Martin radio Interview

Hell, I just loved finally seeing a well coached team in Knoxville that played fundamentally sound basketball, like when they closed out on a shooter, they didn't go flying out there off their feet like a bunch of jackasses.

Reactions: 1 person
I have heard a lot about Martin's high moral standard. The sequence of events leading up to his departure make me doubt. Remember, he tells us that he is all in at UT just a few days before leaving for the Cal interview. He recruits a player knowing he is not planning on staying and takes the kid with him to Cal. I suspect the kid was told not to sign until the coaching change was announced.

I have a very difficult te respecting him after this.

He's a cancer survivor, and former pro athlete I believe him when he says the petition didn't really bother him.

Lance Armstrong ia a cancer survivor and former pro athlete as well. Didn't stop hime from lying. And no, I'm not saying CCM is lying(about the petition), but your logic is extremely flawed.

Last edited:
Martin said in the interview that Cal reached out to him right after we lost to UF in the SEC tournament. That means at the very least he's been deceptive as that had to be something in the back of his mind when he was publicly declaring he would be staying at UT. IMO, Martin and Hart have both told lies in order to save face. Some will argue "that's just business" or "that's how the game is played", but lying is lying and I see no need to excuse either man for their actions. They did what they did, we most likely won't ever know the full story, but all we can do as fans is move on.

I will say it would be nice to see a national piece decrying their actions since the national media felt the need to take all Vol fans to task when it wasn't all Vol fans(probably not even the majority) that participated in the negative activities. Broad strokes were used to paint a negative portrayal of our entire fanbase. But I guess accuracy doesn't get your articles read.

I get contacted by recruiters once a month, if not more. Does that mean that if and when I change jobs, I've been deceptive because I've had these contacts in the back of my mind for X period of time? No, it just means that I realize that there are options in my life, and if and when I feel it's time for a change, those options represent possibilities.

I sure don't believe any speech or press release regarding employment in the sports field, college or pro. People can "plan" to stay, in the sense that there aren't any firm plans to do otherwise at that moment, and then things change. Did you want him to announce all the possibilities floating around? Would you do that, in that situation?

You're making too much of this. If CCM and his family weren't all that happy in Knoxville, for whatever reason, they had every reason in the world to move on. Not every change has to include screaming and burning mattresses. I agree with the others that it's a win-win. Everyone saw that it wasn't a good fit; time to move on. Life's too short to be miserable.

jmo

Reactions: 2 people
Hell, I just loved finally seeing a well coached team in Knoxville that played fundamentally sound basketball, like when they closed out on a shooter, they didn't go flying out there off their feet like a bunch of jackasses.

Don't be sad. Florida will play at TBA in next year.

Actually, at this point, people wanted him gone, and he obliged by leaving. Instead of wishing him luck and agreeing it was best for both sides, they want to continue the bashing as he heads out the door. But, that's what people do.

Most of the strife in the Pat Forde/ESPN world and on this site stems from an INTERNET PETITION that individuals (like myself) could easily click on...and express dissatisfaction with a program that had lost to an undermanned AND talentless Vandy team AND SWEPT BY A PUTRID TEXAS A&M TEAM!!! The coach and team went on an impressive junket of quality basketball after www.faninjusticeapocalypse.com. Cuonzo and his team earned backing and support and he reached a crossroads. Use this year and make his brand at Tennessee...(fans would have been supportive as long as his team showed a response to teachings) or cash his chips and play it safe.

He played it safe and hasn't contributed to the ancillary blame game his players and disciples seem bent on...piled on by the bored national stage who want to gasp at perceived wrongs until Manziel get's drafted :eek:hmy:

All you doomsday songsters who claim inside knowledge of the inner workings at UT...DON'T BE IN SUCH A HURRY TO BE RIGHT! Cuonzo didn't make two million off the bat because he was a third or fourth choice hailing from Missouri State...Hart hasn't skimped on a hire monetarily wise during his short tenure...let him do so first before scrolling it on Moses' tablet... As sos. :hi:

I get contacted by recruiters once a month, if not more. Does that mean that if and when I change jobs, I've been deceptive because I've had these contacts in the back of my mind for X period of time? No, it just means that I realize that there are options in my life, and if and when I feel it's time for a change, those options represent possibilities.

