Masters of the Air (Apple TV+) (January 26, 2024)

Crazy all those guys were still alive when it was released. Seem like yesterday.
I think part of the appeal of the show was how much you learned about those guys in Easy Co. They were from everywhere and there was someone in the story that you could find relatable. It seems like they did a helluva job casting for it too.

I think part of the appeal of the show was how much you learned about those guys in Easy Co. They were from everywhere and there was someone in the story that you could find relatable. It seems like they did a helluva job casting for it too.

It's Spiers for me.

Thats who I relate to.

He's exactly like me.

the book describes the American bombers had a very very low survival rate.
I dont know how they would get out of the plane when it got hit and flatspinned, just crazy. I know Vietnam helicopter door gunners had a ridiculously high casulty rate too.

Loved BOB and The Pacific. I really like this one, but a clear 3rd place of all
I haven't started watching it yet. This is disappointing to here though because, in my opinion, The Pacific was a massive drop-off from Band of Brothers. If it ends up being a consensus that this is clearly not as good as The Pacific, I may pass on watching it altogether.

I haven't started watching it yet. This is disappointing to here though because, in my opinion, The Pacific was a massive drop-off from Band of Brothers. If it ends up being a consensus that this is clearly not as good as The Pacific, I may pass on watching it altogether.
It’s definitely worth watching. Not saying it’s bad, just hard to compare to the others. Maybe because those guys were on the ground. They felt more intense

Reactions: hog88
Everything is a fall off from BoB. Everything.

I’m not caught up but episode where they fly to Algeria was good.

I don’t find Austin Butler credible in this series.
that's one of the things that has stood out to me. casting was always solid as heck. Snafu's portrayal in The Pacific was very very odd at first. More I watched it, the more I appreciated how much depth the actor gave that character.

Butler brings nothing.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
Without spoilers: I think one of the biggest problems is the subject matter itself. By keeping true to historical accuracy, it's really hard to get very attached to any of the characters.... they probably aren't going to stick around long.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Without spoilers: I think one of the biggest problems is the subject matter itself. By keeping true to historical accuracy, it's really hard to get very attached to any of the characters.... they probably aren't going to stick around long.
I haven't watched any of it yet. Did they have two whole episodes dedicated to character development before combat even began like they did in Band of Brothers? The character development in BOB is a big part of what sets that series apart from The Pacific.

I haven't watched any of it yet. Did they have two whole episodes dedicated to character development before combat even began like they did in Band of Brothers? The character development in BOB is a big part of what sets that series apart from The Pacific.

Not really.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
I think you're getting ready to see why.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
There is a little of that in the beginning, but without spoiling much, you will see why they didn't waste a lot of time...

I've been reading some about the young men that flew in the B17 crews.

A tail gunner had an average life expectancy of 4-6 weeks once assigned. That's insane. Oh, and men were lined up for the position. 11 missions was the o/u survival of a B17 crew.

I've been reading some about the young men that flew in the B17 crews.

A tail gunner had an average life expectancy of 4-6 weeks once assigned. That's insane. Oh, and men were lined up for the position. 11 missions was the o/u survival of a B17 crew.

Read "Masters of the Air" by Donald Miller. IMO it was criminal how we used those men.

VN Store

Back