McElroy's Top 5 SEC QBs

He can't win the heisman, it'll go to someone who'll win it in a way nobody else has and he will be the runner up. I'm going with first offensive lineman.

(History:
Johnny Majors: runner up to only player on a team that had a losing season
Peyton Manning: runner up to only primarily defensive player)

The Woodson heisman farce still pisses me off. Completely manufactured to give him the award and keep it away from Manning. Woodson was in college what he's now been in the NFL....an outstanding db. Iirc, the year Woodson won the Heisman as a "2 way player", he had all of 11 receptions and averaged a pedestrian 8 yards per punt return. But the political momentum was building and when he had a big game vs Ohio State (iirc, the same day that Peyton threw for 523 yds and 4 tds), it was over, the deal was done.

He can't win the heisman, it'll go to someone who'll win it in a way nobody else has and he will be the runner up. I'm going with first offensive lineman.

(History:
Johnny Majors: runner up to only player on a team that had a losing season
Peyton Manning: runner up to only primarily defensive player)
I vote first ever kicker will win it over dobbs

The real stat: Dobbs has thrown 12 Interceptions, and 11 TD Passes. If Dobbs doesn't improve significantly in this area, well, you know what the narrative will be, both for Dobbs and UT.

Reactions: 1 person
Gonna be honest.... I hope Dobbs does improve significantly as a passer. I love the guy and always have... but UT needs a long ball threat.

Agreed. If he throws ints bc he is being aggressive and trying to thread the needle, I can live with it. If he starts throwing ints on the rollout straight into defenders' hands...:unsure:

This time next year the starting QB for Tennessee football will be DOBBS
QUESTION>>>>>
The back-up QB will be.......?? Dormandy
QBs redshirting. ............?? Kid from NJ (cannot spell his name)
QBs transferring................?? not sure

The Woodson heisman farce still pisses me off. Completely manufactured to give him the award and keep it away from Manning. Woodson was in college what he's now been in the NFL....an outstanding db. Iirc, the year Woodson won the Heisman as a "2 way player", he had all of 11 receptions and averaged a pedestrian 8 yards per punt return. But the political momentum was building and when he had a big game vs Ohio State (iirc, the same day that Peyton threw for 523 yds and 4 tds), it was over, the deal was done.

I'm glad Woodson is still playing on. I guess he and Peyton are just gonna stare at each other until one blinks and retires

The real stat: Dobbs has thrown 12 Interceptions, and 11 TD Passes. If Dobbs doesn't improve significantly in this area, well, you know what the narrative will be, both for Dobbs and UT.

Except 6 of those interceptions were in 2013 when he was a freshman. Last year he tossed 9 tds to 6 ints in 6 games. Plus almost 500 yards rushing. That looks like improvement to me.

Reactions: 4 people

This is a very important statistic and reveals that we UT fans are overlooking some serious deficiencies in Dobbs as a QB, although his sophomore stats of 9/6 tell a better version of where he is currently as a QB with the caveat that the beat down of a worn down, bad UK team padded these stats with a 3/0 input. First, he has proven several things: (1) he is a game breaking, smooth, gliding runner who has made the vast majority of his big plays with his feet and this, so far, is his best skill as a QB, (2) he, as a sophomore, was a gamer and had a knack for winning (by far, his most important attribute but this attribute is conflated by the miracle USCe comeback that first required UT to blow a halftime lead by the offense stalling for 1 1/2 quarters in the second half and for USCe to choke away a two touchdown lead in the 4th quarter), (3) he is, by a wide margin, our best option at QB at the present time, and (4) he was a vastly superior option to Worley given our OL woes and the offense we ran in 2014. Second, he has not proven (1) that he is an All-SEC level passer or (2) that he is capable of making plays, both throwing and running, for a full season when teams have film and will game plan for him. My expectation is that Dobbs will have improved dramatically with him being the starter since the midpoint of last year and he will have the benefit of running with the 1s all spring, summer, and fall. I also think his decision making will have improved and that he will be a more accurate passer. I don't, however, think he will morph into one of the best passers in the SEC and the 2015 offense will be run oriented since Dobbs and Hurd running is the one well defined attribute of the offense and I think Kamara will add another element with his skill set and athleticism. If the OL gives Dobbs time and Dobbs has dramatically improved as a passer, we will have a lethal offense since the WRs I think just need opportunities.

This is a very important statistic and reveals that we UT fans are overlooking some serious deficiencies in Dobbs as a QB, although his sophomore stats of 9/6 tell a better version of where he is currently as a QB with the caveat that the beat down of a worn down, bad UK team padded these stats with a 3/0 input. First, he has proven several things: (1) he is a game breaking, smooth, gliding runner who has made the vast majority of his big plays with his feet and this, so far, is his best skill as a QB, (2) he, as a sophomore, was a gamer and had a knack for winning (by far, his most important attribute but this attribute is conflated by the miracle USCe comeback that first required UT to blow a halftime lead by the offense stalling for 1 1/2 quarters in the second half and for USCe to choke away a two touchdown lead in the 4th quarter), (3) he is, by a wide margin, our best option at QB at the present time, and (4) he was a vastly superior option to Worley given our OL woes and the offense we ran in 2014. Second, he has not proven (1) that he is an All-SEC level passer or (2) that he is capable of making plays, both throwing and running, for a full season when teams have film and will game plan for him. My expectation is that Dobbs will have improved dramatically with him being the starter since the midpoint of last year and he will have the benefit of running with the 1s all spring, summer, and fall. I also think his decision making will have improved and that he will be a more accurate passer. I don't, however, think he will morph into one of the best passers in the SEC and the 2015 offense will be run oriented since Dobbs and Hurd running is the one well defined attribute of the offense and I think Kamara will add another element with his skill set and athleticism. If the OL gives Dobbs time and Dobbs has dramatically improved as a passer, we will have a lethal offense since the WRs I think just need opportunities.