I sure don't believe any speech or press release regarding employment in the sports field, college or pro. People can "plan" to stay, in the sense that there aren't any firm plans to do otherwise at that moment, and then things change. Did you want him to announce all the possibilities floating around? Would you do that, in that situation?

You're making too much of this. If CCM and his family weren't all that happy in Knoxville, for whatever reason, they had every reason in the world to move on. Not every change has to include screaming and burning mattresses. I agree with the others that it's a win-win. Everyone saw that it wasn't a good fit; time to move on. Life's too short to be miserable.

jmo

So you agree with me that he did lie to some extent? That's the point I was making. I haven't advocated burning mattresses, I just say let's call it like it is. He did what he felt was best for his family. I'm okay with that. He wasn't totally honest with some of his statements. I get the why, but still think it wrong. I believe in honesty. But hey, that's just me.

Lance Armstrong ia a cancer survivor and former pro athlete as well. Didn't stop hime from lying. And no, I'm not saying CCM is lying(about the petition), but your logic is extremely flawed.

I'm just saying I don't think the pressure bothered him. Not that he wouldn't lie about doing performance enhancing drugs.

So Martin really said nothing revealing, though perhaps he hinted that he didn't get enough love from the fans. The team was no better than average under Martin--and we had some talent. That was one issue. The second is that, while he's a good man, he's got no personality. You've got to have some energy and personality to be a success at a big program. He couldn't deal with the pressures of a fairly big program--that's my take. Was his salary really 11th best in the SEC? I find that hard to believe. Are we really playing less than south carolina and miss. state?

So Martin really said nothing revealing, though perhaps he hinted that he didn't get enough love from the fans. The team was no better than average under Martin--and we had some talent. That was one issue. The second is that, while he's a good man, he's got no personality. You've got to have some energy and personality to be a success at a big program. He couldn't deal with the pressures of a fairly big program--that's my take. Was his salary really 11th best in the SEC? I find that hard to believe. Are we really playing less than south carolina and miss. state?

Less than South Carolina, more than Miss. St.

The petition was a stupid idea, but any coach who lets internet fan idiocy bother him is headed for trouble. Martin is mellow. Does anybody think he will succeed at Cal? He will be fired in four years unless he does just enough to satisfy the athletic department at a university that is far more interested in academics than athletics.

A lot of opinions being formed on speculation and probably misinformation. Not that any of it matters, Martin is gone and we are getting a new coach. Lots of people wanted that.

A lot of opinions being formed on speculation and probably misinformation. Not that any of it matters, Martin is gone and we are getting a new coach. Lots of people wanted that.

They wanted to break up with him, not have him break up with them. They are writing in their journals about it right now. They even gave his new team the stink eye in the hallway.

Reactions: 2 people
So you agree with me that he did lie to some extent? That's the point I was making. I haven't advocated burning mattresses, I just say let's call it like it is. He did what he felt was best for his family. I'm okay with that. He wasn't totally honest with some of his statements. I get the why, but still think it wrong. I believe in honesty. But hey, that's just me.

I do understand what you're saying. I just think that public statements like these are incredibly artificial, our modern version of 19th century diplomacy. There are very few bluntly honest speakers in sports (flash to a boozy Terry Bradshaw on Johnny Carson.) Instead, there's this excruciatingly careful PR-speak, calculated to sound nice and mean nothing.

Sports is now Big Business, and Big Business is now politics, so I believe coach-speak and AD-speak as much as I believe anything from Chevron or Washington DC.

--anyone else remember Kevin O'Neill talking in the pre-season about the miserable passing skills soon to be on display? He said he was considering issuing football helmets to fans in the first few rows to protect them from errant basketballs. I thought it was hysterical, but O'Neill got a lot of criticism for his nastiness. We think we want truth, but we don't much like it when it cuts too close.

VN Store

Back