Maurice Clarett speaks to Vols

Good job by the staff to allow Clarett to speak to the team. Also glad to hear that he is doing positive things in life, as an earlier poster stated.

Reactions: 1 person
His 30 for 30 showed just how insane his life has been.

Glad to see he's been making the most of his second (well, maybe 3rd) chance in life.

Thought he was in jail for having sex with a minor. I can't keep up....

Yeah. Hooker that turned out to be underage...not sure though what ruling/punishment ended up as though.

Last edited:
I see the holier than thou crowd is out in full effect.
I think that is good to have those that have made mistakes in life talk to these young men. It's really easy to preach to people if you have lived the perfect life. It has a little more weight when you have screwed up and learned from it. There is more of a sense of urgency to get your message across coming from that perspective.
I sincerely nominate my personal favorite VFL Leonard Little to be the next to address this team about life's hard lessons.

Reactions: 6 people
I see the holier than thou crowd is out in full effect.
I think that is good to have those that have made mistakes in life talk to these young men. It's really easy to preach to people if you have lived the perfect life. It has a little more weight when you have screwed up and learned from it. There is more of a sense of urgency to get your message across coming from that perspective.
I sincerely nominate my personal favorite VFL Leonard Little to be the next to address this team about life's hard lessons.

Trust me, Doyle. Nothing in this thread thus far reeks of holier than thou. A lot of smartass comments but little else. Just standard VN drivel and booger picking, nothing unusual. . Look back and read some stuff that has in the past been posted about Memphis, Murfreesboro, Bryce Brown, Tee Martin, posts directed at targeted posters, and dare I say it? Even Phil Fulmer. You will then see holier than thou is its ugliest forms and beyond. This ain't it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There's no need to get all worked up over a healthy dose of frivolity, but seriously, MC has come a long way. Glad he was able to come talk to the vols. GBO

College aged athletes need examples of athletes doing it right AND examples of complete screw ups like Clarett. I think the contrast helps them distinguish between good decisions and judgement, and bad decisions and judgement.

I wonder if Inky will come back this year?

I agree with Doyle...the folks on here posting things like, "let's invite Rae Carruth to talk to them about being good boyfriends/husbands," are missing the point of having someone like Clarett talk to the team. To me, those comments sound as ignorant as someone saying, in jest, "let's have Inky Johnson come talk to the team about tackling with good form." (and I don't mean your comment, GiveAllVol, it seems you are asking in sincerity). It's idiotic to think that current players can't learn a lesson (the easy way) by hearing from someone who has learned a lesson (the hard way).

Reactions: 5 people
I agree with Doyle...the folks on here posting things like, "let's invite Rae Carruth to talk to them about being good boyfriends/husbands," are missing the point of having someone like Clarett talk to the team. To me, those comments sound as ignorant as someone saying, in jest, "let's have Inky Johnson come talk to the team about tackling with good form." (and I don't mean your comment, GiveAllVol, it seems you are asking in sincerity). It's idiotic to think that current players can't learn a lesson (the easy way) by hearing from someone who has learned a lesson (the hard way).

+1

Colin Cowherd was on the radio one day and was talking about how it's plain stupid to have guys like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady come talk to new rookie players before summer camps start. People were mad because the NFL wanted Packman Jones to give a speech to all the NFL rookies. The best lessons learned in life are those learned from someone who massively screwed up. Manning and Brady are perfect role models, but Packman can really teach you what not to do because he did it. I just though this story went hand in hand with what you were saying.

VN Store

Back