Maybe I'm missing something

That was a great team. A lot of role players had to step up in that Miami game. Jeff Powell and Daryl Dickey were not exactly superstar players but they were on that night. Anyway, back to the point. We better hope Butch picks up some big commits to fill up this class. As of now the avg point ranking is really low. Whiffing on Richardson , Stevens and Rodgers was a big blow. It now looks like Higgins is slow playing us and wants to go Clemson. Those losses are tough to swallow.

So much wrong in here.

This 3 star stuff is really misleading. They may be three stars on 247, but Henderson, Labruzza, Bumphus and Bennett are all 4 stars on other sites; Fant was a 4 star before he got injured and as long as he stays healthy, it seems that most expect him to be a 4 star again following the season. I think most of the places I have read expect Bembry, Jackson and Lawson to get a bump. My personal opinion is that Coleman is better than a 3 star as well, but that is jmo. This 3 star stuff is overblown considering these facts.

And then you have the crap on everything crowd that does the opposite.
All relative I guess.

Not speaking for the other guy but I have said for a long time that the avg stars or numerical rating was more important than the class ranking by formula.

I think about the only meaningful way to use those rankings is to compare the composite star or numerical average for the roster or for the 4 years that mostly fill the roster.

Not speaking for the other guy but I have said for a long time that the avg stars or numerical rating was more important than the class ranking by formula.

I think about the only meaningful way to use those rankings is to compare the composite star or numerical average for the roster or for the 4 years that mostly fill the roster.

Honestly, I'm fairly indifferent.
I want the highest rated class we can get but I don't negative overload as long as it's a good class.

I don't know how much truth there is to Auburn and Ole Miss having deeper pockets and things like that but I do know the following -

Saban is the best I've seen at recruiting and Georgia/Florida/aTm have the deepest pools by far. Being a recruits state school isn't a guarantee but nobody will deny it gives you a better start.

Jones has shown that he is no slouch at recruiting so I no longer buy the
"He can't" ideology.
Times have changed and the popular premise of "we're Tennessee, all he has to do is stand there and accept signatures" is just ridiculous at this point. (Not meaning you, just in general).
I'm just glad that we have a good recruiter and that he is gaining a reputation for developing talent.
We definitely will not have the highest rated class this season but..
We haven't for awhile now and yet here we are, floating the idea of making the playoffs.

Sorry so lengthy.

Honestly, I'm fairly indifferent.
I want the highest rated class we can get but I don't negative overload as long as it's a good class.

I don't know how much truth there is to Auburn and Ole Miss having deeper pockets and things like that but I do know the following -

Saban is the best I've seen at recruiting and Georgia/Florida/aTm have the deepest pools by far. Being a recruits state school isn't a guarantee but nobody will deny it gives you a better start.

Jones has shown that he is no slouch at recruiting so I no longer buy the
"He can't" ideology.
Times have changed and the popular premise of "we're Tennessee, all he has to do is stand there and accept signatures" is just ridiculous at this point. (Not meaning you, just in general).
I'm just glad that we have a good recruiter and that he is gaining a reputation for developing talent.
We definitely will not have the highest rated class this season but..
We haven't for awhile now and yet here we are, floating the idea of making the playoffs.

Sorry so lengthy.
When Jones was hired, I believed and said that his calling card was doing more with less... developing players.

I was initially surprised and pleased with his recruiting and surprised and displeased with what looked like fairly poor player development.

The development end has kind of come around IMO.... but he still needs to recruit great, not good, talent to survive in the SEC.

I am honestly a little perplexed that UT isn't in better shape with the #1 player in the state according to 247. But hopefully they'll catch up elsewhere.

When Jones was hired, I believed and said that his calling card was doing more with less... developing players.

I was initially surprised and pleased with his recruiting and surprised and displeased with what looked like fairly poor player development.

The development end has kind of come around IMO.... but he still needs to recruit great, not good, talent to survive in the SEC.

I am honestly a little perplexed that UT isn't in better shape with the #1 player in the state according to 247. But hopefully they'll catch up elsewhere.

Jones came in and recruited heavy using playing time. He can't use that this year so he's having to sell the recruits on the university, his coaching style, winning tradition, and NFL preparation. Problem is he hasn't been winning here, campus is constantly under construction, and he hasn't had a player drafted in 2 years.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones came in and recruited heavy using playing time. He can't use that this year so he's having to sell the recruits on the university, his coaching style, winning tradition, and NFL preparation. Problem is he hasn't been winning here, campus is constantly under construction, and he hasn't had a player drafted in 2 years.

Yeah, well, he hasn't recruited anyone who has graduated yet, so let's not make too big of a deal about that. Five Vols listed on the most recent AA lists? (Including a couple of 3* recruits). I think he probably has a pretty good argument he can make to recruits about development. "Hasn't been winning here". That's laughable... And didnt Butch recruit a "zero star" lineman who went first round a couple of years ago? If you insist on being negative, you can always find a reason I suppose if you are shallow enough in your thinking. I will suggest that Bob Weldon is probably a better talent evaluator than Rivals staff.

Reactions: 4 people

Reading a post like this is healthy for me.

It reminds me that 1) everyone has a different perspective, 2) I can't possibly understand from where each one comes, and 3) it doesn't really matter if I do or not in the long run anyway.

And that's good....Because if reaching understanding or agreement on the internet did matter, I think my head would explode from trying to come within a country mile of matching facts with this. Wow.

Reactions: 2 people
So I guess you are saying that you are happy with the class we have. You must be wearing some serious blinders if you think we are going to compete with the upper echelon of the SEC by signing a lot of 3 star players. Now that is what I SERIOUSLY believe. You know this was a great year for in - state talent and we are letting too many get away. Bad job by Butch. SERIOUSLY.

Class ain't finished...nowhere near...and if you did more than occasionally troll on here, you'd know that. You were chirping this same defeatist jive two years ago. Saying we were going to miss out on Phillips BEFORE Richmond...you were conspicuously absent on those post NSD threads. :lol: Kept saying "we" back then too. :lol: Uppin your game this year with prediction of a 30ish ranked class but you expose yourself further when you talk about "worst recruiting since early 80s". As Coach Matthews stated this morning, from 83 to 2004 we stood with any program in the country...those EARLY 80s recruiting classes set us up for that. Troll away pretender...good job good effort! :clapping: Extra credit if you can tell us who Coach Matthews is to us without Googling. :)

Higgins or Smith? Damn good shape with both. If you're talking Stevens? Even trade with Gibbs IMO. :)

Majors had the number one class in 1977, his first year. After that he was not a great recruiter. He landed some good players here and there but his classes were nowhere near what Fulmer used to bring in.

Bull...talent set us up for a good long run. Fulmer built on that success.

I can understand if you want to discuss how the media treats certain schools, but come on man these are recruiting rankings. So do you actually believe if Georgia, Oklahoma, or OSU had our exact same class ESPN would bump up the ratings for specific players of a school they like?

Yes

VN Store

Back