Martin radio Interview

Okay, March 11th. That's still over a month. That's a long time to keep a secret. Hell, I doubt the NSA can keep a secret for a month.

If that is true, the dynamics are really interesting. It most definitely was just preliminary interest, but it also means that Martin knew about other school's interest before he made the tournament run.

Re: the petition and fans, I read a lot of contradiction in those statements. I think it affected him more than he let on just based on some of those statements.

No that's what you wanted to read. To me he was hinting that it was affecting his players more than him directly. Now indirectly....his players struggling with it may have bothered him.

Reactions: 2 people
He knew, like all the rest of us, that next season was going to be hard. Which would bring out the boo birds and demands for his termination. Win-win. We dodged a bullet.

Let's face it, if he could recruit and coach the way he needed to with all of the fan and university support he had - he would have been more successful and still here. Good luck to him and find us a great coach, Hart.

All the fan and university support?????? People didn't want him the day he showed up and stayed in that camp the next 3 years

Reactions: 1 person
But it totally ends there. He was mediocre at best as a basketball coach. He was going to have his rear end handed to him this coming season and his weakness as both a recruiter and as a coach were going to get exposed for all to see.

He left at the perfect time for him because he was going to get fired here after another year or two.

Yeah, he had his own fans chanting for his predecessor at games, starting a petition, and his team was almost out of NCAA consideration; so he rallies the team and goes on a tear ending up a basket away from the Elite 8. What a pansy.

His team should have been on a tear from day one last season. Instead, they choked it against UTEP, then Xavier, Tex AM twice, a depleted Vandy team, give me a freakin’ break. Then they go on a streak against a string of teams who couldn’t beat Tex AM, yet A&M’s RPI was horrible. Tennessee sneaks into the NCAA for a play in game and barely got by a lousy Iowa team. I was there and saw it firsthand, and unlike any other play in team in Dayton, our team was the only team with the guys watching the game before theirs from the stands that entire 2nd half. There was no control on that team. The players ran the show. No wonder they liked Guonzo so much.

And the guy spoke about “life” all the time, well, man up then. Your team is 16-11 facing the very real possibility of the NIT.....AGAIN! And if you’re in the NIT, at least show up for the game, unlike last year’s ridiculous effort in a home loss to Mercer that reflected squarely on the coach, who cared less. So, yeah, he’s a pansy for going out two weeks ago and saying he’s all about UT when in reality he couldn’t stand the heat. It’s big boy ball man. You think Calipari or Pitino or Donovan haven’t felt heat from the fans. He’s no example for a tougher breed, that’s for sure.

If that is true, the dynamics are really interesting. It most definitely was just preliminary interest, but it also means that Martin knew about other school's interest before he made the tournament run.

The more I think about it, the more it bugs me. Keeping that info underwraps was smart business for him, but it also brings into question his honesty and sincerity. That Cal option was out there when he was publicly declaring he would stay at UT just a couple of weeks ago. I won't fault the man for doing what he feels is best for his family, but knowing now that he's had that Cal option out there and it wasn't something that just sprung up out of nowhere, I feel deceived.

His personality was not a good fit here. especially among the majority of fans. He and BP are polar opposites. Throw in the fact BP made the NCAA every year, while CCM missed 2 of 3. The man could have stayed and climbed that mountain for years, and likely would have never knocked BP from the summit. Why would anyone with any self respect and common sense put themselves through that? They wouldn't, he didn't, and I respect him more for seeing the writing on the wall than I ever did his coaching ability. Best of luck CCM.

BP,BP,BP,BP,BP, that's the problem.

"In order for the University of Tennessee, the fan base, to get what they need and what they're looking for..."

In other words, the petition was a factor, and I can't blame him for leaving. Why would you stay at a school and in a town where the majority do not want you around?

His personality was not a good fit here. especially among the majority of fans. He and BP are polar opposites. Throw in the fact BP made the NCAA every year, while CCM missed 2 of 3. The man could have stayed and climbed that mountain for years, and likely would have never knocked BP from the summit. Why would anyone with any self respect and common sense put themselves through that? They wouldn't, he didn't, and I respect him more for seeing the writing on the wall than I ever did his coaching ability. Best of luck CCM.

If people would stop pining over the one that's not here, everyone would be better off. BP is not here, and he is not coming back. Get over it and move on. UT would do well to invest in counselors for our fan base. Some of them are so obsessive that they refuse to let the past stay in the past.

"In order for the University of Tennessee, the fan base, to get what they need and what they're looking for..."

In other words, the petition was a factor, and I can't blame him for leaving. Why would you stay at a school and in a town where the majority do not want you around?

The answer to your question is there are 1.8 million reasons why. Did he get his little feelers hurt? If so, he should have come out and said so two weeks ago when he said he was all in for UT. Instead he lied so that he could work his way out of town, weasel style. It’s this kind of crap that got the petition going in the first place. His deception is just as bad, if not worse, than Pearl’s misdeeds on the hill.

Well since he knew about this job a month ago, I guess that takes the whole rushed timing part about leaving the team without speaking and taking the commitment off the table.

That’s a lot of forked tongue BS. For a guy who made his motto to be a “tougher breed”, he sure handled everything like a wimp. It’s not about the money? Right. I’m sure he’ll be driving a volkswagon and living in a 3 bedroom condo in Berkley? NOT!

He never warmed to the University or the area. If you’re going to coach, you have to recruit, and if you’re going to recruit successfully, you better appeal to the fans and the kids in the state of Tennessee especially(SEE BUTCH JONES!).

Typical BS from a fan.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with pretty much everything he said. I would've done the same thing...I think we all would have.

He may be if he left for similar money when he finds out what the cost of living is in Berkeley. He better hope money isn't an issue. $1.3 mil goes a lot further in Knoxville than it does in Berkeley, CA.

Just ask the Stanford football staff under Harbaugh. Most of them lived in on campus housing cause the COL is so high.

The answer to your question is there are 1.8 million reasons why. Did he get his little feelers hurt? If so, he should have come out and said so two weeks ago when he said he was all in for UT. Instead he lied so that he could work his way out of town, weasel style. It’s this kind of crap that got the petition going in the first place. His deception is just as bad, if not worse, than Pearl’s misdeeds on the hill.

Did Cuonzo steal your girl friend in high school or something? You seem to have a lot of venom for a man you have probably never met. You wanted him gone, and he left, and now you're mad?

Yeah, he had his own fans chanting for his predecessor at games, starting a petition, and his team was almost out of NCAA consideration; so he rallies the team and goes on a tear ending up a basket away from the Elite 8. What a pansy.

Rallies his team? lmao. The players started playing harder against weaker competition in hopes of saving their coach. Martin had nothing to do with it.

Rallies his team? lmao. The players started playing harder against weaker competition in hopes of saving their coach. Martin had nothing to do with it.

You also seem to have personal issues with Martin. Why hold on to the bitterness. You wanted him gone, he left, you're team is coming off a sweet 16 run that ended in the last seconds of the game, and all you can do is lash out at the coach you hated for leaving. It doesn't make much sense.

Him and his family probably didn't like knoxville. He turned down Marquette, but they probably just decided if a good job pops up they would go.

He's a cancer survivor, and former pro athlete I believe him when he says the petition didn't really bother him.

His fault when his team lost to inferior teams, but he had nothing to do with their run of crushing inferior teams by 30 points? Gotcha. Solid logic.

VN Store

Back