I swear no QB is ever good enough for volnation !!!!

Even Peyton manning was criticized for not being able to run lol .

Why can't we just be excited about what our QB can do and not constantly talk about what they can't .

Reactions: 3 people
If the spring game was any indication, he's improved dramatically.

He looked good but still struggled to lead receivers down field.

The accuracy competition suggests that it isn't an inability to put the ball where it needs to be. He just doesn't seem to be anticipating the receiver well. I would like to see Dobbs dropping the ball in like Dormady did on the TD pass to Malone on a consistent basis.

I'm nitpicking a little. Dobbs still brings a lot to the table. But if he could consistently throw the deep ball well.... this could get really, really good.

There are questions on Dobbs passing but they have been intertwined with the o-line and the health of our recievers. All 3 should take a large step forward this year. He has 2 skill sets which offset any touch issues he may have, leadership and play making ability.

Last year, Dobbs threw one INT every 35 attempts vs the SEC. Prescott threw an INT once every 31 attempts vs the SEC. It is an area for improvement but it isn't the panic some suggest.

Interestingly enough, without Vandy, his INT % would have been similar to the SEC's leaders.

I'm glad Woodson is still playing on. I guess he and Peyton are just gonna stare at each other until one blinks and retires

Both have been great pros, both will be first ballot hall of famers......and Woodson still has Manning's heisman trophy.

Just like Elway said, "the run game will be Peyton's best friend this year." Same goes for Dobbs

It fairness, the backup has become so popular for us recently because the starter (whomever) just hasn't won much. And then last year, we ran the read option with Worley (who my 7 year old could out run...and that literally not a joke) knowing that Dobbs was sitting on the bench.

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

:)

Last year, Dobbs threw one INT every 35 attempts vs the SEC. Prescott threw an INT once every 31 attempts vs the SEC. It is an area for improvement but it isn't the panic some suggest.

Interestingly enough, without Vandy, his INT % would have been similar to the SEC's leaders.

I don't know how anybody could watch those last 5 games and not think we have something special here with Dobbs. Sure he needs to work on some things. But so does every QB. Tennessee fans rather than trying to pick holes in Dobbs game should thank their lucky stars they actually have a QB that almost every other team in the SEC would die for.

No, it was a joke. Doubt your second grader can run a sub 5 second 40.

Worley couldn't run a sub 5 second 40 either. I'll always remember the play against Oklahoma when it looked as if Worley would just walk into the end zone...then the defender comes into the screen and instead of diving for the end zone he tries to throw a stiff arm. On the next play, he throws a pic 6.
We won't have to worry about it this year when we play them

Worley couldn't run a sub 5 second 40 either. I'll always remember the play against Oklahoma when it looked as if Worley would just walk into the end zone...then the defender comes into the screen and instead of diving for the end zone he tries to throw a stiff arm. On the next play, he throws a pic 6.
We won't have to worry about it this year when we play them

Yes he could. Worley wasn't a extraordinarily slow runner, nor was he a poor runner. He was an incredibly reluctant runner. According to nflscout.com, he ran a low time of 4.82

Justin Worley*|*Tennessee,*QB*:*2015 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Reactions: 3 people
He looked good but still struggled to lead receivers down field.

The accuracy competition suggests that it isn't an inability to put the ball where it needs to be. He just doesn't seem to be anticipating the receiver well. I would like to see Dobbs dropping the ball in like Dormady did on the TD pass to Malone on a consistent basis.

I'm nitpicking a little. Dobbs still brings a lot to the table. But if he could consistently throw the deep ball well.... this could get really, really good.

I only remember one pass where this was the case, honestly. It was the first drive where he got pressured and had to throw on the run. Other than that I didn't see anything to suggest he's struggling to lead the receiver.

Reactions: 2 people
I only remember one pass where this was the case, honestly. It was the first drive where he got pressured and had to throw on the run. Other than that I didn't see anything to suggest he's struggling to lead the receiver.

He threw short on the same pattern Dormady hit except on the other side. I believe Pig was the target and had a step but had to wait on the ball.

Put Dormady in!!
Put Dormady in!!
Put Dormady in!!

*Dormandy

As in: "Dadgum! Dobbs dun thrown another interception! How come we ain't playing that Dormandy kid! I seen him in the spring game and he looked dang good! All Dobbs can do is run the ball. Dormandy is gonna be the next Peyton."

VN Store

Back