. Looking back, I remember thinking he was one of the worst his first starting year. But last year he actually had good numbers. I kinda forgot because I was so focused on that massive run game. Arky gonna be real good if B. Allen is legit.

Exactly. I've been saying "don't sleep on arkansas's qb" all off season.

You get wrapped up in off line and rb's.., but they have a very solid qb to boot . Ark's offense can/should be very tough this season

I'm assuming the word you're looking for is "irony," not contradiction. But no, I do not see the irony. Have I repeatedly asked for a backup QB to come in and I'm not aware of it?

Actually no on the wording but it's a common mistake, you're not the first. On the QB situation though, am I confusing you with the other chat whatever, member? If so, I apologize.

Edit, I did confuse you with someone else. I do apologize for that. Second time in the year that I've been here. Sorry again.

Last edited:
For those of you who're concerned about Dobb's accuracy and placement, including those long throws, how about finding a video of the O&W game and you'll see only one "bad" pass by Astro. As for his progress from last spring to this fall, keep in mind the tossing and catching he's been able to practice with his receivers, and let's not leave out the yet-unmentioned x-factor...Coach DeBo's ability to develop great qbs. After a few short weeks, we witnessed much improved footwork, pass mechanics and decision acumen out of Dobbs under DeBo's new tutelage. How much better do y'all think he'll be by September 5th? He may well end up being the SEC's #1 qb by season's end.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. I've been saying "don't sleep on arkansas's qb" all off season.

You get wrapped up in off line and rb's.., but they have a very solid qb to boot . Ark's offense can/should be very tough this season

Yeah, their QB has turned into a good run-their-system guy with good ball security. His completion percentage and yards are just okay though. But he does seem like a smart QB. If TN can open up a lead and cause him to force some passes, he can be exposed.

Reactions: 1 person
I only remember one pass where this was the case, honestly. It was the first drive where he got pressured and had to throw on the run. Other than that I didn't see anything to suggest he's struggling to lead the receiver.

I just watched the first half of the O&W game. He threw 4 times down field including the one you mention. On three other occasions he threw the sideline fly they're working on. None of the three were particularly accurate. On the first one, it was good coverage but had he lead Pig then Moseley would have had no play. He threw it either late or behind and out of bounds. On the second, Pig had a step on the same pattern vs Moseley. Dobbs threw it short but Pig was still able to fight through Moseley to make the catch. On the last one, he threw to Smith. The pass was well short. Smith slowed down to attempt a catch and the DB ran into him for an interference call.

This isn't a condemnation. I like Dobbs. But for this team to be as good as it can be on O... he MUST learn to lead receivers down field and get some air under the ball.

I've noticed his fade passes in the red zone can also be too flat.

I am sure this wouldn't be news to Dobbs or anyone on the O staff or the team.

*Dormandy

As in: "Dadgum! Dobbs dun thrown another interception! How come we ain't playing that Dormandy kid! I seen him in the spring game and he looked dang good! All Dobbs can do is run the ball. Dormandy is gonna be the next Peyton."

Or "Dormandy was obviously the best QB last year and Butch failed by BENCHING him...it was clear to ALL OF THE COLLEGE WORLD since that pass he completed in the O&W Game!" :geek:

Reactions: 2 people
I know bama fans have to be pissed at ole Greg. We got pissed when finebum started kissing bama butt. Imagine if manning was on tv every week talking up bama!

I love a bama player talking up UT soooo much!

I know bama fans have to be pissed at ole Greg. We got pissed when finebum started kissing bama butt. Imagine if manning was on tv every week talking up bama!

I love a bama player talking up UT soooo much!

I know that Joe Namath abused the broadcast profession...on MNF and then part of the lower tier announcing teams. Kenny Stabler tried it for awhile, but has there ever been a Bama product that could be graded as an analyst. McElroy seems to have taken the Herbstreit course and is shining. We don't get bogged down with the "when I played" crap or the Lou Holtz type program bias. It most likely helps that Bama's at the top every year anyway but he's doing it right so far.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back